Yet another "dress code" querry...but with a twist.

JeffsWife

I will be sailing Legend, Alaska in a couple of weeks. I am well aware of the numerous threads, debates and outright arguments re: MDR dress codes. This is not meant to be another one. So Let me preface my post with: I know the dress codes for both elegant and cruise casual nights; I will wear to dinner a style I feel is appropriate and don't give two hoots what anyone else is wearing.

Having said that, I AM seeking opinions on a personal style choice I may or may not be making (only on cruise casual evenings). And since I am wordy in general, I will start with a little backstory:

I have always been of the notion that leggings worn as pants is tacky (personal opinion, sorry if I offended anyone) which means my leggings have always been regulated to "pajamas" or workout wear, and never made public appearances. However, with the popularity of Lularoe and the like, I now find myself with a few pairs of really cute, fully opaque, good quality leggings that are not too tight on me and do not make me look like a stuffed sausage. With these I have long tunic type tops (well long enough to cover my derriere) and these outfits even look a little "dressy" to me.

So, even though it is not something I would "normally" wear, I think that it would be cute for MDR on casual evenings, when paired with ballet flats. Being on a cruise to Alaska comes into play as well because I am always cold under the best of circumstances and these outfits (with 3/4 length sleeves) are actually warmer than my normal summer attire without having to add a sweater.

So my question is this: I know it will technically conform to dress code, but do you, fellow cruisers, think it's too tacky or should I give it a test spin and see how I feel about t the time? A bonus of wearing leggings/tunics would be that they roll very small and would enable me that much more room to pack more outfits for more variety. :)

Thanks for any opinions you care to give. :)

Leggings and a tunic look nice together and I don't see an issue with it. If you were asking to pair your Leggings with a crop top or tank top, that IMHO, would not be MDR appropriate.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I agree with meatloafsfan 110% on this one! At my job, we refer to the leggings as LulaNO! But if worn correctly as you describe, they are 100% dressy and look really nice! You should be comfortable and feel good, don't let others bring you down!

I have 2 outfits exactly like that for my upcoming cruise that I will wear to the MDR. My tunics are like a short dresses (and would be cute on their own if I weren't 57!) and you cant see my freckles through my leggins print.

Since leggings have an elastic waist, I may just have 2 warm chocolate melting cakes! (I will however wear my workout leggings to the gym the next day).....

Was just off the Legend a few weeks ago and ended up wearing my leggings, with a dressy shirt or tank and a long black cardigan, several times throughout the week. I am usually a sundress girl and wear one every night when we are cruising the Caribbean, however, with the breezy and cool Alaska temps it was just not feasible. I still did pack a few sundresses and wore them with a sweater because the temps on the ship I thought were very comfortable. I think nice leggings are COMPLETELY acceptable in the MDR on non-elegant nights, especially in Alaska. You will find the Alaska cruise attire to be the most casual you have ever seen...I saw way too much camouflage and John Deere tshirts in the MDR than I ever hope to see again. LOL!

I think it would be a nice ensemble for casual dining as long as the leggings are NOT a nude/flesh color.

Oh my Goodness, no! :eek: I'd not do nude leggings even as pajamas. No one (including me) would want to see me in that! ;)

I have 2 outfits exactly like that for my upcoming cruise that I will wear to the MDR. My tunics are like a short dresses (and would be cute on their own if I weren't 57!) and you cant see my freckles through my leggins print.

Since leggings have an elastic waist, I may just have 2 warm chocolate melting cakes! (I will however wear my workout leggings to the gym the next day).....

We think similarly. :) My tunics too could be worn as short dresses on their own, and in fact one of the models from where I purchased them was wearing one, belted, as a dress. Being just past my 20's (;) ) I am afraid that's a look I can no longer pull off myself.

Both pairs I am considering wearing are pretty floral patterns, without overly loud colors (again, personal preference) but enough color to brighten things up a bit and hide a multitude of sins...maybe the second helping of dessert is in my future too. :)

Thank you everyone for responding, I feel better about my packing now and think I will debut my roses on black leggings, with a black tunic on the first night of the cruise. Now to prepare my explanation to my husband that this outfit has "been in the closet for years, certainly you remember seeing it before?". :loudcry:

Was just off the Legend a few weeks ago and ended up wearing my leggings, with a dressy shirt or tank and a long black cardigan, several times throughout the week. I am usually a sundress girl and wear one every night when we are cruising the Caribbean, however, with the breezy and cool Alaska temps it was just not feasible. ...

Not to hijack my own thread too much, but I don't suppose you'd have menus or show lists from that cruise? This will be my 3rd Alaska cruise, but first Alaska cruise on Carnival, and will be my husband's first ever cruise. He's really looking forward to it and wants to know everything possible in advance, including what we will likely eat and/or see each night. :)

So Let me preface my post with: I know the dress codes for both elegant and cruise casual nights; I will wear to dinner a style I feel is appropriate and don't give two hoots what anyone else is wearing.

