Euros and Dollars. Is there an exchange on ship

Action Dave

Hi Everyone this will be our first Euro Cruise. Seems like the more i read the more questions i have. Is there an exchange on board for $ to Eu. Should we get Euros before we leave or do they take american Dollars in europe.

Thanks

Yes ,there is. You might want to buy some Euros from your bank as it most likely will cost less . There are a few options eg. getting them from a bank's ATM once there . Although somewhat more but less than the ship, we have purchased from Wells Fargo . Just liked the convenience of doing that .

Yes they do exchange on the ship.

We decided to get some Euros . . . just in case while on the ship (Getaway) during the cruise.

The exchange rate (plus their exchange fees) was horrendous.

For $40 US, I received back 30 Euros.

Caveat - I could have been okay without exchanging any Euros. Pretty much everyone took credit cards. Just in case, make sure you have a Pin # - and I think I was only asked for it twice the whole cruise. Note, if you are stopping over in Iceland, almost everywhere I used my card, I was asked for the PIN#.

Also note - some stores (usually the larger ones) occasionally did allow you to purchase items with US dollars (they would figure out the exchange rate, and give you back change in their country's currency.

Hi Everyone this will be our first Euro Cruise. Seems like the more i read the more questions i have. Is there an exchange on board for $ to Eu. Should we get Euros before we leave or do they take american Dollars in europe.

Thanks

The exchange rate on the ship is awful. AAA, many of the big travel agencies and banks use the same money exchange company, but charge vastly different exchange rates and service charges. We found that AAA was the best.

Just use your ATM card to get euros out of a machine once you arrive in Europe, you will get your bank's exchange rate, which is likely to be pretty good. It works just like at home, only the currency looks funny. Many, but not all, stores and restaurants take American credit cards. (Visa and Master Card mostly, AMEX less so, Discover in a few locations)

Be sure to alert your bank and credit card companies that you will be using your cards while abroad. Security features will now shut those puppies down.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just use your ATM card to get euros out of a machine once you arrive in Europe, you will get your bank's exchange rate, which is likely to be pretty good. It works just like at home, only the currency looks funny. Many, but not all, stores and restaurants take American credit cards. (Visa and Master Card mostly, AMEX less so, Discover in a few locations)

Be sure to alert your bank and credit card companies that you will be using your cards while abroad. Security features will now shut those puppies down.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Called Capital One to tell them where I will be traveling, got a recorded message telling me they don't have to know where I will be when because my cc has a chip in it.

As stated earlier use you credit card for purchases in stores that will allow it. It's best if you have a card that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee.

You will probably need Euros for taxis, buses, or small merchants that don't accept cards. ATM or debit cards with a 4 digit pin will get you needed cash at the best exchange rate. Because of skimmers and other card fraud we never leave much money in the account associated with the debit or ATM card we use when we travel abroad.

Try not to ever use currency exchange services at airport, hotels, or in street-side kiosks. Don't pay with dollars at the sellers exchange rate. It's a pain for them to exchange the dollars so they will offer you an exceptionally poor exchange rate. Also if you use a credit card, don't let the merchant price the purchase in dollars. Let your credit card company convert the Euros amount to a dollar amount when they bill you.

If you plan to ever return. it's a good idea to keep a few Euros (or Pesos, Krone, Etc). Sometimesyou need a small amount of foreign currency for taxis or whatever before you can find an ATM on our next visit.

One trick that I have done before is to overpay a credit card then use that at the ATM to get euros. One thing to be aware of is that they use large bills if you request 100 Euros you have a good chance of getting a single 100 euro bill. If you request 80, you could get 4 -20's or a 50-20-10 euro.

Just use your ATM card to get euros out of a machine once you arrive in Europe, you will get your bank's exchange rate, which is likely to be pretty good. It works just like at home, only the currency looks funny. Many, but not all, stores and restaurants take American credit cards. (Visa and Master Card mostly, AMEX less so, Discover in a few locations). Be sure to alert your bank and credit card companies that you will be using your cards while abroad. Security features will now shut those puppies down.

Also check about using your cards for foreign transactions. Many banks will hit you with a foreign transaction fee for using your card internationally. And charge you for cash advances against your credit cards (even with a negative balance).

Also check about using your cards for foreign transactions. Many banks will hit you with a foreign transaction fee for using your card internationally. And charge you for cash advances against your credit cards (even with a negative balance).

Agree. My Capital One credit card has no foreign transaction fee.