Norwegian app

Just wondering if people have had good success with using this to stay in touch with family members on the ship? Considering purchasing for our family of 4. We are sailing mid August, and wanted to know if we can download this a few days before our sailing or is only good for a certain amount of days?

Just wondering if people have had good success with using this to stay in touch with family members on the ship? Considering purchasing for our family of 4. We are sailing mid August, and wanted to know if we can download this a few days before our sailing or is only good for a certain amount of days?

It works great. Make sure everyone downloads the App before you leave home. Once on the ship, you just need to activate it. I've had mine on my phone for over a year now. It still tries to open up. We'll use it again this October.

Are you talking about the iConcierge app ? It's free to download and free to use on board. Quoting from the app, there is no charge to use the ships WiFi to use this app.

Make sure you download it before you get on the ship. It's much easier that way.

Is this on all ships? My daughter and her boyfriend will be on the Dawn next month and are trying to figure out how to stay in touch on board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's a great app easy to use and you'll never have a problem texting your family or friends. It's also super easy to find out what's happening that day and planning your day out by taking screenshots that you can look at later

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It won't work until you are on the ship but you should definitely download it before you board. It's great for checking what's going on during the day and making reservations. We used the texting feature with our teenage boys. It works but we found it frustrating that we did not get a sound or vibration when a new message comes in. So I might look at the app and see a message I had received an hour earlier. I did keep the app open in the background. Anyway, it's good but just know to check for messages frequently. Although if anyone on here has figured out how to get a notification of a new message I would love to hear it!! Happy cruising!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are you talking about the iConcierge app ? It's free to download and free to use on board. Quoting from the app, there is no charge to use the ships WiFi to use this app.

Make sure you download it before you get on the ship. It's much easier that way.

We used it in January and it worked well. Unless there's been a change it isn't free though. There was a one time charge of $9.95 for each device you activate the app on.

The app is free to use for things like checking your account, looking at onboard activities etc and making reservations.

The texting/calling feature is chargeable though. The cost has changed a bit recently, and at times it has been a different price on different ships, but it was £9.95 last time we paid. That is per person.

The app is free to use for things like checking your account, looking at onboard activities etc and making reservations.

The texting/calling feature is chargeable though. The cost has changed a bit recently, and at times it has been a different price on different ships, but it was £9.95 last time we paid. That is per person.

Just want to clarify that it's per device not per person .... (I know that's what you meant but some people may have 2 or more devices)

Just want to clarify that it's per device not per person .... (I know that's what you meant but some people may have 2 or more devices)

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know either way on that specific. I was just confirming that it is payable multiple times if everyone in the family is using it.

Out of interest, how does it work then? I've only used it a couple of times, and just used my phone. I can't really remember the setup procedure. The internet package is shareable between devices by using a login. I don't actually have concierge on anything but my phone, so what would happen if someone tried to use it on a tablet as well as their phone? Can they access the free bits from both devices, and what stops them from also using the texting on them?

Just out of interest really. I suppose it makes sense, as the one device at a time thing would cause problems with texts being sent to an iPad in the safe if that was the last device used. If there wasn't a one at a time limit then it could be abused.

I used it to text on the Breakaway. Agree it would be nice if there was a sound to notify you that a text was received. I just ended up telling the kids to check every hour. Eventually we caught up even if a little late. Kids used it to text new found friends

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and I are sailing Escape 7/1/2018 with my daughter and 2 nieces in a separate cabin.

I'm wondering if a good idea would be to sign up for the texting feature for either my wife or myself and then just one of the 3 kids, who will always be together anyway. That way we can always communicate with them, but only pay for 2 devices as opposed to 5.

I know it sounds a little cheap, but its seems like a way to save a little on what will already be an expensive trip.

My wife and I are sailing Escape 7/1/2018 with my daughter and 2 nieces in a separate cabin.

I'm wondering if a good idea would be to sign up for the texting feature for either my wife or myself and then just one of the 3 kids, who will always be together anyway. That way we can always communicate with them, but only pay for 2 devices as opposed to 5.

I know it sounds a little cheap, but its seems like a way to save a little on what will already be an expensive trip.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

We travel with out Son, and lately we have started using iConcierge to keep in touch with him. We sign him and either my wife or I up, as it's quite rare that we aren't either together or know when we are meeting up with each other.

If you know that people are going to be in groups then there is absolutely no need for them all to have it individually.

We used it in January and it worked well. Unless there's been a change it isn't free though. There was a one time charge of $9.95 for each device you activate the app on.

I used it in April on the Epic and there was no charge to activate it on my iPhone. I didn't text anyone on the ship, but texts to Apple devices off the ship were free to send and receive. No pictures, though. And no, I didn't have a WiFi plan. And verizon didn't charge me either.

Just some food for thought: Depending on your wireless carrier...... the iConcierge charge for texting may not be cost effective. Remember that all devices must have it in order for the texting to work (so it's a minimum of $20 @ $10 per device). For example, I have Verizon Wireless and 1) it's $0.05 to receive / $0.50 to send texts while on the ship (so that would mean 38 texts between devices to break even with iConcierge).. by the way, the Verizon Wireless texts are not limited to ship devices 2) iConcierge works ONLY on the ship so that means your per day iConcierge text use is increased to break even (especially on port intensive cruises) .....

I used it in April on the Epic and there was no charge to activate it on my iPhone. I didn't text anyone on the ship, but texts to Apple devices off the ship were free to send and receive. No pictures, though. And no, I didn't have a WiFi plan. And verizon didn't charge me either.

Yeah, currently iMessage works sporadically on NCL ships but more and more people are reporting it doesn't work anymore....there's a port open in their wifi infrastructure that allowed this but as they upgrade / update service this is being closed. I would assume it would begin to be closed sooner as they are testing the "Social Package" and when this is rolled out its the perfect time to turn that port off.