Train From Civitavecchia to Rome

cpjo

Thinking of trying the train into Rome as we are staying in a hotel close to the Termini. Has anyone any thoughts on its ease of accessing, especially with toting several pieces of luggage. I've heard the road to Rome is pretty congested and thought the train could be a fun option. Any advice is appreciated as this is my first Mediterranean cruise.

Also intrested in answers or any help given on getting to the airport after the cruise.:D :p

Buy the Princess transfer. It will be seamless. There are other options, and if you will search the threads you will find suggestions as to private services.

If you're traveling light it would be easy. Agree with above post regarding stairs.

It is walkable but personally, we wouldn't do it unless we had a small suitcase and personal item. Again, that's a personal choice. Taxi to the station is expensive even though it's less than a 10 minute drive, about US $20-$25.

Friends shared a van to Rome which worked out well for them.

I took the train from Rome to the port and used it to return from the port.

First, it's a LONG walk from the station to the point of entry for the port. This was December 2012, and there was a very enterprising local with a flatbed that charged 1 Euro per bag to wheel luggage between the two points. Be prepared to practically RUN with him; he has a small window to earn money, so he's doesn't just stroll between the points.

The station has at least two platforms, so expect to carry your luggage down a flight of stairs (no escalators, no elevator) to cross under the tracks and then back up a flight. I recall helping a family with small children and too much luggage.

Just like airlines, a morning train to the port that ORIGINATES from Rome most likely will be on time. Good photo ops for unusual angles of St. Peter's.

The noonish train to Rome could be delayed, so plan connections accordingly. I almost missed my connecting train in Rome where I should have had an hour layover.

Having done this trip, my principal warning is that access to your platform may require that you carry your luggage up and down stairs. That has happened to us twice.

We stayed near the Termini & took a cab there for the train to Civitavecchia but would research a shuttle option if doing it again.

Railway station stairs with luggage is definitely a consideration & standing around Termini station for our train's track assignment took awhile. We had prepurchased our tickets but seem to recall having to stand in line to get them. Even in a 1st Class rail car there was no luggage storage area. Fortunately the rail car was nearly empty & we could store our luggage between unoccupied seats. In Civitavecchia we rolled our luggage a couple of blocks to the port's entrance to take the free mandatory bus to the ship.

Those are some of the reasons we'd consider a shuttle service between Rome & the ship even if it was more expensive it'd be more convenient than by train.

We were on the Majestic in April and took the train from Civitavecchia to Rome at the end of the cruise - it was simple, straightforward and cheap! We took the transfer from the ship to the station - you get a free transfer to a car park on the edge of town (2 minutes from the ship) and then a €3 transfer from the car park to the station (really easy and only took another 2 minutes). You do have to take your bags down and up steps in the subway to get to the platform but it's only a dozen steps each time. We had bought tickets on line before leaving home (€5 each) and had a timed train at 8.40. We were at Rome Termini by 9.50. We left our bags in the left luggage at the station and enjoyed a day site seeing in Rome, before getting an evening flight home.

All in all it was really simple and we would happily do it again. If you do have difficulty lifting bags etc. then it might not be for you but if this isn't an issue I would certainly recommend it; and it was lovely seeing the Italian coast and countryside from the train.