Any tips to avoid nuisance photographers at dinner?

RCByrd

PhinsAndGills' excellent review of the Mariner mentioned the photograpers at dinner had become particularly bothersome. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid them at dinner? Would telling the maitre'd we prefer no pictures help? Thanks for any advice.

How about a polite No Thank You ;) It usually does the trick :)

~~Debbie~~

I agree. It works for us in the dining room and when going ashore. However, it usually doesn't take them that long to take a picture so how much of an inconvenience is it really? You under no obligation to buy the pictures, but occasionally you may find one you really like.:)

We just tell 'em that we don't want any photos 'cause we don't want to take the chance that our respective spouses will find them when we get home!!

;-)

We really don't mind the photos at dinner - some of them are actually very good! The ones we don't bother with are the ones leaving the ship at the ports we stop in.

Michele

Just a thought: Regardless of whether YOU want the pictures, if you're seated at a large table it'd be polite to have them taken. Why? Your tablemates might want a photograph of the entire group, and it would be rude to deny them such a little thing.

Sometimes a polite no thank you does not work, some photographers are very pushy. I really don;t mind so much, but I hate the picture at dinner where half the people have to rise and go stand behind the other people while trying to pick the lettuce out of my teeth. If I am actually eating at the time of the picture, I find it major inconvenience. And by the way, I do buy my fair share of photos on the ship.:D

Tell the waiter "there is an extra tip in it if you keep the photographers away". Of course, if you say it.....please follow through if the waiter lives up to his end of the bargain. If the waiter knows there is more money in it for him, you can bet he will work extra hard to keep those photographers away.

As has been said already, a polite "no thank you" will also usually work.

ah... like I think I said before;) .. if a polite "no thank you" does not work either the waiter or Maitre'd or a quietly spoken "what part of 'no' don't you understand?" would be my tactic.... if you're at a smaller table you are definitely NOT out of line to ask them to please not bother you again..

Recent cruiise first night we asked them not to--we were a table of 4 good friends. They snapped one of me-and left. Next night--formal night we agreed to one--of all 4 of us and then asked them to leave. There was an attempt to talk OVER us and try to get more pictures--but as frequent cruisers--we prefer NOT to have an interruption every night at dinner. They did back off for the rest of the cruise.

The head waiter was another story--he seemed to like to hear himself talk...

Just a thought: Regardless of whether YOU want the pictures, if you're seated at a large table it'd be polite to have them taken. Why? Your tablemates might want a photograph of the entire group, and it would be rude to deny them such a little thing.

While I usually agree with you, I must disagree here. If someone doesn't want his/her picture taken, that should be respected as well. I don't think it's the least bit "rude" to deny total strangers a picture that one is uncomfortable being part of.

Isn't it just as rude for those table mates to insist that everyone be part of the picture after it has been made clear that someone doesn't wish to participate? If someone says, "I'd prefer not to," then that should be the end of it. It's one thing when it's a big family get-together with all the group photos; IMO, it's another for strangers to insist on a group photo if someone doesn't want to participate.

For myself, I don't often like to have pictures taken these days. Since I've been ill, my body and face have changed a great deal. As well, the pain and other symptoms seem to show up on photos in my forced smile, etc. I do not like the way I look in most photos, even though it is the "me" I am now. I don't think I should be made to feel bad for not wanting to have a picture taken. That should be completely my decisions, with no "guilting" from anyone to do it. OTOH, we prefer small tables with just family or just the two of us, so that's rarely an issue anymore.

As always, JMHO, and personal experience/preference.

beachchick

A polite thank you does not always work. The lame pirate would not take 5 or 6 polite No's. I didn't want to make a scene because we were at a table of 8. My SO basically told me to grin and bear it which made things so much better. I eventually just had to turn by head and cover my face when they took the picture.

I am the type of cruiser that always has his camera in arms reach because of so many Kodak moments on a cruise.

So my system is to grab my camera and take pictures of them taking my picture. It keeps my face hidden and my flash sometimes messes up their picture. The funny thing is that many of the people taking pictures are camera shy themselves. I do the same thing on deck or coming off the ship. I use digital so I can take more pictures than they do. Coming off the ship is you have them pose all together it throws off their timing to take the picture of other so the avoid you nexe port. You also get some interesting pictures to save for yourself.

Archived