Tipping Question

sammygeorge

We have pre-paid gratuities and are in a Sky Suite for the 1st time. Even with pre-paid gratuities, we've always given additional tips to our cabin steward and waitstaff. Being in a suite, we're thinking the list of additional tippees will be longer: butler, Michael's Club concierge, Michael's Club bar tenders.

Suggestions for the amount of these additional tips??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Like you we have always given extra to cabin steward and waitstaff and butler (except once where we didn't meet him until 1/2 way through the cruise and it was only that 1 time).

My first time in Michaels Club like you I queried someone privately who I knew sailed in suites quite often. On that advise and the fact that they are a higher level staff member and that I really don't use their concierge services (other than maybe book 1 specialty) I have not tipped the MC Concierge. I have never tipped the Captains Club Host/Hostess either.

The bar staff on the other hand I tip on the high end of my scale since I do spend quite a lot of time in MC and get to know them pretty well. I drink very standard stuff so it's not like I'm having them run around the ship looking for top of the line stuff. It's just that I get to know them very well and they have always provided above and beyond service.

My first time in MC when it was very new we had a very special bartender and I wrote up an attention to detail card (available at guest relations) for her as I thought she was a real benefit to the Suite Life they were unveiling. She was way better than the MCC on that cruise I got a letter back from the Hotel Director and she told me she received something like free internet time and was nominated for a Star award which is given out monthly. She was very appreciative.

Just my $.02

Tipping is subjective, but here is what we did on a 7 day cruise:

Michael's Concierge: $50 - She booked and rebooked shore excursions, spa appointments (to use up a ton of non refundable OBC) and booked one specialty restaurant for us.

Michael's Bartenders: $10 each BUT we usually got carry out for the martini bar and went to Michael's Club.

Butler: $100, I think. We didn't ask for much. He handled our laundry, traded the sparkling wine for Cabernet and replenished it when it was empty. He also brought us sparkling water for the fridge. He was willing to do anything we asked.