Confused about bus trips in Denali please clarify and advice on which one to take

fedexretiree

My friend and I are going to Denali next June and I am totally confused about the bus trips that are offered.

We are thinking about taking the 13 hour trip called Denali Back Country Adventure and am wondering if that is a good trip. I understand that you can do gold panning at the lunch stop which sounds like fun. I would like to hear from someone who has done this and what they thought about it. Was it too long? Worth the cost? That sort of thing.

Also, I have read about the Tundra Wilderness tour that is 8 hours. Would like to get feedback on that as well.

Finally, I have read that there are "shuttle bus" that are cheaper than that 8 hour Tundra Wilderness tour but I can't find any information about schedules, cost, and who runs them and where to catch them. and do they go farther into the park than the Tundra Wilderness tour?? Is this a better option for the money??I have called around and no one can really explain the shuttle bus. Help Please

The National Park web site has lots of info on the tours and shuttles, as well as a map which indicates the popular spots along the park road, as well as the end point for some of the trips. Note the locations of Teklanika River, Toklat, Stoney Hill, Eielson Visitor Center, Wonder Lake and Kantishna as these are end points.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visiting-denali.htm

The buses are primarily managed by an outside vendor. Their reservation site has lots of good info as well, and allows you to see schedules for specific dates.

Pay close attention to the start dates of the various tours/shuttles. The park road opens in stages as they clear the snow and repair the road. It isn't open all the way until June 8.

http://www.reservedenali.com/

Edited by mapleleaves
correction

The tours and shuttles drive the same road, stop every 90 minutes at the same rest stops and stop for wildlife sightings.

There are different tours to choose from and there are different shuttles to choose from, depending on how far you want to go into the park.

Here is a really generalized view of the differences:

-Tour bus drivers have a prepared narration to provide throughout the trip, talking about history, geology, wildlife etc.

The tour buses have overhead video screens. If wildlife is far away, the driver can zoom it in for you to have a closer look. I believe you can buy a video of your trip afterwards. The tour buses provide a lunch and water. Most of the tours will pick you up at the lodges where cruisetour people are staying. The longer tours only have 2 designated departure times each day. You chose a time during a 45 minute window in the morning or in the afternoon.

-Shuttle bus drivers aren't required to provide narration, but I've always had great drivers They seemed to be excited about every trip into the park and wanted to share their information with us. Plus a happy customer is more likely to tip !

No food or bev is provided. But most hotels and restaurants have boxed lunches to sell.

The shuttles leave more frequently, sometimes every 30 minutes so you can choose whichever departure time works best for you. You need to get yourself to the bus loading location at the Wilderness Access Center inside the park.

Since you're looking at the TWT, it compares to the Eielson Visitor Center shuttle.

The TWT goes to mile 62 at Stoney Hill and costs about $130.

The Eielson shuttle goes to the Eielson Visitor Center at mile 66 and costs about $34. The Visitor Center is a very nice destination with awesome views if the mtn is out, displays, rangers, trails, ranger led walks, flush toilets, running water and a bus dispatcher who can arrange for a different bus back if you choose to stay for a few hours and explore.

I've never been to Kantishna so I have no personal info. And I've only ridden the shuttle buses, never a tour bus, so my description is slanted towards the shuttle . Sometimes I book a shuttle to Wonder Lake but if the weather isn't clear I only go as far as Eielson. And sometimes I just book a seat to Eielson for an easy RT.

(You might find some old trip reports that include a ride to Kantishna. Use the search function with the word Kantishna. The only report I can think of at the moment is from jmele999 in the 2015 trip report list. )

The National Park web site has lots of info on the tours and shuttles, as well as a map which indicates the popular spots along the park road, as well as the end point for some of the trips. Note the locations of Teklanika River, Toklat, Stoney Hill, Eielson Visitor Center, Wonder Lake and Kantishna as these are end points.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visiting-denali.htm

The buses are primarily managed by an outside vendor. Their reservation site has lots of good info as well, and allows you to see schedules for specific dates.

Pay close attention to the start dates of the various tours/shuttles. The park road opens in stages as they clear the snow and repair the road. It isn't open all the way until June 8.

http://www.reservedenali.com/

Thanks SOOO much. We will be there June 5/6 it appears that the shuttle will only operate as far as Eielson Visitor Center but is much cheaper than the TWT. Is there that much difference non narrated as opposed to narrated?? Which have you done and what is your recommendation?

I've only taken the shuttles so I can't compare the experience. I LOVE the shuttles to Eielson. I've always had great drivers who were very enthusiastic. Some of the shuttle drivers drove the tour buses in the past so they know the narration.

