Freedom vs Dream - 7 Day Carribean Cruise

Snuckles

I realize that the Dream dry docked in 2017 while the Freedom dry docked in 2014. One would assume that the Dream would be in better shape but looking at the reviews it sound like Freedom is the ship in better shape which is confusing. I need help in picking the right ship for us. We are traveling with a couple of families with the youngest kids in the 13-15 age range. The adult age range from 38 - 53. We are looking to cruise mid-Feb 2018, both ships hit Cozumel which was my main requirement. I recognized that one of the families may not do excursions with an interest in saving $$ so it is entirely possible they they may stay on the ship during port days. We will book some number ocean view and balcony rooms.

Hmmm, what else can I tell you . . . hmmm, the reason for this post is I was looking for something/comparison that's more recent after the Dream dry dock to understand if views have changed.

My family has cruised on the Freedom in 2013 and LOVED IT! Really curious if with the Dream it bring bigger would be better??? This will be the other family's 1st cruise ever.

I understand that the Dream has lots to do but also see many reports of overworked staff during dinners as they try to serve all the tables. I also understand that Dream is bigger and holds more cruisers. Ugh, I'm torn. Anyone have any insight they can offer?

We were on the Freedom in January and going on the Dream May 2018. Even though we liked the Freedom it was our least favorite of any we have sailed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are sailing on the Freedom next month out of Galveston! Only other ship I've been on is the Triumph, and I loved it! I'm not very hard to please when it comes to cruises because hey, I'm simply on a cruise in the tropics. What more could you want! I'll let you know what I think of the Freedom. If you scroll through the threads on here, I've read nothing but great things about the Freedom. One user on here posted a fantastic review of the Freedom not too long ago with great detail and pictures!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

@Argigi - thanks for your response. Do you care to elaborate?

@Tyeomans - would love to hear to hear your thoughts

@BoDidly - thanks for your response although I couldn't tell if you were endorsing both ships

I am a little curious about why you aren't considering the Breeze, which sails out of Galveston like the Freedom does. Breeze is a fantastic ship too. PS - we would choose the Dream or the Breeze because of the Cove Balconies which we love

We are sailing on the Freedom next month out of Galveston! Only other ship I've been on is the Triumph, and I loved it! I'm not very hard to please when it comes to cruises because hey, I'm simply on a cruise in the tropics. What more could you want! I'll let you know what I think of the Freedom. If you scroll through the threads on here, I've read nothing but great things about the Freedom. One user on here posted a fantastic review of the Freedom not too long ago with great detail and pictures!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

If you liked Triumph, you'll like Freedom. I was on Triumph in Sept and Freedom in Feb. At times on the Freedom I felt like I was back on Triumph...They're very similar. Freedom is just a little bigger in the mid section so add in the Red Frog Pub, a bigger buffet (smaller lines), BBQ place,Steak House, etc.

@Argigi - thanks for your response. Do you care to elaborate?

@Tyeomans - would love to hear to hear your thoughts

@BoDidly - thanks for your response although I couldn't tell if you were endorsing both ships[/quote

The only way to find out your preference is to sail one now ,the other later.;p

We sailed on the Dream 2 years ago and will be on the Freedom in 22 days (not counting or anything). These are 2 totally different classes of ships. Personally, I like the Dream layout better than the Conquest style. We sailed the Triumph 4 years ago and enjoyed ourselves but I just don't care for the Lido deck in comparison. The Dream did not have Guys Burgers when we sailed and that was our only disappointment after having it on the Triumph. But...we don't sail for the ships.

The Dream is newer and bigger and IMO has more and better amenities compared to the Freedom. But they are both great ships and I'm sure your group will enjoy either.

The determining factor for me is if I'm flying to the embarkation port. Galveston is a pretty big hassle. The closest airport (Houston Hobby) is an hour away and can be expensive......I prefer the ease of flying into NOLA.

I don't do excursions in Coz anymore since I've been there dozens of times, but I do enjoy getting off the ship and doing a little shopping at the Puerta Maya shops. I also wander over to Poncho's Backyard for some guacamole and margarita's.

I've been on the Freedom twice, most recently this past February. I really like this size of ship. One of the things I liked most about the Freedom is that the aft pool WAS adult only. They changed it to family friendly not long after my last cruise. I'll be on her again next February so we'll see then what my feelings are about the changes.

And, I really like that the Freedom leaves and returns on Saturday. Makes it much nicer to have Sunday to rest before going back to work.

On the Freedom in 15 days! Any ship is a good ship. I loved the Triumph so sounds like Freedom is going to be great.

Okiefromtulsa - did Freedom have hairdryers?

Let's not discuss the lack of dryers on Triumph.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just sailed the Dream about a week ago and I loved the ship. Especially, the Cloud 9 Spa. We had great service in the cabins, guest services and MDR. In each place they went above and beyond. Example: I kept having problems with the sail & sign card for the washers. After changing cards a couple of times, the agent walked up to the laudrette with me on the 10th floor to help.

However, at one island we ran across a group from the Freedom. They loved the Freedom, too. Also, I loved my time on the Breeze. So here's the point, every ship has something good to offer. It just depends on what you're looking for in terms of price, itineraries and services. Good luck!

On the Freedom in 15 days! Any ship is a good ship. I loved the Triumph so sounds like Freedom is going to be great.

I had a hairdryer on Triumph. It was mounted on the wall in the bathroom (see photo). On Freedom I believe it was in a drawer in the room.

bc658b91f72a9fc17d62a38e1785d0b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just off the Dream a couple weeks ago and it's the third time on her and she did not disappoint this time. We think it's the perfect sized ship and we've done all sizes. We wouldn't think twice about going on it a fourth time but didn't care for the port at NOLA so probably won't go out of there again.

I was just on the Dream two weeks ago and am going on her again next Sunday. This will be my 5th time on the Dream and she is probably my favorite cruise ship! I love the quiet atmosphere of the aft pool and the layout of the Lido deck is much better than other ships. New Orleans is a very organized departure port and it is very easy to get in and out.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

I just sailed the Dream about a week ago and I loved the ship. Especially, the Cloud 9 Spa. We had great service in the cabins, guest services and MDR. In each place they went above and beyond. Example: I kept having problems with the sail & sign card for the washers. After changing cards a couple of times, the agent walked up to the laudrette with me on the 10th floor to help.

However, at one island we ran across a group from the Freedom. They loved the Freedom, too. Also, I loved my time on the Breeze. So here's the point, every ship has something good to offer. It just depends on what you're looking for in terms of price, itineraries and services. Good luck!

You mentioned the launderette on deck 10, is it forward or aft? Do you know if there are any others on the Dream? I'll be staying on deck 6

Thanks Saint Greg! Yes I used that horrible dryer on the Triumph. Bad memories.

Haha. I liked it. It was convenient. But I don't have a lot of hair. Spikes on top and shaved on the sides.

Yes, there were hairdryers available, such as they are (they're not really powerful). I have short hair so they work fine for me.