SS Card in Mailbox at Check-In

Ohio Bucki

On the ships that use this new system, are the sign and sail cards for Platinum/Diamond guests also placed in the mailbox outside the cabin or do they receive their cards as part of the priority check-in process?

I can't speak for diamond/platinum, but FTTF S&S cards are placed in the mailbox and are there as soon as you embark. I would imagine diamond/platinum is the same way. Everyone else that's not priority gets theirs in their mailbox later in the day when the cabin is ready.

On the ships that use this new system, are the sign and sail cards for Platinum/Diamond guests also placed in the mailbox outside the cabin or do they receive their cards as part of the priority check-in process?

We sailed Splendor in February. We experienced having S&S cards in our mailboxes for the first time.

We are Platinum so our quick check-in and embarkation was even quicker than when we received our S&S cards during check-in.

The system is currently in place on: Carnival Glory

Carnival Sensation

Carnival Victory

Carnival Vista

Carnival Splendor

This coming weekend we it will be on Carnival Freedom with Carnival Valor going live with this on 7/29 followed by Carnival Breeze on 7/30

posted on by John Hearld

Maybe this is a silly question, but I havent been on CC in a while and couldnt find a thread about it when searching.

Which ships have this? I'm headed out on the Conquest in a couple weeks.

Also, how does one make purchases before getting their card?

For what I understand you can use your boarding pass to make a purchase prior to getting your card.

Mail box it is.

So to confirm, if we have the Cheers package and want to get a beverage before we get our card, we show our boarding pass? Is the Cheers package denoted somewhere on the boarding pass?

Yes you use the boarding pass. When the bar staff scans the boarding pass the bar computer will indicate you have the Cheers package. However they won't put the Cheers sticker on your boarding pass and instead you will get the sticker the first time you use your S&S card to get a bar drink.

On the Vista in April, not only where Platinum cards in the mailbox when we got on the ship, but everyone's where...

I know they say they will put them out when they are done with the rooms, but when I went to drop off my stuff ( we are platinum) every room in the hall had their cards. I doubt greatly that every room in my Havana hallway was platinum, diamond or FTTF.

On the Vista in April, not only where Platinum cards in the mailbox when we got on the ship, but everyone's where...

I know they say they will put them out when they are done with the rooms, but when I went to drop off my stuff ( we are platinum) every room in the hall had their cards. I doubt greatly that every room in my Havana hallway was platinum, diamond or FTTF.

Wasn't that way for us in March. We were on Deck 7 in an Extended Aft Havana Balcony and only some of the cards were there. Lots of cabins including Suites torn apart, nowhere near ready.

Another question, They have always used your card to "Ding" you on board. Do they not worry about who gets on the ship? How do this now? Thanks!:confused:

Everything that was done with your S&S card is done with your Boarding Pass until you get it. They scan the barcode with an iPad.

So to confirm, if we have the Cheers package and want to get a beverage before we get our card, we show our boarding pass? Is the Cheers package denoted somewhere on the boarding pass?

If you're cruising out of Texas, you can't use it til' the 2nd day. I think a few other ports might have this rule as well.

So I am going on Breeze in a few weeks, and I know this system will be in place for my cruise. I follow JH on Facebook, and am aware of this change, a little bit uneasy about it, but trusting the system. When I explained the new process to DW, she was very concerned about security. For those of you "in the know" or if you have been on a ship using it, I have two questions.

1) People getting into our cabin before us. Is there any concern? I know if the envelope is torn, obviously report to guest services, but my concern is our luggage/property, or "funshop" purchases that have been delivered to the room, though they might not have arrived yet, right?

2) Is luggage put into the room, or dropped off in the hall? I have had both in the past. Either way, I would imagine there are cameras throughout the corridors, and since the ship is a closed environment, it would be possible to track.

3) (Not a question) Purchases: no concern there, but it seems less convenient to use the boarding pass.

So I am going on Breeze in a few weeks, and I know this system will be in place for my cruise. I follow JH on Facebook, and am aware of this change, a little bit uneasy about it, but trusting the system. When I explained the new process to DW, she was very concerned about security. For those of you "in the know" or if you have been on a ship using it, I have two questions.

1) People getting into our cabin before us. Is there any concern? I know if the envelope is torn, obviously report to guest services, but my concern is our luggage/property, or "funshop" purchases that have been delivered to the room, though they might not have arrived yet, right?

2) Is luggage put into the room, or dropped off in the hall? I have had both in the past. Either way, I would imagine there are cameras throughout the corridors, and since the ship is a closed environment, it would be possible to track.

3) (Not a question) Purchases: no concern there, but it seems less convenient to use the boarding pass.

If someone were to get into your room before you, what would they do? if you didn't order anything ahead of time there would be nothing they could do and when you get a new set of cards, the old cards would be deactivated.

Luggage is usually in the hallway so that is not an issue

If you ordered something from the funshops and the envelope is open or missing, I would hope that they would resend it to you.

You can thank the people that feel entitled to go to the rooms before they are ready (to drop off their luggage)and before they are supposed to for this rule.

No, no concern at all. Like you said, if the envelope is torn or missing, report it.

Luggage is delivered to the outside of the cabin just like before. If yours was put in your cabin, then it's because you had a super nice room steward. That is not SOP. When and how you receive your S&S keys have absolutely no bearing on this. What's keeping people from taking your suitcases the other way?

Thank you OP for posting this and to all of those who answered. We're sailing on the Sensation on Saturday and I was a little unclear as to how all of this works - it's the first time for us to use this procedure. It's good to know that we can still get in and drop off carry-ons right away. We're usually in and out pretty quickly - we like to keep out of the stewards' way when they're crazy busy on embarkation day.

Thank you OP for posting this and to all of those who answered. We're sailing on the Sensation on Saturday and I was a little unclear as to how all of this works - it's the first time for us to use this procedure. It's good to know that we can still get in and drop off carry-ons right away. We're usually in and out pretty quickly - we like to keep out of the stewards' way when they're crazy busy on embarkation day.

Are you Diamond or Platinum or have FTTF? Because if not, then no you can't go to your cabin and drop things off. Your S&S key won't be there. People doing that very thing is one of the reasons why they went to this system. But if you are, then yes. Nothing has really changed for you.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Are you Diamond or Platinum or have FTTF? Because if not, then no you can't go to your cabin and drop things off. Your S&S key won't be there. People doing that very thing is one of the reasons why they went to this system.

Yes, we are Platinum cruisers, and also aggravated by the "rules don't apply to me" mentality that we see onboard from time to time (trying to put that nicely).