Take own snorkel equipment or not?

darlinjasa

Heard confliciting info. Some said we should buy our snorkel equipment and take it cuz it will cost more than the cost to buy it to rent it for 1x and if we have it we can snorkel off hte beach, etc if we chose TRUE OR FALSE>?

Also heard some excursion price include snorkel rentel. TRUE OR FALSE?

Thanks!;)

Heard confliciting info. Some said we should buy our snorkel equipment and take it cuz it will cost more than the cost to buy it to rent it for 1x and if we have it we can snorkel off hte beach, etc if we chose TRUE OR FALSE>?
It would be cheaper to buy it at home than buy it on the island. Renting once or twice will be cheaper than buying cheap snorkel gear, but if plan on snorkeling more than just a few times, you would be better off buying good quality snorkel gear. Nothing ruins snorkeling or diving faster than a mask that leaks because it doesn't fit well.

Also heard some excursion price include snorkel rental. TRUE OR FALSE?
True.

Something else to consider, do you trust everyone who rents snorkels to clean the snorkels as well as you'd like? Do you share your toothbrush with anyone? Sometimes cheapest isn't the best value.

If you are serious about snorkeling, it would be best to purchase your snorkeling equipment before you go, and try it out to make sure you are comfortable with it, the mask seals, etc. When you are out in the current, surrounded by sharp coral heads, it is not the time to realize you can't keep the water out of your mask. Rental equipment is not always in the best condition, and you never know who used it last. We always take our own.

Usually you can find inexpensive snorkel sets at Walmart or a store like that. Expect to pay in the range of $20-30 though for a snorkel, mask, and fins.

I have to totally agree about buying at least your own snorkel. We were on a snorkeling excursion in Mexico many years ago where we watched the crew dipping the equipment into a tank after everyone used it, then put it back in the storage bins for the next group. When we asked what was in the tank, the crew said "water". We questioned them further about what else was with the water (like bleach maybe), and the insisted it was simply fresh water to rinse the salt off. GROSS!!!!! We bought our own gear immediately after that!!

Usually you can find inexpensive snorkel sets at Walmart or a store like that. Expect to pay in the range of $20-30 though for a snorkel, mask, and fins.

I have to totally agree about buying at least your own snorkel. We were on a snorkeling excursion in Mexico many years ago where we watched the crew dipping the equipment into a tank after everyone used it, then put it back in the storage bins for the next group. When we asked what was in the tank, the crew said "water". We questioned them further about what else was with the water (like bleach maybe), and they insisted it was simply fresh water to rinse the salt off. GROSS!!!!! We bought our own gear immediately after that!!

As mentioned above, your mask fit is important, so it's always best not to buy your equipment online. Not every mask will fit every face, so buying a amsk without actually testing the fit will not always produce good results.

My advice is to go to a local scuba diving shop and get fitted for equipment. You will pay more, but it's worth the price. Dive shops typically do not stock items of poor quality. They can't because the divers they service do not want anything that will not work or will last for only a couple of uses.

The shop will stock a variety of equipment. You can try it on for fit, i.e., mask, fins; and you have an expert at hand to answer all of your questions.

The fit of your fins is as important as the fit of your mask. I once rented equipment and had a poor fit on my fins. After one snorkeling excursion all the skin on the tops of both feet was worn raw. I had difficulty wearing shoes for the rest of the cruise, let alone trying to snorkel again with the salt water getting into the wounds.

Yes, you'll pay a little more at the dive shop, but don't be afraid to ask for a discount if you purchase everything then and there. I have never been denied one.

I agree with what everbody else said. Buy good equipment and it will last a long time if you take care of it. Even if you only snorkel on cruises once or twice a year it is well worth the investment. I scuba dive and had occasion to have to rent my regulator on my last dive (last Saturday in Nassau) because my regulator had a stuck valve we couldn't loosen, and as soon as I put the mouthpiece in I could taste the salt from the last users dive. I don't think they even rinsed it.

I will double check my reg. before my next cruise tho.

Happy bubbles.

One more tip I might add since they are being pretty strict on luggage weight: Snorkel gear takes up a lot of room in luggage. If you know you are paying for excursions that already include the gear, you might want to leave your fins at home. Just take your snorkel and mask, and grab some fins there. But if you know you might be snorkeling on your own, then fins must travel. :)

Of course, it always is nice to pack all your gear and then have the one snorkel excursion you planned get screwed up so that you wasted all that space for nothing. :mad: But that's another post. :rolleyes:

IMHO: If you are serious about snorkling, and are going to snorkle on a semi regular (two or more times a year) basis, by all means buy and take your own gear.

While you can find gear at Walmart, etc., the quality is such that you would be better off using the rental stuff on the ship or on the excursion. If you are going to buy snorkle gear go a to reputable dive shop and expect to pay for the gear.

It would not be unreasonable to expect to pay $50 - $75 for a mask, $25 - $35 for a snorkle and $50 for fins.

