Large Family Booking on the Seaside

CurlyQ132

I am planning to book over 8 rooms on the Seaside for June 2018. Based on the current reviews it looks like it is sometimes difficult to deal directly with the MSC Customer service at this time. Am I better off booking through an online travel agency?

For a group like that you might be best off with a local TA rather than an online one. Much more personal service to make sure you get what you need than dealing with an OTA call center where you can get a different person every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am planning to book over 8 rooms on the Seaside for June 2018. Based on the current reviews it looks like it is sometimes difficult to deal directly with the MSC Customer service at this time. Am I better off booking through an online travel agency?

I have made both of our bookings through a PVC (Personal Vacation Consultant) at MSC. Knock on wood, but everytime I have called MSC Customer Service, my issues were taken care of. Not sure what others experienced.

Anyway, we had (4) cabins for the Meravigilia (Jun 2017) and (5) cabins for the Seaside (Jan 2018). No issues on my side when I needed to get in touch with them. The June 2017 booking was made with a PVC who no longer works for MSC, but I had no issue having others help me. The Jan 2018 booking - I have had many changes since I made the booking in Jan - we had people cancel and had to replace the cabin with someone else, or had to move people around.

The initial booking does take a bit because you will need to provide all the passenger details. After that, I was able to get in touch with the PVC or use the live chat on the website for questions or changes.

This depends on your comfort level. We're pretty experienced traveler (2-3 cruises per year, along with other travels). As slei65 suggested, you may want to consider a local travel agent if that will minimize qualms.

Thank you.

I have no problem making the initial reservation for everyone. What information do I need to have in order to do that? And how difficult is it for that person to make a change in room if they decide to do so?

Thank you.

I have no problem making the initial reservation for everyone. What information do I need to have in order to do that? And how difficult is it for that person to make a change in room if they decide to do so?

I provided the Names (as on the documents, i.e. passports), addresses and birthdates. I think only names and birthdates are mandatory at reservation time, along with the cabin & experience.

As for the changes, it was very easy for me. I left a message for the PVC to call me. I also sent email to the PVC if I didn't want to call him. It may be the luck of the draw?

There is no problem with customer service when you call in. they will do booking very well and all changes easy to do.Just make sure you have all names and DOB

When I am booking cabins I always do a mock online booking to see cabin availability. For example, if you do a booking for one cabin, you'll be able to see which nearby cabins for the same experience are available. I never book without knowing in advance which cabin I want. I've done the same for a 4-cabin booking.

In your situation we would want to deal with a decent cruise agency where you can get an agent experienced in dealing with small groups. If you shop around among a few reputable agencies should be able to get at least 7-10% in On Board Credits (that you will not get by booking directly with the cruise line) and some help with cabin selection. You may also be able to get an additional discount because of the size of your group (not sure of the criteria used by MSC). Unfortunately, CC rules prohibit me from recommending an agency (or agent) but there are some good ones out in the ether.

But be forewarned. You are taking on what can become a thankless task (depending on your family members). You are going to need to gather credit card info from each person (couple) and, if anything goes wrong, it will be your fault :(. We have seen many family groups on cruises that had a great time. We have also seen families on the verge of tossing each other overboard :(. And consider dining arrangements...because a group that size cannot eat at the same table. Are you all going to want to dine at the same time (together) every night? Will you want to be together in all the ports? etc etc. Planning group trips can become a near full time profession...which sometimes requires the patience of a real angel. Good luck :).

Hank

In your situation we would want to deal with a decent cruise agency where you can get an agent experienced in dealing with small groups. If you shop around among a few reputable agencies should be able to get at least 7-10% in On Board Credits (that you will not get by booking directly with the cruise line) and some help with cabin selection. You may also be able to get an additional discount because of the size of your group (not sure of the criteria used by MSC). Unfortunately, CC rules prohibit me from recommending an agency (or agent) but there are some good ones out in the ether.

But be forewarned. You are taking on what can become a thankless task (depending on your family members). You are going to need to gather credit card info from each person (couple) and, if anything goes wrong, it will be your fault :(. We have seen many family groups on cruises that had a great time. We have also seen families on the verge of tossing each other overboard :(. And consider dining arrangements...because a group that size cannot eat at the same table. Are you all going to want to dine at the same time (together) every night? Will you want to be together in all the ports? etc etc. Planning group trips can become a near full time profession...which sometimes requires the patience of a real angel. Good luck :).

Hi Hank, thank you for the info. Can you possibly email me some recommendations? kbelsky@verizon.net.