Have you ever...

villagenut

This makes interesting reading. I have opted for the Cheers program on my cruise next month. As I'm travelling with my 20yr old son I could buy it just for me (He's having Bottomless bubbles and is ok with that). If I'd had to pay for him too then I wouldn't have bought it - there's no way I'd want to encourage him to drink too much - I however, need no encouragement!

I just wondered if they list the drinks on your bill, with the price they would have cost. That way you could easily see if it had been worth it?

Now, just point me in the direction of Alchemy....................... ;-)

DH and I had Cheers for the first time on our most recent cruise on the Magic. For all previous cruises, he had bought the soda package, and we had pre-ordered bottled water for the cabin. He only drinks domestic beer when it comes to alcohol, so I knew we'd never make a killing by buying the package, but we just wanted to try it. I had "done the math" based on prior cruises, and I knew going in that we would "break even" at the best, but I liked the idea of making the vacation feel more all inclusive, so we went with it.

In the end, I was glad we tried it, but we probably won't buy it again. I don't regret having tried it once, though. I did like having a latte in the mornings, and DH liked an afternoon milkshake.

On the last day, I wasn't feeling great so I didn't even have one drink--so that definitely cut into the cost effectiveness, but that was just bad luck--or maybe it was those RockStar energy drinks I was having--too much carbonation for me.

Anyway, for us it's just a wash. If they had the specific brand of alcohol I drink and/or the specific brand of energy drink I love, then I would be all over it for every cruise.

1) bought the cheers program and then after that cruise regretted it because u didn't feel like u drank enough to pay for it..

And/or

2) chose not to buy cheers and after the cruise realized it would have saved you money and wished you had made the purchase

Stories and explanations? Thanks!

The only time we bought the Cheers program was on a 4 day cruise with another couple out of NY to Canada. Because it was NY, you couldn't buy the program until Day 2, so you really only paid for 3 days worth. After boarding, we each had 4 drinks between 12 pm - 10 pm - so we figured, hey, we only have 1 port day and 2 sea days and have already spent $100 so lets try it (we drink martinis from Alchemy as our preferred beverage). Day 2 was great. DH drank double expressos, specialty coffees and we each probably had 7 beverages over the course of the day - so got our money. Day 3 became the issue - we were in port 8 am - 4 pm and had a rental car. When we got back on board just before 4, we were staring down the barrel of another 6 drinks to break even...and we just don't stay up late - usually in bed by 10. We did it, but by Day 4, we felt like our bodies were NOT happy with us.

So, was it worth it on this short "adult" cruise - probably, but not sure it was necessary; DH has no issue passing on the coffees and on a sea day we probably drink 5 or less on average. And we definitely would not pay for it on a 7 day cruise or anything that was port intensive. Now if it comes as a perk (Princess running Sip and Sail) I will happily take it...;p

This makes interesting reading. I have opted for the Cheers program on my cruise next month. As I'm travelling with my 20yr old son I could buy it just for me (He's having Bottomless bubbles and is ok with that). If I'd had to pay for him too then I wouldn't have bought it - there's no way I'd want to encourage him to drink too much - I however, need no encouragement!

I just wondered if they list the drinks on your bill, with the price they would have cost. That way you could easily see if it had been worth it?

Now, just point me in the direction of Alchemy....................... ;-)

No, the price isn't listed, just $0.00. I did save my first bill with the prices when I didn't do Cheers and a Coor's Light was $6.70 back then.....$6.70 X 77 beers= $515.90. I knew I'd do Cheers from then on!:D

We buy it, and in the end we have always been happy that we did. Our last cruise, there was a day my husband didn't feel well, and he started to regret that we had it, but by the next day, he made up for it!! I like it because I know that we won't have a surprise bill at the end, and that I can try new drinks. If I don't like it, I don't feel like I lost a lot of money on that drink.

I always find very funny the people in these threads that say it saves everyone money. So not true. Especially on port heavy itineraries.

Good point we have 4 ports and 7 days! Still can't decide we leave next month!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are going on our 4th cruise at the end of the month and for the first time we've decided to purchase the Cheers package. I drink, but was always afraid that I wouldn't drink enough to justify it. and I don't want to drink more JUST to get my money's worth. I do drink beer, but not often, and I don't drink the fruity frozen drinks as I find them too sugary and filling.

My usual drink of choice is bourbon or whiskey, maybe a nice martini or two. On our 3rd cruise we went on the Liberty and I discovered the Alchemy Bar. It quickly became my favorite place on the ship. LOL But drinking the kinds of drinks I do, I KNOW there is now way I'm come close to the limit, not without having to be carried to my room. So I think I usually drank about 4 alcoholic drinks a day....all in the evening. But when I got to thinking about what else I may drink during the day : maybe a bloody mary with breakfast, and a specialty coffee......it started to seem more cost effective for me. I've recently started drinking mineral water as well which I'd need to purchase. So once I stopped thinking about it in terms of "how MANY alcoholic drinks do I need to drink" and started thinking about the other things I would save $ on, it made much more sense to try it.

Also, I'm a planner. OCD level planner. I'm off the charts when it comes to budgeting $ for a cruise. So in my much needed efforts this time around to just CHILL OUT AND RELAX, this feels like it will be really nice to just walk up and get something without having to think to myself where I am falling within my budgeted $ every day. I've decided that even if we don't, we'll be close enough to breaking even that I'm just going to view it as a win :D

I am torn thinking of getting it would love not to have an expensive bar bill as those frozen drinks add up!