Well fitting masks and fins are worth the expense, no leaking and no exhausted legs from fins that are ill fitting and too big for your leg strength.

If you are in a landlocked state like I am (Nebraska), dive shops are few and far between, and department stores don't carry snorkel gear in the winter. We got decent quality Body Glove brand mask, snorkel, fins, and bag at Sam's Club on closeout in September for $20. They have US Divers sets available now online for $49.79. www.samsclub.com. Also try www.diversdirect.com and www.overtons.com. You are taking a chance on good fit, but this equipment is a step above the Walmart stuff. Also good to have is mask drops (to keep your mask from fogging over). There is a good variety of equipment available in the local dive shops in Cozumel and Cancun, but that takes time out from your short shore time.

Thanks for the advice...I'll have to check out those websites. We rented snorkel equipment on the last cruise and didn't even want to think about where it have been before:eek: Ohio isn't a hotspot for this type of equipment, either. Sure, we have Lake Erie, but even with a mask, you can't see anything!

I would definitely take my own as long as you do not have to worry about weight restrictions on flights. We sail out of NYC and take our own. We purchased ours at Costco for $39. It comes with a travel bag, mask, fins and dvd for tips. It is wonderful. We lent it to some very good friends and they said it was some of the best snorkel equip. they used.

• 1 month later...

DH bought me a snorkel and mask for Christmas from a local dive store and they weren't cheap, but they fit well and I can hardly wait to use them. We went back to the same shop to buy the same for him. DH has wide cheekbones, and only one mask they carry fit him. Now I'm glad I didn't buy online, as the mask I would have ordered for him would not have fit properly. Good advice from all of you who mentioned that it might be wise to buy a mask in person, rather than online.

I second the comment to buy at least mask and snorkel tube. The tube should have one or even two valves so water won't seep into your mouth. It's a good idea to buy one that accepts replacement mouthpieces.

BTW - new masks have a protective coating that must be removed before using or it will fog up too easily. To remove rub a nonabrasive toothpaste into both sides, and brush with a very soft bristle toothbrush. You might as well get a bottle of Sea Drops with the mask. It does a good antifog job. Spit works, too, but not as well.

Good snorkel fins are inexpensive, but they do take up luggage space. If that's a concern, tour operators provide all snorkel gear and you can use theirs. Just make sure they're a comfortable fit. If your buy fins, be sure they flex readily. You do not want stiff snorkel fins.

I always say, "take your own equipment if you can"..... Between not knowing who's mouth stuff has been in & how they clean the equipment, I always take my own.... And a problem I ran into once when I didn't take my own were fins that didn't fit... and they were very uncomfortable....And not only are rentals expensive but if you buy, the stuff is almost double..... :rolleyes:

Wal-Mart (uggh! as much as I hate that place) has a Mask and Semi-Dry Snorkel set made by US Divers for $17. It is actually pretty good stuff. I've used it diving for almost a year now and haven't had any problems. As for fins, you'll probably have to pay more for a decent fin. Try a second hand sporting goods store first, then the dive shops.

My 2 cents... definitely buy your own mask and snorkel! (Every time I see them 'rinse' the equipment by shaking them all in a bucket of water, YECH!). Can get some really good masks and snorkels for under $30 for both. We all use Tusa Liberators which scubatoys.com has for $30 with a snorkel.

If you wear glasses, the Liberator can accept corrective lenses for very little extra $.

Save $ and space in your luggage, however, and don't bother with fins, unless you want to do some shore diving on your own as well. (Even there, you could probably manage without them)

• 3 weeks later...

1) Bring a small bottle of baby shampoo and put a couple of drops in your mask instead of using saliva. Mask was crystal clear and stayed that way through several swims out.

2) Bring a small bottle of mouthwash to get the salt water taste out of your mouth. Supposedly you can do this while in the water, but I never seemed to have enough hands to accomplish this. I did rinse on shore though and it was nice too get rid of that salty aftertaste.

Since I am going in December on the Eastern Caribbean, would it be wise for me to take a 3mm wetsuit and/or diveskin or a 1mm wetsuit?

I don't think you'll need a wet suit. The only location where the water might be cool is the Bahamas. You might want to wear a rash guard shirt. That provides a little warmth as well as some UV protection. It also helps ward off those little stingy guys, and it sheds water pretty well.

We used the equipment provided by the tour operator on our first cruise. I too was concerned about the hygene factor but when with it anyway. After reading the posts about the equipment being dunked in just water.....YUK!

We went to a local dive shop today and purchased everything we need. We spent about $350 which got us each; masks, snorkels (with the close off valve so no water can get in), fins, a net bag, a small waterproof "container" and mask cleaner/defogger. We didn't buy the kits available which would have lowered the price considerably, for the mask & snorkel they were about $45.00.

We have a few spots close to home to snorkel through the warm months and are thinking about getting scuba certified so the mask & snorkel can be used then.

I think it is a wise investment, if nothing else for the hygene factor! The fins are very light and I don't think they will take up too much room in our luggage.

Archived