Birthday Perks

jlnprt

Thanks to all for your input.

We'll be celebrating my father 71st birthday in October on Volendam in Asia and I told our TA to let HAL now and I am hoping for a nice song for him.

Some people on CC here also recommended to let the staff know as well once onboard.

@Axelskater I think I would tell the Restaurant Manager explicitly that you wouldn't want any attention (or to the concierge or front desk)...just in case

We have never had any recognition of birthdays or anniversaries on HAL like we have on Princess. Without any prompting we have received cakes or balloons on doorway from Princess. My husband has big birthday coming up during Dec cruise with HAL but I assume no recognition for that either.

While on the Maasdam this past March/April in the South Pacific, we passed over the International Dateline (east to west) on April 3, skipping April 4. Then we passed over it again (west to east) on the 8th, my birthdate. That night we had dinner in the Pinnacle Grill and I was presented with some delicious cake by the waiters. The next day was also the 8th so I had two days of birthdays! At dinner in the MDR I was presented with ANOTHER cake (different flavor) and singing by the waiters. It was the best birthday I ever had! I also received a card from the Captain, as well as a call from Guest Services wishing me a happy birthday. The only thing I missed was balloons or a door sign like Princess does.

I can't imagine why all ships aren't consistent in their celebration policies.

• 4 weeks later...
Last year, when we cruised on Carnival, both my dh and my brother-in-law received a few coupons ($ off a bottle of wine, $ credit in the spa, etc.). We cruised during their birthday month, but were not on board during their actual birthday. Does HAL do the same, or must you be cruising on your actual birthday?

I was just going to ask the same question.

It wasn't my birthday on our Carnival Mexico cruise, it was closer to the end of the same month, but while checking us in the CS person pointed out that I had a birthday coming up and must have noted it on our booking, because by the second night I had birthday treats courtesy of Carnival - a $25 off a bottle of wine gift card; a $50 off Spa treatments gift card; and a gift card for a free 6x9 photo from the Pixels photo studio. I used the wine card towards a bottle of Barefoot Bubbly ($27) and the Pixels card for an Ensenada gang-plank photo we liked. However I didn't use the Spa card because it wouldn't have come close enough to covering any of the treatments. It was a nice thought though, and I really appreciated it.

It's a pity that HA doesn't do the same thing, because we'll be on board for my wife's birthday which, not very coincidentally, also happens to be our (15th) wedding anniversary.

I read on the Princess forum that they now charge you for the cake. It seems odd that they would ask when you want to celebrate an event and then charge you for the cake. Do they indicate whether or not there is a charge? Just curious.

Cunard charges for a cake. DH had a milestone birthday on our recent crossing, and I when I asked the Maitre d' if they do cakes, he said to order one at the front desk. Or let them know the date and they'd put a candle in his dessert and sing. So I went to the front desk and bought a cake. That morning, DH asked if he was getting a cake, and I said I didn't know if they still do that. Then, as the assistant waiter seated him, he said "Happy Birthday, sir." So the cake and the song weren't total surprises. And the cake was delicious.

I don't think we've hit a birthday or anniversary on any of our HAL cruises.

The main dining room crew will sing their Indonesian birthday song -

Pangya Umurnya - for you at dinner. Wouldn't hurt to let one of the asst. dining room managers (the guys at the door in the blue uniforms/copper buttons and/or white dinner jackets on gala nights) know about the upcoming birthday a few days before