What do you consider an expensive bar bill? With Cheers, a 7 night cruise for 2 people (if you are cruising with another adult in your cabin with you), with the gratuity added is roughly $800 (rough numbers, don't flame me if I am off a few $). Now if you consider $500 a high bar bill, you are much better off paying by the drink if you don't feel like you will approach the amount that Cheers will charge you

What do you consider an expensive bar bill? With Cheers, a 7 night cruise for 2 people (if you are cruising with another adult in your cabin with you), with the gratuity added is roughly $800 (rough numbers, don't flame me if I am off a few $). Now if you consider $500 a high bar bill, you are much better off paying by the drink if you don't feel like you will approach the amount that Cheers will charge you

I agree our bill is usually between 500 and 600!! But where my husband has a problem is the energy drinks he could drink 3 or 4 a day!!! At home we buy them for a $1.00 a piece we last cruised 2 years ago so I can't remember if they had it then but the way we are coming in shared shuttle I don't think that they stop for drinks to purchase!!

I just got off my first cruise and I can tell you from my experience and what I know about me personally that I don't think I would buy a drink package again. Since I am not a huge drinker the cheers package is defiantly not worth it to me. And even though I do drink quite a bit of diet coke I found out if you buy a soda individually you get the whole can of soda, if you buy the drink package you only get what fits in your glass. Since I can take a 12 pack of soda per person next time I will just do that and take my can with me.

Also, a tip I wish I would have thought of, for my next cruise I am going to buy gift cards and then add them to my S&S at the beginning...they I don't have to worry about such a large balance at the end of the cruise.

This is only our 2nd cruise. We were just discussing the Cheers package this weekend for our upcoming cruise on Magic in November. We decided to go for it. We like the idea of getting all of our drinks included. If I want milkshakes, frozen drinks, champagne, water. I don't have to think about it. Hubby can drink his beers and if it gets warm grab a new one. I really don't care of we break even or not. Just looking forward to relaxing and enjoying ourselves with no worry about the cost! 😁

Well....it should be obvious for someone who drinks two drinks a day wouldn't benefit from purchasing a drink package.

If you see yourself having a 3 or 4 beers on deck during the day, a glass of wine with dinner and maybe another 2 or 3 drinks in the lounge after dinner then the math already says you will come out ahead even factoring in the average port day. If the glass of wine turn into 2 and the after dinner ends up lasting late into the night with a few more drinks it has cost you nothing. If you want to try something new then go for it. The freedom adds value in my experience.

If I drank all that in a day, I'd be stumbling overboard! No Cheers for us! We order a 12 pack of bottled water for the room and I have a couple glasses of wine with dinner, that's it. I wish I could drink more, but I'm just not good at it. :o

I pick #3.

Have purchased Cheers for our upcoming cruise (first ever cruise ) and am already regretting it and wish I could cancel. I thought the convenience would be nice but with 4 port days, I'm thinking it wasn't a wise choice. I could likely keep up for 3/4 days but 7 is too much. I really wish thEy would sell different levels, like half price packages for half of the days. Or punch cards, where you buy packages by the numbers. Unlimited is one price, 40 drinks is one price, 20 is another price etc. A full, medium and small tier package like they do with Wifi.

I pick #3.

Have purchased Cheers for our upcoming cruise (first ever cruise ) and am already regretting it and wish I could cancel. I thought the convenience would be nice but with 4 port days, I'm thinking it wasn't a wise choice. I could likely keep up for 3/4 days but 7 is too much. I really wish thEy would sell different levels, like half price packages for half of the days. Or punch cards, where you buy packages by the numbers. Unlimited is one price, 40 drinks is one price, 20 is another price etc. A full, medium and small tier package like they do with Wifi.

You can cancel unless you sailed today. Cheers is refundable until 11:59PM ET, the night prior to your cruise.

I have always bought it, and always will... Now that they have upped the drink price limit to $50 means that all of my mixed drinks will be made with top shelf liquor. and with the addition to bottled water now being included, I will stock up on that for port days...

We buy cheers most of the time. It seems worth it. We don't worry about an unexpected bill and we try things we never would. We rarely hit our 15 drinks. I think 2/4 on our last cruise only did it 1 day. Have a few mimosas or bloody marys with breakfast to get the day going.

My husband and I bought it and I regretted it afterwards because I constantly felt the need to drink to "get my monies worth". [emoji23] I mostly drink the frozen drinks and by the time we went to dinner I was so full that I couldn't eat a lot of my meal.

I calculated the number that we drank versus what cheers cost us and it was pretty much a wash. I would have saved money if we just paid as we go because I wouldn't have drank as much as I did.

I'm thinking that's what's going to happen with us too. If I liked beer or wine as much as DH likes his beer, it would be a no-brainer. :)

I always find very funny the people in these threads that say it saves everyone money. So not true. Especially on port heavy itineraries.

Lots of people, including me, stay on board in port. Last cruise I never got off the ship in 8 days:D

You can cancel unless you sailed today. Cheers is refundable until 11:59PM ET, the night prior to your cruise.

Oh wow, thank you so very much. I've actually lost sleep over this, trying to justify the cost. We will have my son with us this trip and I just know I will consume nowhere near the amount of liquids I need to and I don't need my husband pulling double duty to make up for it. LOL. Next cruise is adults only Booze Cruise on NCL with fellow CC members. I won't have any trouble keeping up then.

Oh wow, thank you so very much. I've actually lost sleep over this, trying to justify the cost. We will have my son with us this trip and I just know I will consume nowhere near the amount of liquids I need to and I don't need my husband pulling double duty to make up for it. LOL. Next cruise is adults only Booze Cruise on NCL with fellow CC members. I won't have any trouble keeping up then.

Trust me I can't decide either I am afraid if I don't get it I will regret not getting it as a way to try new drinks and not have that large bill!! I have been looking forward to the frozen drinks [emoji484] for months lol!! I only have a few days to decide