Torn between which cruise to keep or cancel

LMaxwell

I'll probably post this on the NCL board as well, trying to get some perspectives here.

Taking my dad for his birthday on a 4 day cruise later this year, my treat. My dad is in his 70's and although he cruised Carnival in the 1980's he cruises more with Princess and Celebrity now on 14-20+ day itineraries, with some MSC and Royal Caribbean for quickie 7 day Caribbean where my folks treat the ship like the destination. Right now I have 2 cruises booked for the same time and have to decide in a few weeks which to keep or cancel.

Cruise 1: Carnival Victory to Key West and Cozumel. Aft extended (not wraparound) balcony. I have done the 4 day before, and it is not a weekend cruise, but I do have some concerns over a rowdy crowd. My dad is pretty easygoing and if he can find some relaxing spots (Serenity, balcony) that should work. Cost is pretty friendly; under $900, I believe we will get some OBC (he owns stock) and military service. I'll be able to save even more with the Amex discounts. I know my dad would like to get to Key West, no idea how he thinks of Cozumel.

Cruise 2: NCL Sky to Cuba with a Havana overnight. Drinks are included on this ship. Around $100 OBC from travel agent. We would be staying in an interior cabin. The cost still works out to about double of the Victory; higher cost cruise, cost of Visas, trip insurance much costlier (would want cancel for any reason for this one). With potential changes to visitor requirements it is still up in the air if by end of year we will be able to tour on our own to satisfy P2P. Otherwise 3 excursions (1st day, 1st night, 2nd day) to be allowed to get off the ship would add probably another $1K through the cruise line, bringing price to almost triple of Carnival. This major unknown is my big hang up. He'd really like to see Cuba. Potential costs rack up pretty steep for this cruise.

I think due to costs and uniqueness of itinerary the Sky would not be a party ship, attracting those more interested in the destination and not the ship.

Royal Caribbean does not have a sailing that week; Enchantment of the Seas is in drydock, and otherwise would go to Nassau, something both NCL and Carnival avoid (major plus in my book).

If food enters into your decision at all then go with the Victory. I've been on the Sky and the food was barely passable. Breakfast was fair, lunch and dinner were at time inedible. All of the 18 of us left food on the plates, not a normal thing for that bunch. We want to go to Cuba too, but not on the Sky. The open bar was great (we went for New Year's Eve), but that was the only plus.

Never tried NCL, but I couldn't justify 2-3x the cost. Cuba looks cool and all but if I go I'll be waiting until the prices come down. It's such a new destination and with the shore excursion issues like you stated, I'm not too thrilled with the idea.

Now if they were similar in price I would go just to say I have been.

If you choose Key West, consider Mel Fisher's Museum. They have some of the gold and other treasures salvaged off of the Spanish Galleon Atocha which sunk in 1622. If you dad is interested in history at all he will love it.

IMHO...a 4 night Key West, Cozumel cruise sounds like major party cruise to me. I would steer clear of that especially considering the cruise lines your Father has cruised on recently.

The trip to Cuba in an inside cabin...if he some type of bond or reason he really wants to visit Cuba. I would pass on that as well.

But...if you must choose between those two I would go with Carnival.

If you have the time to take a 7 night cruise, I would check out the Celebrity Equinox, they have some incredibly priced cruises that includes a balcony leaving in August and September.

This is a really hard decision. When are the cruises? I do think there will be partying on the 4 day to KW and Cozumel but maybe not too bad depending on the time of year. The Sky was my very first cruise- rooms were tiny. Carnival's food is way better. But I also really want to go to Cuba- I just can't justify the cost right now until they go down a little bit.

I have a friend that visited Cuba recently. And even though it's very beautiful, it's quite primitive. For instance, the country had no wifi anywhere until it was recently installed a few months ago and there's only a handful of places that have it. And there's no new cars, mostly very very old classic cars that have been restored. Even if you rent a car it will be an old classic, no new ones. Very few restaurants or decent shopping areas either. And excursions and tours will be pricey and limited in availability. If your father is into very rustic islands that have been untouched by modern society he will love this place. If not, then he won't like it at all. Personally, I love the unspoiled beauty of these types of places. But it's not everyone's cup of tea. Hope this helps. Happy cruising. :D

If food enters into your decision at all then go with the Victory. I've been on the Sky and the food was barely passable. Breakfast was fair, lunch and dinner were at time inedible. All of the 18 of us left food on the plates, not a normal thing for that bunch. We want to go to Cuba too, but not on the Sky. The open bar was great (we went for New Year's Eve), but that was the only plus.

I've been on both ships and thought the food was good on both. Did not try specialty dining on the Sky; thought breakfast was great on both in dining rooms. Thought both buffets were lacking; Sky had better late night options. Freestyle dinner worked well for me, but I thought the Victory's MDR was nicer. Lunch in MDR was a plus on the Sky, I thought Victory boarding day lunch was a nightmare; poorly laid out buffet. Food is not a prime driver of the trip.

Never tried NCL, but I couldn't justify 2-3x the cost. Cuba looks cool and all but if I go I'll be waiting until the prices come down. It's such a new destination and with the shore excursion issues like you stated, I'm not too thrilled with the idea.

Now if they were similar in price I would go just to say I have been.

I'm at double the cost now, before excursions. I don't mind having to do one excursion to fulfill requirements, but what is happening today does not necessarily apply to December; changes can happen making it almost impossible to go ashore without an expensive cruise line excursion. it is a big unknown.

If you choose Key West, consider Mel Fisher's Museum. They have some of the gold and other treasures salvaged off of the Spanish Galleon Atocha which sunk in 1622. If you dad is interested in history at all he will love it.

Thanks for the tip; we both enjoy things like this.

