October LOS Cruise- Cruising with my kids as a single dad for the first time

I'll be on the Oct 22 cruise of Liberty and I'm really looking forward to as are my kids (DS 10 and DS 13). This will be our first time vacationing as a single parent family since their mom and I split up last year. All of our previous cruises had been the four of us. I am wondering if others have had this experience, what it was like, is there anything to be aware of, etc.? I just want to make sure that we have an amazing time even though it may feel a little different this time. Thank you all so much and have a great week!

I look at each cruise as its own experience. This gives you an excellent chance to have quality fun time with your kids.

Make sure to take a notarized letter from their mom authorizing you to take them on the cruise and to seek any required medical or dental services.

You might also want to give them an opportunity to call or text their mom during the cruise.

Hope you and your sons have a great cruise.

The first vacation my ex took with my boys was the spring after our divorce. Oldest was 15, younger one 10.5. They went to Disney/Universal. We had done multiple Disney trips as a family, and one Universal one.

I actually went on a cruise the same week with my mom, so there were days they could not reach me on the ship except via text. However, when we docked in Port Canaveral, had several phone calls and texts, and they managed to text me several times on other days.

If they want to text their mom, let them. Just enjoy the time, make it special for the 3 of you. I would avoid comparing to other cruises you've done as a family. Do fun stuff, but don't go overboard trying to compensate.

Don't mean to sound weird, but I think sometimes each parent forgets they don't have to apologize for a divorce (at least I don't think you should have to do that). Just go and have fun. I'm sure the kids will love it.

Don't mean to sound weird, but I think sometimes each parent forgets they don't have to apologize for a divorce (at least I don't think you should have to do that). Just go and have fun. I'm sure the kids will love it.

This is excellent advise. Thank you njmomof2 !!

You are smart to keep the cruising tradition going. My kids and I have been through many changes the past few years. Through it all, we tried to still do some of the things we always did - including putting "reindeer food" out on Christmas Eve - even though they were getting older and even though we moved a couple times. My son was much more vocal about doing what we "always" did. But in her quiet way, I think keeping traditions alive meant something to my daughter as well. From your signature, it looks like Royal may be new to your family. So that might really work out well. You will be doing what you have enjoyed, but in a new way/environment. And what a great idea about the slides! As parents, we work so hard to provide for our kids. It might be hard for kids to understand those efforts. But they easily understand the time we spend with them. Those are the things they remember.

One thing that can be a bit of an adjustment is taking turns. With two parents and two kids, it was often divide and conquer. But now the kids may have to wait for their turn a little more often. You've probably already experienced this in day to day living, but vacations seem to add to turn taking - air plane seats on the smaller planes, booths in restaurants, amusement park rides, and so forth. Maybe it is just my kids, but there are always things to work out: who will sit where, who gets to pick the activity first, and on and on. It never hurts to prepare kids ahead of time.

Have a fun cruise!