I've read of a couple people having a dud for a driver. If that happens you can always hop off and catch the next bus. If you're not comfortable getting off the bus in the middle of nowhere, get off at the rest stop. Another bus will stop there shortly.

Will you have a vehicle? or do you need a way to get to the park?

The tours and shuttles drive the same road, stop every 90 minutes at the same rest stops and stop for wildlife sightings.

There are different tours to choose from and there are different shuttles to choose from, depending on how far you want to go into the park.

Here is a really generalized view of the differences:

-Tour bus drivers have a prepared narration to provide throughout the trip, talking about history, geology, wildlife etc.

The tour buses have overhead video screens. If wildlife is far away, the driver can zoom it in for you to have a closer look. I believe you can buy a video of your trip afterwards. The tour buses provide a lunch and water. Most of the tours will pick you up at the lodges where cruisetour people are staying. The longer tours only have 2 designated departure times each day. You chose a time during a 45 minute window in the morning or in the afternoon.

-Shuttle bus drivers aren't required to provide narration, but I've always had great drivers They seemed to be excited about every trip into the park and wanted to share their information with us. Plus a happy customer is more likely to tip !

No food or bev is provided. But most hotels and restaurants have boxed lunches to sell.

The shuttles leave more frequently, sometimes every 30 minutes so you can choose whichever departure time works best for you. You need to get yourself to the bus loading location at the Wilderness Access Center inside the park.

Since you're looking at the TWT, it compares to the Eielson Visitor Center shuttle.

The TWT goes to mile 62 at Stoney Hill and costs about $130.

The Eielson shuttle goes to the Eielson Visitor Center at mile 66 and costs about $34. The Visitor Center is a very nice destination with awesome views if the mtn is out, displays, rangers, trails, ranger led walks, flush toilets, running water and a bus dispatcher who can arrange for a different bus back if you choose to stay for a few hours and explore.

I've never been to Kantishna so I have no personal info. And I've only ridden the shuttle buses, never a tour bus, so my description is slanted towards the shuttle . Sometimes I book a shuttle to Wonder Lake but if the weather isn't clear I only go as far as Eielson. And sometimes I just book a seat to Eielson for an easy RT.

(You might find some old trip reports that include a ride to Kantishna. Use the search function with the word Kantishna. The only report I can think of at the moment is from jmele999 in the 2015 trip report list. )

THANKS FOR THE GREAT INFO. We were thinking about taking the Denali Back Country Bus tour but its 184.00 per person and am not thinking that the extra cost may not be worth it to go from the Eielson Visitor Center to Wonder Lake. Is there that much more to see between Wonder Lake and Eielson?

We have only been on the tundra wilderness tour and not the shuttles. We had a great time. I can tell you however, that I would not book the TWT just because of the overhead screens and video camera the driver has, I thought that was all a little overkill and the images were not that great. I did miss a great photo opportunity - I really wish I would have taken a shot of the many people on the bus taking a photo of the overhead video screen with a bear on it, rather than taking a photo of the bear itself! I found that image funny !!!

As far as the narration goes, I am a narration kind of person and really enjoy commentary. On our bus, however, I was not impressed with the driver's narration. She didn't provide much information and kind of talked to us like we where children. However, I am sure there are fantastic narrators as well, we just didn't get one.

I've only taken the shuttles so I can't compare the experience. I LOVE the shuttles to Eielson. I've always had great drivers who were very enthusiastic. Some of the shuttle drivers drove the tour buses in the past so they know the narration.

I've read of a couple people having a dud for a driver. If that happens you can always hop off and catch the next bus. If you're not comfortable getting off the bus in the middle of nowhere, get off at the rest stop. Another bus will stop there shortly.

Will you have a vehicle? or do you need a way to get to the park?

We are renting a car so that won't be a problem

We have only been on the tundra wilderness tour and not the shuttles. We had a great time. I can tell you however, that I would not book the TWT just because of the overhead screens and video camera the driver has, I thought that was all a little overkill and the images were not that great. I did miss a great photo opportunity - I really wish I would have taken a shot of the many people on the bus taking a photo of the overhead video screen with a bear on it, rather than taking a photo of the bear itself! I found that image funny !!!

As far as the narration goes, I am a narration kind of person and really enjoy commentary. On our bus, however, I was not impressed with the driver's narration. She didn't provide much information and kind of talked to us like we where children. However, I am sure there are fantastic narrators as well, we just didn't get one.

Oh that is funny...Too bad when you pay that kind of money not to get a good tour narration.

THANKS FOR THE GREAT INFO. We were thinking about taking the Denali Back Country Bus tour but its 184.00 per person and am not thinking that the extra cost may not be worth it to go from the Eielson Visitor Center to Wonder Lake. Is there that much more to see between Wonder Lake and Eielson?

