Mass times

ive been told that Holland America has a Catholic priest on almost all sailings. I will be going on a 14 day cruise this fall and was wondering what time mass is offered. I heard that there is an 11pm "crew mass" on Sunday nights, would I be able to join that or is it strictly crew only? Once on a royal Caribbean cruise there was an ecumenical "crew service" that was also open to passengers. Thanks in advance :D

ive been told that Holland America has a Catholic priest on almost all sailings. I will be going on a 14 day cruise this fall and was wondering what time mass is offered. I heard that there is an 11pm "crew mass" on Sunday nights, would I be able to join that or is it strictly crew only? Once on a royal Caribbean cruise there was an ecumenical "crew service" that was also open to passengers. Thanks in advance :D

Others will provide precise times, but mass on board is morning or evening, depending usually on whether the day has a port of call. I hope daily mass will always be offered on Holland America cruises.

Daily Mass - 8 am or 5 PM, depending on whether it is a port or sea day. 8 am is Sea day as I recall.

We went to one 11 PM Sunday crew Mass. Not many attended. We only found out about it by asking the Priest (nothing will be published).

A number of years ago a small group of us that had been singing just for fun (long cruise) were invited to sign at a crew mass (yes, something like 11 PM). That was really fun, rewarding and greatly appreciated. Not only some crew there but a number of family members including some small children. We got to have a very brief peek at another side of a small segment of the crew and shipboard life.

I just remembered, its was not a Mass but the Protestant service as on longer cruises they had a Minister as well as a Priest. The Minister sang with our group at our casual group sing times led by a passenger who came prepared with music, etc. Ship let us use the piano bar for group sing sessions several times as week. There was also a cruise chorus led by the CD on this longer cruise with numerous sea days.

The 8am (sea day) and 5pm (port day) have been steady on the last several HAL cruises. Our most recent was AK 5 June - also, if arrival in a port is later in the day, it is treated as a sea day.

harry

I was recently on The Nieuw Amsterdam. The Saturday evening Mass was a t5:30PM.All other Passenger Masses were at 8:00 AMThe unpublished crew Mass was at 11:15 P M on Sunday evening.

The 8am (sea day) and 5pm (port day) have been steady on the last several HAL cruises. Our most recent was AK 5 June - also, if arrival in a port is later in the day, it is treated as a sea day.

harry

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A number of years ago a small group of us that had been singing just for fun (long cruise) were invited to sign at a crew mass (yes, something like 11 PM). That was really fun, rewarding and greatly appreciated.

We did somewhat the same on a Cunard Christmas cruise a couple of years ago. The CD put together a passenger choir and we sang hymns at the Christmas Day service as well as a separate show. Both were well attended and enjoyed by all. I would love to do that again. And it doesn't even cost anything! Enjoyment for all.

... I hope daily mass will always be offered on Holland America cruises.

To insure that this valuable benefit will be continued, be sure to mention on your cruise survey form how much it means to you. Contrary to what a lot of CCers apparently believe, HAL does listen to its passengers. Also be sure to make donations to the Apostleship of the Seas USA, the organization that supplies and schedules priests for the HAL cruises.

Smooth sailing + + +

As one of the priest/chaplain who sails with HAL, may I add - the general rule is: 8:00am for Sea Days and 5:00pm for Port Days, but it depends on the time of arrival to port. Often when the ship arrives later into a port (11:00am for example) the Mass would be celebrated at 8:00am. But the previous contributors suggested wisely. Check your Daily Program the evening before ... not just for the time but also the location of the Mass celebration.

As one of the priests/chaplains who sails with HAL, may I add that on Saturdays, there is a Vigil Mass at 5:00pm, regardless if it is a Sea Day or a Port day, with no Mass in the morning. But the suggestion to check the Daily Program the evening before is wise ... not just for the time, but for the location as well. Sometimes the rooms get changed due to program schedules. On all the cruises I have been on, there was also a Mass on the day of boarding the ship (usually at 5:00pm), but since you won't have a Daily Program in hand, I suggest asking at the Front Office (right when you board) for the Mass time and place. Hope to see you on board. We are always looking for readers. ))))

As one of the priests/chaplains who sails with HAL, may I add that on Saturdays, there is a Vigil Mass at 5:00pm, regardless if it is a Sea Day or a Port day, with no Mass in the morning. But the suggestion to check the Daily Program the evening before is wise ... not just for the time, but for the location as well. Sometimes the rooms get changed due to program schedules. On all the cruises I have been on, there was also a Mass on the day of boarding the ship (usually at 5:00pm), but since you won't have a Daily Program in hand, I suggest asking at the Front Office (right when you board) for the Mass time and place. Hope to see you on board. We are always looking for readers. ))))

Thanks father, I was really concerned when we were booking this cruise because one Sunday is in Osaka where I'm sure I could find a local mass, the other is in Beijing and I didnt know if I'd be able to find a mass there. Then I found out HAL has priests aboard most cruises and I was excited, because I'd like to go to daily mass more often but with work I can't make it 99% of the time, now on a ship I have no excuse 😊

Thanks for the guide provided.

Edited by easyboy

• 11 months later...