Seeking Beach advice

jmcinnc

Hi there, my family of four will be on the adventure of the seas cruise leaving on August 12. Our first port is Saint Thomas on the 13th. Adventure is the only ship in port that day and coming into Crown Bay. We'd like to spend the day at the beach (ship arrives at 9 and leaves at 5). We are looking for a beach that has good snorkeling, food and chair rentals and is a safe place to spend the day. Right now we're considering honeymoon beach on water Island, Sapphire Beach, or going over to trunk Bay on St. John's. We're a little concerned that we would have enough time for St. John's and getting back to our ship in enough time. Any and all advice welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Honeymoon Beach isn't known to be a snorkeling beach, but I saw quite a few fish from the deck of a boat and there are reports of more fish near the rocks that line the side of the beach. Google "Rockydoc" for his comments. I think he lives on Water Island and should know it best.

I like Water Island as a different experience from St Thomas. No traffic. Easy to walk. Gorgeous views if you do walk the road around the island. Clean

I would only go, though, in summer. Season may be too crowded for my taste.

Sapphire Beach would be/ will be our choice in St. Thomas. You have time to go to St. John, but keep in mind you have to taxi to the ferry, take the ferry, taxi to Trunk then repeat in reverse. Trunk is very pretty, so is Cinnamon which is nearby. I just don't know if I would waste so much time on traveling.

And for good snorkeling on STJ you'd want to travel further out to Maho or Waterlemon rather than Trunk, and you'd want a rental or a driver you can rely on. Figure another 2+ hrs of travel time and ~$30pp for good snorkeling on STJ and you have only 7 hrs of time to enjoy.

Another option is a day sail for snorkeling off the cays of STJ with Yacht Nightwind, High Pockets, or another independent operator.

But for off-the-beach snorkeling it's like Bill said, and Sapphire is a great choice.