Divina Dining Room Dress Code

GadgetRick

I was watching a video review recently and they said something about men not being able to wear shorts any night in the dining rooms. Is this true?

Also, I understand they have 2 formal nights (ugh). Are khakis and either a polo or a button-down shirt good for these nights?

I'm from FL, self-employed and don't have to dress up. Can you tell I'm not looking forward to having to dress up for dinner? ;)

I was watching a video review recently and they said something about men not being able to wear shorts any night in the dining rooms. Is this true?

Also, I understand they have 2 formal nights (ugh). Are khakis and either a polo or a button-down shirt good for these nights?

I'm from FL, self-employed and don't have to dress up. Can you tell I'm not looking forward to having to dress up for dinner? ;)

Multiple discusions on the same subject.

Short answer is yes, yes, and yes lol. They have this big deal about shorts at dinner, even though they allow jeans. As far as the formal night, khakis and a button down should be ok. Other people will be there reliving the prom from 1965 but they'll let you eat still. Honestly, unless someone in your party just loves the idea, I would just skip the formal night and go to the buffet. It's less crowded and still good food. Finally, I dreaded the formal nights too. So did my wife. So I can relate. Enjoy the cruise though, it's fun

Short answer is yes, yes, and yes lol. They have this big deal about shorts at dinner, even though they allow jeans. As far as the formal night, khakis and a button down should be ok. Other people will be there reliving the prom from 1965 but they'll let you eat still. Honestly, unless someone in your party just loves the idea, I would just skip the formal night and go to the buffet. It's less crowded and still good food. Finally, I dreaded the formal nights too. So did my wife. So I can relate. Enjoy the cruise though, it's fun

Thanks. I've always thought that was funny on other cruise lines--ok to wear jeans but shorts, no. Cruises are stuck in the 1950s as far as this dress code and their shows (for the most part although they've been getting a little better at times). That's why I hate sea days on a cruise. But, I power through and have a good time either way. :)

You'll be alright. Been on the ship twice and formal for me is khakis and a polo. A few nights we chose the buffet because it is easier to have an actual spacious, quiet sea view and quite good food, relaxed, no dressing up. You would be surprised. The ship has a resort casual feel to it. Don't sweat it.

You'll be alright. Been on the ship twice and formal for me is khakis and a polo. A few nights we chose the buffet because it is easier to have an actual spacious, quiet sea view and quite good food, relaxed, no dressing up. You would be surprised. The ship has a resort casual feel to it. Don't sweat it.

Thanks a bunch!

• 2 weeks later...

I like getting dressed for dinner and so does my wife... I know some peoples idea of smart dress is a white blouse or shirt and a pair of jeans, but you can do that anywhere, and some do it all the time, so I am glad that there is at least some standards maintained. (to me they should be higher) and as is said above the buffet can be quieter.

Anyway, off to press my cravat !!

I have to wear business attire every day at work. I understand cruise lines having dress codes but at the end of the day I value comfort on vacation more than anything. so long as folks are presentable I have a low bar for attire.

that said, set the bar too low and folks will go barefoot on airlines. and clip their nails. ruins the experience for others.

I love the discount cruise lines too, where things are more relaxed. I say play by the rules of the vendor you select.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I agree! There is a suggested dress code for a reason. I wouldn't wear shorts to dinner in my mother's dining room, much less in any nice restaurant and I think the same is expected in the MDR. There is the buffet for those who prefer to dress more casually on gala nights. But I think the guidelines should be respected.

I like getting dressed for dinner and so does my wife... I know some peoples idea of smart dress is a white blouse or shirt and a pair of jeans, but you can do that anywhere, and some do it all the time, so I am glad that there is at least some standards maintained. (to me they should be higher) and as is said above the buffet can be quieter.

Anyway, off to press my cravat !!

I have to wear business attire every day at work. I understand cruise lines having dress codes but at the end of the day I value comfort on vacation more than anything. so long as folks are presentable I have a low bar for attire.

that said, set the bar too low and folks will go barefoot on airlines. and clip their nails. ruins the experience for others.

I love the discount cruise lines too, where things are more relaxed. I say play by the rules of the vendor you select.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Obviously, we don't have a choice but to play by their rules... ;)

I agree! There is a suggested dress code for a reason. I wouldn't wear shorts to dinner in my mother's dining room, much less in any nice restaurant and I think the same is expected in the MDR. There is the buffet for those who prefer to dress more casually on gala nights. But I think the guidelines should be respected.