You answered your own question! Think how much style has changed in the past 40 years, 100 years, 200 years etc. Fashion is constantly changing. We are all going to look dated in 3 seasons, so I just try to feel great in what I wear every time I wear it. That's my only rule.

You answered your own question! Think how much style has changed in the past 40 years, 100 years, 200 years etc. Fashion is constantly changing. We are all going to look dated in 3 seasons, so I just try to feel great in what I wear every time I wear it. That's my only rule.

I agree with you in theory and I don't really judge what others are wearing (or rather I try really hard not to and would never vocalize any negative opinions of it) but when it comes to what I am wearing, I am insecure enough to worry about what others think. I would hate to feel like the other women on the ship were laughing or sneering behind my back for dressing "too young", "too old", or just being tacky in general....

I am just not a fan of leggings being worn as pants. Just my own opinion on the matter. That being said, unless it's offencive, demeaning or threatening in some way, what someone else is wearing has no bearing on me or my life. If that's what you want to wear, wear it.

As long as the tunic top is long enough, as you describe, I say go for it on the casual nights.

Friends of ours got back from an Alaska cruise a few weeks ago and she happened to mention that the MDR was absolutely freezing and that she wished she had brought along another cardigan - even her teenage boys were cold. Just wanted to pass along that comment to the OP so you can think about maybe bringing along a long cardigan to wear over the tunic in case you have the same experience.

If you truly don't care what others think, then just go for it and wear your leggings.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Forums mobile app

That's my problem. I don't care what other people are wearing (I try not to judge) but I care very much what other people think about what I am wearing. So I ask about possibly questionable fashion choices to get a consensus. I know it shouldn't matter to me, but I would hate to be the topic of anyone's critiquing of what people were wearing. Add to that, the "leggings as pants" look has always stuck me as tacky (for me, but again, I don't care about others wearing whatever...) so even wanting to try this with a tunic (which is more of a mini dress than a shirt) makes me feel slightly hypocritical as well. I don't want others to think I am the one being tacky. :') And therein is my own personal insecurities and the reason I ask for what is basically fashion opinion on a forum devoted to cruising. :D

Edited by JeffsWife

As long as the tunic top is long enough, as you describe, I say go for it on the casual nights.

Friends of ours got back from an Alaska cruise a few weeks ago and she happened to mention that the MDR was absolutely freezing and that she wished she had brought along another cardigan - even her teenage boys were cold. Just wanted to pass along that comment to the OP so you can think about maybe bringing along a long cardigan to wear over the tunic in case you have the same experience.

I never travel (even to the grocery store in the middle of summer) without a cardigan or hoodie available to match my outfit. I am always cold, so Alaska means extra extra sweaters. ;) The last two Alaska cruises I was on, I made it through most of the indoor areas of the ship without extra outerwear (but always with base layers underneath) but those were not on Carnival, so the possibility of freezing MDR is definitely something I will keep in mind. Thanks for the heads up!

I love the word "cute". I mean, whenever you read a post like this, and the poster says, from the beginning they don't care what others think, but yet they post their question. Than the call their item of clothing "cute" like so many other people do. Well, my flip flops are "cute" because they have bling, or my cut off jeans are cute, because they have this cute bling on it, so it seems anything that is "cute" is acceptable.

Leggins are like pantyhose that changed the pantyhose to a level called "cute". Now everyone is wearing panty hose out in the open, but it is cute.

I'm not complaining, but my wife is when I make these observations on "cuteness".

That's my problem. I don't care what other people are wearing (I try not to judge) but I care very much what other people think about what I am wearing. So I ask about possibly questionable fashion choices to get a consensus. I know it shouldn't matter to me, but I would hate to be the topic of anyone's critiquing of what people were wearing. Add to that, the "leggings as pants" look has always stuck me as tacky (for me, but again, I don't care about others wearing whatever...) so even wanting to try this with a tunic (which is more of a mini dress than a shirt) makes me feel slightly hypocritical as well. I don't want others to think I am the one being tacky. :') And therein is my own personal insecurities and the reason I ask for what is basically fashion opinion on a forum devoted to cruising. :D

If you don't mind a recommendation to alleviate your own "personal insecurities"....wear the leggings. Trade out the flats for a pair of 4 inch pumps. 2-3 shots of tequila in the room, enter the MDR and announce "JEFFSWIFE IS IN DA HOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSE"!!!!....Problem solved

Enjoy your cruise :D

I agree it is what you are comfortable with and a lot of people are uncomfortable if they are in an environment where others are dressed differently. I was on the Legend on May 30 and the couple we were seated with wore t-shirts and jeans to casual nights and on elegant nights I think they might have had on collared shirts and pants. I still dressed up for elegant night because I enjoyed it and wanted pictures. I enjoyed wearing my leggings on the cruise with a tunic because it was so comfortable (I usually did not change for dinner for casual nights on sea days). We spent a lot of time while on sea days laying around relaxing or watching scenery. It might have beenbecause the demographic is more largely retired couples but the MDR seemed a lot more casual than previous (mostly Caribbean)_ cruises I've been on.