iPhone

maverade

Thank you for this information! Very helpful! Have never tried this, but will try on my iPhone on the Getaway in a few weeks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please can you tell me if it works for you [emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So how do you use iMessage? Is it an app? Is it something you have to get from the ship? I have an iPhone and I downloaded Iconseriage but I don't know how to use "iMessage".

It's Apple's text messaging app. If a text is sent via iMessage, the bubble is blue. Texts today other phones are green bubbles.

It's Apple's text messaging app. If a text is sent via iMessage, the bubble is blue. Texts today other phones are green bubbles.

I put my i phone on Airplane mode and proceeded to try an message my husband's iPhone. We have wifi and error message came up. "Must disable airplane mode to send a message"

Am I missing something? I went into settings and made sure iMessage was on.

I put my i phone on Airplane mode and proceeded to try an message my husband's iPhone. We have wifi and error message came up. "Must disable airplane mode to send a message"

Am I missing something? I went into settings and made sure iMessage was on.

After you turn on airplane mode, you must turn wifi back on. Then, it should work.

Thanks...I am new to IPhone. So I should turn off my wifi, put it in airplane mode, then turn the wifi back on so it can connect to the ships wifi and simply use my IPhone text messaging. I hope I remember all all this. LOL

Thanks...I am new to IPhone. So I should turn off my wifi, put it in airplane mode, then turn the wifi back on so it can connect to the ships wifi and simply use my IPhone text messaging. I hope I remember all all this. LOL

No, you put it in airplane mode (which turns off the wifi as part of it), then turn wifi back on. You can do this by swiping up on the bottom of your screen and touching the airplane button then touching the wifi button. The whole process takes about 2 seconds.

When you are ready it will look like this:

4da210c935124c8c5d3e61591a4d814e.jpg

BC5EC27A-71DA-45EE-818A-3BF050C7AEBA_zpsglreunrz.png

Edited by LrgPizza

No, you put it in airplane mode (which turns off the wifi as part of it), then turn wifi back on. You can do this by swiping up on the bottom of your screen and touching the airplane button then touching the wifi button. The whole process takes about 2 seconds.

When you are ready it will look like this:

4da210c935124c8c5d3e61591a4d814e.jpg

BC5EC27A-71DA-45EE-818A-3BF050C7AEBA_zpsglreunrz.png

Wow...awesome! Thanks so much. I love visual instructions. :D

We are home and tried this. We left one iphone alone, (i.e. Like a family member at home) and put one iphone on airplane mode and wifi on. (Like us, on the ship) We were able to text message each other but, phone calls went right to voicemail. So , it seems to work exactly as described. We are sailing in 3 weeks and this will be great for keeping in touch with family. :ship::D

Thank you so much!!

Going back and re-reading posts and noticed that many were on the newer, larger NCL ships. (Away class etc) We are sailing on Jewel class ship and since it is older, wondering if this will work as well? Anyone have results to share? (For Pearl, Jade, Jewel etc). Thanks

If I was to use the Norwegian I concierge app...you have to put your iPhone in airplane mode and turn on wifi..is this correct? If so, you are ready to iMessage?

Just got off the Pearl this morning, it works just as the others described.
Perfect, this is exactly what I was wondering. We are on the Pearl next month. Sorry for the rain this morning in Seattle, we really did need it. We have had terrible air quality from BC wildfires. Now we can breathe again.:D

Just got off the Pearl this morning, it works just as the others described.

Josh, does that mean that iMessage works both with other iPhone users on the ship and with iPhone users off ship as well, e.g., back in the states? I'm not clear on whether the architecture is limited to the Wi-Fi network of the NCL ship or if it extends beyond sense we can text on our noncellular iPads to other numbers anywhere when we are on our home network. Thanks for the clarification

Josh, does that mean that iMessage works both with other iPhone users on the ship and with iPhone users off ship as well, e.g., back in the states? I'm not clear on whether the architecture is limited to the Wi-Fi network of the NCL ship or if it extends beyond sense we can text on our noncellular iPads to other numbers anywhere when we are on our home network. Thanks for the clarification

It works for both. The iMessage app has no idea where the receiving person is standing when they get the message.

If you have wifi calling enabled on your cell phone account. You can put the iPhone in airplane mode, turn on wifi, connect to the ship's wifi and you can make and receive phone calls over wifi for no charge. I have Verizon and have wifi calling turned on. There is no extra charge from verizon for this. I have done it many times on many cruises.

When you're doing this (putting the phone in airplane mode and enabling WiFi) and you connect to the ships WiFi, does your phone show something on it other than the normal WiFi bands and airplane?

I am not planning on purchasing any WiFi for this trip but don't want to get hit with any charges either. Is there something to look out for to know if it's safe to use? I always have data roaming off. Should cellular data be off or on?

AHHH...I learned something new today. :)

I did not know this and went back to check on my messages sent and see my daughter's bubbles are blue (iphone) and hubby's are green (Samsung Note4).

:hot-beverage: - Now back to my coffee.

When you're doing this (putting the phone in airplane mode and enabling WiFi) and you connect to the ships WiFi, does your phone show something on it other than the normal WiFi bands and airplane?

I am not planning on purchasing any WiFi for this trip but don't want to get hit with any charges either. Is there something to look out for to know if it's safe to use? I always have data roaming off. Should cellular data be off or on?

Turning on airplane mode turns off all the bad stuff. Don't worry about it. Turning on Wifi lets you connect to wifi. Period. You can't get accidentally charged by the ship for a Wifi package. It doesn't work that way. You can't be charged by your cell provider, because airplane mode is on, so you have no connection to cell or data. You will have your normal little plane icon at the top, and your normal wifi connection symbol at the top. This is waaaay easier than people make it sound.

Turning on airplane mode turns off all the bad stuff. Don't worry about it. Turning on Wifi lets you connect to wifi. Period. You can't get accidentally charged by the ship for a Wifi package. It doesn't work that way. You can't be charged by your cell provider, because airplane mode is on, so you have no connection to cell or data. You will have your normal little plane icon at the top, and your normal wifi connection symbol at the top. This is waaaay easier than people make it sound.
I guess some things sound too good to be true. It's hard to imagine NCL letting our phones connect to their WIFI without having figured a way to charge for it. I just hope they don't figure it all out before we cruise in January. LOL

AHHH...I learned something new today. :)

I did not know this and went back to check on my messages sent and see my daughter's bubbles are blue (iphone) and hubby's are green (Samsung Note4).

:hot-beverage: - Now back to my coffee.

If you have learned something new AND had your coffee, it's bound to be a stellar day. :D

I believe it is waaay eaiser for most but some of us old folks are iPhone challenged...as well as computer😀

So how I see it is as long as I am in airplane mode all is good?

I believe it is waaay eaiser for most but some of us old folks are iPhone challenged...as well as computer😀

So how I see it is as long as I am in airplane mode all is good?

When in Airplane mode, you cell connection for anything (voice, data, text) is not possible. You can not do anything via WIFI either unless you turn the WIFI only back on. You can not connect to the ships wifi unless you enter a login.

As an extra step... you can go under CELLULAR DATA and turn ROAMING OFF. Pick up your phone right now and you will see that option. This is good idea in case you somehow turn airplane mode back on.