It actually happened! An AMAZING UPGRADE FAIRY JUST VISITED!

Never in all our years of cruising have we ever been offered an upgrade and we cruise 8 weeks a year minimum. We do get the upsell calls. My guess is that statistically it has to do with the category you book. For instance if you book an OS there are fewer options for a true upgrade but if you book a JS there are more.

We did try for a good upsell deal on Radiance recently. The RS was available 3 weeks prior to the cruise so we called, told them we were in an OS, and asked what kind of deal they would give us if we changed to the RS. They didn't give any, it was still full price, so we passed. Not sure if that room was empty of occupied for that cruise.

Will they call you if you booked with a TA or just if you booked with RCI?

You'll be called either way.

Never in all our years of cruising have we ever been offered an upgrade and we cruise 8 weeks a year minimum. We do get the upsell calls. My guess is that statistically it has to do with the category you book. For instance if you book an OS there are fewer options for a true upgrade but if you book a JS there are more.

Absolutely perfectly said imho.

In spring 2015 there was talk about upsells starting and upgrades being phased out. I believe I was one of those first groups of cruisers to report on CC that I received a very good upsell. I was offered a balcony from an interior. The criteria? I asked specifically how they were doing it and it was based on C&A points.... the higher the level cruiser you are on that specific sailing will depend on what order they call. Also, like DShock perfectly said above, if you are already in a JS and there are no GS's available, they will not call you regardless of how many C&A points you have. I know from our roll call and in the DL/CL that several cruisers above (and below) me received calls.... one of them specifically said no to an upgrade as she has motion issues and wanted to keep her mid-ship balcony. I amazingly went from an interior to a any balcony I wanted... my TA and Royal were on line right then and there and I had to make my decision immediately. There were 2 aft balconies balconies left and I was able to grab one of them!!

So if you happen to be Diamond, and sail predominantly on very popular ships and during times of the year where many Diamonds and above are sailing with you, and you book a balcony and above, the chances of you getting an upsell are super small imho (if ever). However, if you sail a less popular ship, at a less popular time of the year , perhaps in an area of the world where there aren't as many C&A members, on a sailing where it is not selling well, and you're booked in an interior for example.... well, perhaps there's a chance you may get a call after all :)

This happened to us in May (would have gone from Grand Suite to Sky Loft on Oasis). But we missed the call. They left a message. By the time we called back they had already given it away. Immediately changed the upgrade/upsell phone number to our cell phones.

And for us there aren't very many rooms we would want to upgrade/upsell to since we are in an OS. Not interested in Crown Loft or any loft that is two levels. And not many cabins/categories that have balconies as large as the OS. I would be tempted in the super large suites, but again, not likely to be upgraded and the upsell price would no doubt be a lot.

We sail on Allure on Sunday in a Grand Suite. I just got a call from RC. It was a 1-866 number, which I never typically answer, especially when I am at work and running to a meeting, but something/someone told me to answer it. Thank goodness I did! They offered me the opportunity to upgrade from a grand suite to a grand loft suite. At first I said no, not realizing it would put us in Star Class (we are pretty infrequent cruisers so am not well versed on what fits where). But then he told me it was Star Class and I quickly did the math. There are 4 of us sailing, and by the time I put in what we would pay for the beverage packages (already bought), the gratuities that Star Class includes as a perk, and a specialty restaurant, the cost to upgrade was only about $400 for all 4 of us in total! So for Star Class, that was a STEAL! So excited! I was going to try to keep it a surprise for my family until they opened up the door to the room, but I think the concierge might meet you at the pier, so that would blow the surprise.

I did ask him if I hadn't picked up the phone would he have left a message, and he said no. He said they continue to run down the list if someone doesn't answer, and if he left messages the room might be gone by the time the person called back, which would have resulted in a bad customer experience. Better to never know!

Can't believe it! We have sailed in a grand suite once before and loved it (2 years ago), so I was very happy with where we were, especially with the new suite perks, but am so excited for this room and to try out Star Class, which we will probably never do again!!

ljcofy

Correct me if I am wrong, but the way I am reading this is that it was not $400 to upgrade but $400 plus the cost of 4 X gratuities for the week plus the cost of 4 X drink packages. ( I assume those are of the alcoholic variety;)) . So if you were not having the drink packages etc the actual cost to upgrade in monetary value was far more than the $400. Am I interpreting that correctly?

I am not saying if that is the case that it's not a bad deal for you as you were buying anyway, but for someone not traveling with 4 in a cabin or that would not need to buy 4 drinks packages, it unfortunately doesn't make it anywhere near as good a deal.

Edited by Spurschick

This happened to us in May (would have gone from Grand Suite to Sky Loft on Oasis). But we missed the call. They left a message. By the time we called back they had already given it away. Immediately changed the upgrade/upsell phone number to our cell phones.

You mean you still have a landline?

Weird.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...
Correct me if I am wrong, but the way I am reading this is that it was not $400 to upgrade but $400 plus the cost of 4 X gratuities for the week plus the cost of 4 X drink packages. ( I assume those are of the alcoholic variety;)) . So if you were not having the drink packages etc the actual cost to upgrade in monetary value was far more than the $400. Am I interpreting that correctly?

I am not saying if that is the case that it's not a bad deal for you as you were buying anyway, but for someone not traveling with 4 in a cabin or that would not need to buy 4 drinks packages, it unfortunately doesn't make it anywhere near as good a deal.

I read it the same way. It was a good deal for HER as she was already planning on spending those $'s. As always YMMV

I read it the same way. It was a good deal for HER as she was already planning on spending those $'s. As always YMMV

I am just curious. Is there a particular reason that you found and commented on this year old thread?