Nobody is saying we're going to ignore the guidelines. We're saying, in an environment like this, the guidelines (for any cruise line I've been on) is a bit much. Living in a hot climate, getting dressed up with long pants, jacket, etc. is uncomfortable and, honestly, kinda gross (because it's so hot/humid many of us tend to sweat). This is why, in warmer climates like here in FL and in the Caribbean, dress codes take the heat into consideration.

I'm fortunate to own a business and I rarely wear long pants here in FL. Obviously, I'll have to wear long pants if I intend on dining in the MDR but it would be nice if I didn't have to as I think it's a bit much. I also don't tend to go on vacation and want to actually get dressed up. Some people like it--and that's cool for them as well--but I've just never cared to on vacation.

Sure, there's an alternative--the buffet--but, someone may want to enjoy a sit-down meal with their family rather than at the buffet.

This business of dressing up like this is a leftover from like the 50s/60s. Cruiselines have been stuck in those decades for many things forever. Honestly, it's one reason I don't tend to select a cruise as my vacation. Each cruise we've done has been someone else's idea. This cruise is a family vacation of sorts. Wasn't my choice. But, just trying to make the best of it and was just asking about the dress code. I understand your point of view.

Just making sure I understand.......this is a family vacation set up by yourself or a family member..... Were you aware of the dress code prior to booking? There are cruiselines, (NCL) that do allows shorts in the MDR in the evening. All but 2 of their restaurants allow shorts.

Seems to me wanting the cruise line to change their policy to accomodate that request would be the equivalent of being able to ask them to go to the Western Caribbean instead of the Eastern, because it is what you prefer. You'd probably get the same answer from them.

When I sail NCL, and I do, I expect to see shorts and find it acceptable. But when I sail other lines where shorts are verbotten, I applaud when I see someone turned away from the MDR for being underdressed.

Just my 2 cents. However, I am thinking of going to McD's tonight and asking them to put a table cloth on the table and a candle and perhaps a flower arrangement, because that is what I like and am use to. (Removing tongue from cheek.)

Just making sure I understand.......this is a family vacation set up by yourself or a family member..... Were you aware of the dress code prior to booking? There are cruiselines, (NCL) that do allows shorts in the MDR in the evening. All but 2 of their restaurants allow shorts.

Seems to me wanting the cruise line to change their policy to accomodate that request would be the equivalent of being able to ask them to go to the Western Caribbean instead of the Eastern, because it is what you prefer. You'd probably get the same answer from them.

When I sail NCL, and I do, I expect to see shorts and find it acceptable. But when I sail other lines where shorts are verbotten, I applaud when I see someone turned away from the MDR for being underdressed.

Just my 2 cents. However, I am thinking of going to McD's tonight and asking them to put a table cloth on the table and a candle and perhaps a flower arrangement, because that is what I like and am use to. (Removing tongue from cheek.)

Ugh, are you just TRYING to argue? I never said--and reiterated, btw--I expect them to change the dress code. I was wondering when the Internet trolls would show up to this discussion.

Ugh, are you just TRYING to argue? I never said--and reiterated, btw--I expect them to change the dress code. I was wondering when the Internet trolls would show up to this discussion.

As a fellow south Floridian who conducts most business "sans pants" I completely understood your question and tone. See my original reply in this thread and stick to that. Multiple times on this ship. Never an issue. You will be fine, really. I never had an issue anywhere onboard, I probably dress "mid-pack" at best, I have little to no interest in it.

Luckily the entire inside of the ship and MDR is air conditioned so we can all be comfortable with the ship's suggested dress code. People dress to all different levels on the Divina and most is accepted by their guidelines. I have heard of them turning people away in shorts...not on the first night (which is usually casual and people get their luggage at all different times) but for the remainder of the cruise.

It can't be too antiquated if there are many who like and prefer dressing for dinner - just a difference of opinion. In MSC's case they give suggested dress - I go with it.

As a fellow south Floridian who conducts most business "sans pants" I completely understood your question and tone. See my original reply in this thread and stick to that. Multiple times on this ship. Never an issue. You will be fine, really. I never had an issue anywhere onboard, I probably dress "mid-pack" at best, I have little to no interest in it.

I'll power through. I just wanted to find out the scoop as, my first cruise I was told one thing by the cruise line and got burned on the ship because of that.

• 1 month later...

Get over it pal. If you want to wear short book a 3 star cruise