any religious services on westerdam

creel5857

We were on a cruise with HAL last year New Zealand and Australia. There was aShabbat service held on Fridays but led

by a another cruise passenger. Hal was great they provided wine , challah , and even gefilte fish! Unfortunately the cruise to Greece has only one Friday on board.

We will be in Athens celebrating my husband's birthday so we will miss this wonderful get together. Sweetie and cutie.

Every HAL ship carries a priest who officiates at a Catholic mass. There used to be protestant chaplains on longer cruises but that has been discontinued for almost a year.

What is left is a "congregation led" interdenominational service on Sundays which is usually pretty disorganized. The agency which provides the priests indicate that an interdenominational service is one of the functions that they can provide but few do it (Crystal's priests do an excellent job of this) and HAL seems almost to be sabotaging this possibility by scheduling the interdenominational service and the mass at the same time.

What they do provide is a room and small hymnbooks.

Roy

Roy: This priest has done many interdenominational services. Sometimes there are ministers on board who prefer to do it. On a couple of recent sailings the interdenominational service takes place at same time as Mass. On Friday evening the Jewish people have a Sabbath service.

Recruiter 28, just wanted to say we will be on the transatlantic crossing on the 26th and echo your thoughts about treasuring "the time to just 'be' and see God's majesty in the seas and beauty around". Looking forward to our first crossing. See you there!

Thank you...it will be so wonderful to have Mass available...a true gift from HAL. This will be our 5th transatlantic cruise. We treasure the time to just "be" and see God's majesty in the seas and beauty around. Thank you for all you do to serve His people.

I don't think I have seen any mention of ship scheduled religious services on our 7-day Caribbean cruises (charters). That said, there have been Jewish services - sometimes led by a rabbi. On our February cruise one of our friends who is an Episcopal priest was also on the cruise and I arranged with the ship for him to lead a Holy Eucharist service - they provided most of what we needed (I did not expect them to have copies of the Book of Common Prayer!).