Mr John Duffy.

twynkle

There is very sad news from Liverpool today.

Mr John Duffy who many will remember was the longest serving senior officer with Cunard, retiring only a few years ago as Hotel Manager on board QE2 for very many years, then QM2; died following a long illness early this morning.

A truly great man - a legend in his time. May he rest in peace now.

This evening, Queen Elizabeth with be sailing from Liverpool to continue with her Round Britain voyage. With great respect to Mr Duffy and his family, Cunard have agreed that Captain Inger Thorhauge will sound the ship's whistle for 47 seconds.

'47' - this represents the number of years that Mr Duffy was in service with Cunard Shipping Line.

An officer and a gentleman, and a true Cunarder from the old school. Very kind to me after my mother passed away and I continued to travel solo, often looked out for me whenever I sailed and made sure I was invited to his table in the Britannia restaurant. ( was often seen at daily Mass first thing in the morning QM2, before he took up his office duties) May he rest in Peace. :)

An officer and a gentleman, and a true Cunarder from the old school. Very kind to me after my mother passed away and I continued to travel solo, often looked out for me whenever I sailed and made sure I was invited to his table in the Britannia restaurant. ( was often seen at daily Mass first thing in the morning QM2, before he took up his office duties) May he rest in Peace. :)

He was a lovely person. He was one of the old school.:)

"Cunard mourns John Duffy, longest serving four-stripe officer "

"John Duffy, Cunard's veteran hotel manager and the line's longest serving four-stripe officer, died Tuesday. He was 73.

His passing came as Queen Elizabeth sailed into Duffy's home city—and Cunard's spiritual home—at Liverpool yesterday.

Widely regarded by guests and respected by colleagues, Duffy gave 47 years of loyal service to Cunard until his retirement five years ago.

Queen Elizabeth’s whistle sounded for 47 seconds as she sailed from the city Tuesday night.

Flags at Cunard’s UK headquarters at Carnival House in Southampton were scheduled to be lowered Wednesday.

Duffy served as hotel manager on the two most famous ocean liners in the world—Queen Elizabeth 2 and her successor on the North Atlantic, Queen Mary 2.

He joined Cunard in 1965, posted first to Queen Elizabeth and subsequently to Carinthia on the Liverpool to Montréal route. Other ships he served include Carmania, Franconia, Cunard Adventurer, Cunard Ambassador and Cunard Princess.

In 1978 he became the company's youngest hotel manager when, at the age of 33, he was appointed on Cunard Princess. In April 1981 became QE2's youngest hotel manager—a post he remained in longer than any other.

A winner of the Seatrade Seagoing Employee of the Year Award in 2009, he was also presented with the Merchant Navy Medal for long and distinguished service.

Aboard QE2 he welcomed heads of state and political leaders as well as countless stars of stage and screen, together with tens of thousands of other Cunard guests.

His attention to detail in ensuring the needs and expectations of all guests were exceeded is legendary.

Duffy is survived by his wife Marie and their son Johnny." - copied from http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/cunard-mourns-john-duffy-longest-serving-four-stripe-officer.html