IMHO...a 4 night Key West, Cozumel cruise sounds like major party cruise to me. I would steer clear of that especially considering the cruise lines your Father has cruised on recently.

The trip to Cuba in an inside cabin...if he some type of bond or reason he really wants to visit Cuba. I would pass on that as well.

But...if you must choose between those two I would go with Carnival.

If you have the time to take a 7 night cruise, I would check out the Celebrity Equinox, they have some incredibly priced cruises that includes a balcony leaving in August and September.

I've done the 4 night Coz cruise and it was a really mixed crowd. Lots of friendly people for sure, but definitely some groups of parties. My dad's not an old fuddy duddy and can have some fun, but some people get a little trashy with too much booze (witness with a bachelorette party).

Good deals on Celeb, but coming up too soon. They are taking a 3 week Celeb cruise in October and I have a bunch of work travel in August and September, so no time for that. But it does come out to a similar price as the Sky overall.:confused:

This is a really hard decision. When are the cruises? I do think there will be partying on the 4 day to KW and Cozumel but maybe not too bad depending on the time of year. The Sky was my very first cruise- rooms were tiny. Carnival's food is way better. But I also really want to go to Cuba- I just can't justify the cost right now until they go down a little bit.

Both depart same day in December; between the two holidays; an off week.

I would say Carnival. The restrictions and the charge to get off the ship in Cuba are daunting.

Yes, the restrictions, or unknowns surrounding changes, are a big problem.

I have a friend that visited Cuba recently. And even though it's very beautiful, it's quite primitive. For instance, the country had no wifi anywhere until it was recently installed a few months ago and there's only a handful of places that have it. And there's no new cars, mostly very very old classic cars that have been restored. Even if you rent a car it will be an old classic, no new ones. Very few restaurants or decent shopping areas either. And excursions and tours will be pricey and limited in availability. If your father is into very rustic islands that have been untouched by modern society he will love this place. If not, then he won't like it at all. Personally, I love the unspoiled beauty of these types of places. But it's not everyone's cup of tea. Hope this helps. Happy cruising. :D

A little bit of pre-sanitized authentic / historic is fine. He does not expect to go to Cuba and sit in a Senor Frogs or anything like that. He would like to go before it becomes like other Caribbean tourist trap stops.

I was going to say the Cuba one until I saw the cost. No way.

Personally I've always found NCL to be a step down from Carnival(regular cabins that is). Though food is subjective, it's pretty well known that NCL food is dreadful.

I've done several of the Carnival 4-day cruises and they aren't all "booze cruises". We've never had a problem with finding a quiet place to hang out on these cruises. I would definitely choose this over the more expensive NCL cruise.

BTW, if your father enjoys literature and/or history, don't miss the Hemingway House and Truman's Little White House in Key West.

What are your exact dates and departure port? Found 4 on travelocity but depends on when going and from where if you want Cuba. You could buy "cancel for any reason" travel insurance if it would cover your concerns about Cuba shore excursions.

OP: Your thread title reminds me of a saccharin song from 1976 "Torn Between Two Lovers" which I immediately changed to "Torn Between Two Cruises." I just hope that I don't get that sappy song stuck in my head now. :eek:

Based on the info you have provided, I would go with the Carnival Victory.

Not a weekend cruise so what are the chances there will be lots of young adults or children?

If the ship is too noisy for him, he has the balcony for private quiet time

Ship is his destination

Much cheaper

OP: Your thread title reminds me of a saccharin song from 1976 "Torn Between Two Lovers" which I immediately changed to "Torn Between Two Cruises." I just hope that I don't get that sappy song stuck in my head now. :eek:

Feeling like a fool?

Loving both these trips ... is breaking all the rules.

Ncl is more Mello for non party type people. Carnival is for out gong party drinkers and they push the booze non stop.

So if that's your type pick carnival. Is more leave me alone type is your thing then ncl.

Shows are better on ncl. But comdey is way better on carnival.

Food is same.

Base rooms way better on carnival but suites are top on ncl.

Even get a butler service.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Cruise 1: Carnival Victory to Key West and Cozumel. ... I know my dad would like to get to Key West.

Cruise 2: NCL Sky to Cuba with a Havana overnight. He'd really like to see Cuba.

I think due to costs and uniqueness of itinerary the Sky would not be a party ship, attracting those more interested in the destination and not the ship.

Take the Carnival Victory cruise and don't let the drinking habits of others, who you don't even know will be on the ship, be the deciding factor.

As for your Dad...

**** Beginning May 7th 2018 the Norwegian Sun will be re-positioned and cruise from Port Canaveral every week Monday - Friday with a call on Key West and 2 days (overnight) in Havana.

This would be a good 4 day trip for him to book for himself if he would like to see those 2 specific destinations on a short cruise.

Ncl is more Mello for non party type people. Carnival is for out gong party drinkers and they push the booze non stop.

So if that's your type pick carnival. Is more leave me alone type is your thing then ncl.

Shows are better on ncl. But comdey is way better on carnival.

Food is same.

Base rooms way better on carnival but suites are top on ncl.

Even get a butler service.

This.

Except comedians do nothing for me so YMMV

Reading a live review from someone on the ship now and it seems like the crowd is really obnoxious and sloppy (summer weekend). It is stuff like that that makes me concerned. If people want to party that's great, but do expect there to be places and activities for those who are not going to party like that. I know a summer weekend is different than a winter week, but it's giving me cause for concern.

As it should. I can only give you my opinion based on what we experienced

If what you have read makes you uncomfortable there lyes your answer cuz it's way worse when your actually there. Ncl is your answer or even Holland. Holland Cruise lines. Check them out suppose t be real adult and Mello. And if you catch any of the lines during a sale. It's not much different for the pice if mind if your not into the party seen