The 250 minutes of Wifi- dollar value

caper508

It's worth about $40 towards something better. They, obviously, won't give you the full retail value of the "free" package.

Not sure where you get this. We selected the internet plan for our Alaska sailing on Pearl last week. I went to buy an unlimited plan ($209, if memory serves), and planned to use the 250 minutes for a second device. The internet manager volunteered that I could apply the $125 value of the minutes to the unlimited plan, and pay only $84 for that. And I subsequently had $58 refunded for two days with significant outage periods. So my out of pocket expense for the unlimited plan was $26. Granted, I'd have rather had those days without interruption and paid the $84, but I was still happy to have the $125 applied.

So the 250 minute free perk can be upgraded to the unlimited minus the full value of 250 minute package? I ask as I will be on the BA this coming September and have the 250 minute wifi pan as a perk but would prefer the unlimited package.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So the 250 minute free perk can be upgraded to the unlimited minus the full value of 250 minute package? I ask as I will be on the BA this coming September and have the 250 minute wifi pan as a perk but would prefer the unlimited package.

Yes, this is exactly what they let me do last week. Your mileage may vary.

I followed one of the links and saw that you can "gift" the wifi package of 250 minutes so it seems they do apply a dollar value.

When we have used wifi in the past, it was not tied to one device. So, anyone could log in if they have your login/password - so no need to actually gift?

How do they manage that with the unlimited?

When we have used wifi in the past, it was not tied to one device. So, anyone could log in if they have your login/password - so no need to actually gift?

How do they manage that with the unlimited?

Whilst it isn't tied to one device, you can only be logged in once at a time. This means that it can be shared, but only if you can coordinate the usage.

It does mean there is a benefit in gifting the package, if you have friends onboard who may want to use the internet, but would keep causing conflicts if you just let them share yours.

The BA is currently the only ship that does NOT sell minutes. They sell data (MBs).

Not sure where you get this. We selected the internet plan for our Alaska sailing on Pearl last week. I went to buy an unlimited plan ($209, if memory serves), and planned to use the 250 minutes for a second device. The internet manager volunteered that I could apply the $125 value of the minutes to the unlimited plan, and pay only $84 for that. And I subsequently had $58 refunded for two days with significant outage periods. So my out of pocket expense for the unlimited plan was $26. Granted, I'd have rather had those days without interruption and paid the $84, but I was still happy to have the $125 applied.

That's Great! I can only report that on the 5 cruises we have taken over the past year (2 this year in April and June), we have never got full retail value credit toward an unlimited plan.

That's Great! I can only report that on the 5 cruises we have taken over the past year (2 this year in April and June), we have never got full retail value credit toward an unlimited plan.

Did you ask? Seems like the person was informed he could do so by someone at the Internet cafe. May be a well kept secret!! Lets hope.

You're on the BA earlier this year and do realized that that "free" promo 250 minutes is really credited as 1GB or 1,000 MB worth of data, and from my experience sailing the BA - it's roughly 1,000+ minutes (just slightly over) - and, that's about 2.5 hours of "on or live" time daily over 6 or 7 days.

We had a 2nd. batch of "free" 250 minutes shared & I used about 550 MB worth during the same week, doing quite a bit of pix or image uploading. To be online with all that time on a mobile device, be sure to have an external USB battery source or quick charging available, as the typical giant smartphone or iPhone these days will yield maybe 3 to 4 hours of SOT on average, especially when roaming or WiFi intensive.

Thus far, has anyone sailing the BA recently (last month or this month/week) confirmed or report the roll-out of the "newest" social media / 3-tiers plan ??

I might've missed it - so far, it's not being listed on our upcoming BA booking later this Fall, it is still blanked out.