I've never heard of that tour. Is it offered by a cruisetour or some other tour company.

It's probably going to Kantishna which won't be open on your dates.

If you are at the park June 5/6, you can only go as far as Eielson Visitor Center and that will be by shuttle. Your next furthest destination would be Stoney Hill on the TWT.

I've never heard of that tour. Is it offered by a cruisetour or some other tour company.

It's probably going to Kantishna which won't be open on your dates.

If you are at the park June 5/6, you can only go as far as Eielson Visitor Center and that will be by shuttle. Your next furthest destination would be Stoney Hill on the TWT.

Here is the link for that tour. It started June 5 of this year

https://www.alaskacollection.com/activities/denali-backcountry-adventure/

Since you have been from the Eielson Visitor Center to Wonder Lake is it worth it or just more of the same?

Here is the link for that tour. It started June 5 of this year

https://www.alaskacollection.com/activities/denali-backcountry-adventure/

Since you have been from the Eielson Visitor Center to Wonder Lake is it worth it or just more of the same?

I don't know anything about the private tours. There are a few lodges at the end of the park road and they open before the shuttle buses start up, so there has to be a way to get guests out there .....

I've booked the shuttle to WL with the intent of going that far ONLY if the mtn is visible. But my trips are usually in August and I've had rain on every visit so I stop at Eielson and catch another bus.

I don't see where Wonder Lake is an option for you anyway .... perhaps that Backcounty Tour is available to Kantishna at mile 92, but otherwise the furthest you'll get is Eielson .

p.s. there's a photojournal from jmele999 towards the end of the 2015 reports. He did the Kantishna tour.

Edited by mapleleaves
ps

I don't know anything about the private tours. There are a few lodges at the end of the park road and they open before the shuttle buses start up, so there has to be a way to get guests out there .....

I've booked the shuttle to WL with the intent of going that far ONLY if the mtn is visible. But my trips are usually in August and I've had rain on every visit so I stop at Eielson and catch another bus.

I don't see where Wonder Lake is an option for you anyway .... perhaps that Backcounty Tour is available to Kantishna at mile 92, but otherwise the furthest you'll get is Eielson .

p.s. there's a photojournal from jmele999 towards the end of the 2015 reports. He did the Kantishna tour.

Thanks Mapleleaves you are a wealth of knowledge. I will check out the report from jmele999. Have you ever done the white water or atv tour in Denali

Thanks Mapleleaves you are a wealth of knowledge. I will check out the report from jmele999. Have you ever done the white water or atv tour in Denali

Glad if I helped, but keep in mind that it's just my opinion based on my experiences.

Hopefully others will chime in with theirs.

I can do white water rafting here in WA so I haven't done so in Alaska .

And an ATV tour doesn't appeal to me ---- counterproductive to seeing wildlife.

There are past trip reports that include both activities. The rafting gets great reviews.

We just visited Alaska for the first time in June and booked the 615 am the Wonder Lake bus in Denali. It was nice having plenty of space to stretch out on the way into the park, as most people seem to take the later buses. Eilson seemed like a good place to turn back and maybe we should've done that. The view of Denali from Wonder Lake was nice but we shot our best pictures from Eilson and prior. Once at Wonder Lake, you have to hike a little bit to get to Reflection Point or wherever it is photographers capture the mountain reflected in the lake. You won't get that shot from the Wonder Lake rest stop. We went rafting with Denali Raft Adventures and, with this being our first time attempting such an activity, went with the McKinley Scenic Run. But, we could've totally handled the next level up.

Eilson seemed like a good place to turn back and maybe we should've done that. The view of Denali from Wonder Lake was nice but we shot our best pictures from Eilson and prior. Once at Wonder Lake, you have to hike a little bit to get to Reflection Point or wherever it is photographers capture the mountain reflected in the lake. You won't get that shot from the Wonder Lake rest stop.
This is good to know. We have booked the Wonder Lake Shuttle. If the weather is overcast, we will definitely stay at Eilson and catch another shuttle from there.

I'm a big fan of the shuttle buses. If you're staying at the Princess lodge, there's a Subway sandwich shop pretty much across the road from it. The Subway opens early, and you can get a lunch to take with you.

The only downside of the shuttle buses is if it's been raining a lot and the road's muddy. We took the shuttle once when the road was muddy, and that trip was pretty much a dud. The buses don't have mud flaps, and the windows quickly become coated with mud. At each rest stop, there're buckets with water and squeegees, so you can clean off the windows. Which quickly become coated with mud again. Not so great for viewing, but I'd still take the shuttle again.