why no love of Jade??

Just curious,

why are there no reviews of the Jade sailings to Norway/Iceland?? curious minds want to know....

I know the British Isles/Norway trips are popular in the summer, the European version of an Alaska trip, but where are the reviews??

How will I ever know what to do? and what to avoid ? when I visit the Land of the Midnight Sun...... ;)

Just curious,

why are there no reviews of the Jade sailings to Norway/Iceland?? curious minds want to know....

I know the British Isles/Norway trips are popular in the summer, the European version of an Alaska trip, but where are the reviews??

How will I ever know what to do? and what to avoid ? when I visit the Land of the Midnight Sun...... ;)

Probably because these cruises have just started the season this year? First Iceland cruise of the season on the Jade is not until next week-end (embarkation July 16th), and the first (or second?) full Norway cruise on the Jade this year is still going on (embarkation July 9th - disembarkation July 16th). If you want more information about Icelandic or Norwegian ports, you should have a look at the CC sub-forum for Northern Europe (incl. Norway and Iceland).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

And if you want to have a look at older reviews (eg. from last year), then keep in mind that it was NOT the Jade that sailed on the Norwegian/Iceland cruises in 2015 or 2016. (in 2015 it was the Norwegian Star and in 2016 I actually don't remember, I just know that it was not the Jade, because the Jade was doing cruises out of Venice the entire summer season 2016).

Edited by TrumpyNor

I just posted a few photos on this thread. Just got off the 12 day North Cape and Fjords cruise and it was wonderful. They did a beautiful job with the Jade refurb and it was the perfect ship for this itin. The only thing that I noticed when it came to the ship was the included food was not up to par with my recent Royal Caribbean and Carnival cruises. You will have a wonderful time!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53494258&posted=1#post53494258

And if you want to have a look at older reviews (eg. from last year), then keep in mind that it was NOT the Jade that sailed on the Norwegian/Iceland cruises in 2015 or 2016. (in 2015 it was the Norwegian Star and in 2016 I actually don't remember, I just know that it was not the Jade, because the Jade was doing cruises out of Venice the entire summer season 2016).

Yes, it was the Star last year as well.

It's worth keeping in mind though that the main thing the Star did in the Summer was the Baltics cruises, with just a few Norway/Iceland ones thrown in as well.

2017 really is the first time (at least for a number of years) that NCL have done a proper season on Norway and Iceland cruises, so reviews of these itineraries will be quite sketchy in past years.

Yes, it was the Star last year as well.

It's worth keeping in mind though that the main thing the Star did in the Summer was the Baltics cruises, with just a few Norway/Iceland ones thrown in as well.

2017 really is the first time (at least for a number of years) that NCL have done a proper season on Norway and Iceland cruises, so reviews of these itineraries will be quite sketchy in past years.

Keith- are you going to do a live from or review afterwards of your Jade August sailing? I've really enjoyed your reviews in the past and value your opinions/have learned a lot from your reviews. We're doing the 14 night sailing in September and there isn't much out there on these itineraries. Thanks. Kim

Keith- are you going to do a live from or review afterwards of your Jade August sailing? I've really enjoyed your reviews in the past and value your opinions/have learned a lot from your reviews. We're doing the 14 night sailing in September and there isn't much out there on these itineraries. Thanks. Kim

I don't know whether I will. I'm not particularly intending to, but that is usually the case and I end up doing one anyway.

If I do then it will be live. I never get round to doing one afterwards. By the time I've caught up with everything else it's always too late to do one then.

This itinerary does need some info, so I will try to do something, if only make some notes about the ports. If you have any specific questions and I haven't done anything live then start a thread on here when we get back (on the 3rd Sept) and I'll do my best to help.

We've got plans for most of the ports, so it should be a busy one.

I enjoyed a 9 day cruise on Jade from Southampton in June to Hamburg and 4 ports in Norway. Second time sailing on Jade. Had a nice time, ship was lovely, weather wasn't great but you can't control that. Any specific questions?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have found a good amount of information on the refurbished Jade. Looks like they did a nice job. Mainly interested in what people did in ports. There's not much posted on Kirkwall, Orkney and some other stops. We are spending a pretty penny on the cruise itself and hopefully will be able to do things on our own and for not much $ in ports. I've rented a car for both Iceland ports. Thinking about booking a wow Scotland tour for Invergorden and probably take a taxi from ship to Edinburgh. Don't typically like big tours and happy to get off ship and experience a little local culture for a few hours. I know weather will be iffy and I'm fine dressing for rain and still getting out for some nature hiking... not really sure if we're going to get much in the way of fjord sights with this itinerary. I've read that getting to Norway and not taking in the fjords is a crime but my gut tells me we won't be happy sitting on a bus all day with the NCL abbreviated Norway in a nutshell tour and at $350 pp it's more than I care to spend.

I really appreciate the details in Keith's live reports. Seems like you have a knack for balancing a good port day within a reasonable budget.

Would love to hear what other travelers did in ports but since there's so very few sailings with this itinerary they are slim pickings. The star had a similar itinerary but not many port reviews there either.

Also curious about northern lights potential views up on deck at night. That would be worth staying up late for.

Would love to hear what other travelers did in ports but since there's so very few sailings with this itinerary they are slim pickings. The star had a similar itinerary but not many port reviews there either.

Also curious about northern lights potential views up on deck at night. That would be worth staying up late for.

I am not sure which ports you are doing, in Norway we went to Alesund, Geiranger, Flam and Bergen. We did our own thing in all ports. Alesund - hired a car from Avis and did a 300km round trip to Trollstigen and Trollvegen, then drove up to the Aksla vioewpoint, returned the car and walked around the town centre and harbour area. Geiranger - booked a tour with Norway Excursions and went to Mount Dalsnibba stopping at a couple of photo stops on the way back to Geiranger and then did the Eagle Road to view the Seven Sisters waterfall and the fjord. In Flam we took the Flam railway to Myrdal and back, then took a bus to the Stegastein viewpoint. In Bergen we walked from the ship to Bryggen and the Fish Market and took the funicular to Floyen where we did one of the walks.

Not sure when you are going but Northern Lights are normally visible only in the darker nights, so in the summer it may not get properly dark and hence will not be dark enough to see the Northern Lights.