First timer, some advice please

Hi all, I am going on my first cruise next year (Sept 18) I just wondered what would give as a "good tip" to someone, something you wished you had known before you had taken your first trip on a ship.

I have one question though, I am booked into an OS on the Navigator of the Seas. Is it hard to get sunbeds around the pool. Do I need to book to see a show ? would you advise having a cash or credit card account for your cabin on board.

Many thanks

1. You can be on the ship in most ports by 11am or so. Arrive around 10 or 10:30 to get on as early as possible.

2. If you have traditional dining, (applies to first night only) wait at least 5-10 minutes after your dinner time starts to head down there. The first night is a MAD house. They direct folks to their seats so just waiting 5 minutes after doors open, it's less crazy.

3. Room service is $7.95 but you can order anything you want for $7.95. There's a bit of a debate on tips because some folks feel it's already included, but if you want to order room service and give a little extra to the delivery person, have dollar bills available. Along the lines of tipping, I didn't know it was customary to tip your shore excursion guide and drivers so we always bring extra cash for that too.

4.Don't use the ship's ATM machine...half the time they don't work or they have very expensive fees.

5. Muster drill...there is a drill right before you depart. You have to be there.

Those were things I did not know.

i've never been on RCL but im only a 3rd timer so i may have that newbie smell still

1 . read this board every day. scan the topics to keep up with things like new policies or new restaurants etc on board.

2. it stinks muster is literally right before you leave port so you have to rush up top to get a nice view of things. plan your route before you get on board.

3. i'm unsure of royals policy but if you have a cash account on board my guess is you have to replenish it after it gets below X amount. i used a CC on NCL and it was easy but make sure you keep on top of it using the app. ive read reports on both lines of mystery charges even if you have the drink package and upon leaving the ship people are charged after the fact for things they didnt buy.

4. study the ship plans. know generally that this is that way and that is this way. you dont need to memorize but i sure did like being familiar with stuff when i got on board. i didnt feel lost.

5. on the ship i was on, i wish someone had told me that tender tickets time didnt matter worth a hill of beans. worried about nothing. they made all people line up.

Hi all, I am going on my first cruise next year (Sept 18) I just wondered what would give as a "good tip" to someone, something you wished you had known before you had taken your first trip on a ship.

I have one question though, I am booked into an OS on the Navigator of the Seas. Is it hard to get sunbeds around the pool. Do I need to book to see a show ? would you advise having a cash or credit card account for your cabin on board.

Many thanks

Since this is your first trip on a ship, you are not sure whether you get seasick or not, plan to bring some over-counter seasick stuffs. One of them is called Bonine, you can get them at most local stores and pharmacy. Better to have them and not need it rather than need it and don't have it.

When I took my wife for the first cruise, didn't know she is prone to motion sickness and she did not know that either, wish that we brought some. Ever since after that first cruise, she always pack them Bonine.

If you feel you need to be right beside the pool, then you need to get there early. "Saving" loungers isn't allowed, but folks do it anyway. If you want more space and a better selection, then go up one deck from the pool. Better views, more space, quieter and more loungers!

I'm still a newbie too, but one thing I learned from our one cruise last year is that you don't need nearly the amount of clothes that they lead you to believe you do. We brought some dress up clothes for the formal nights and soon discovered that we didn't really need the extra dress, shoes, jewellery, jacket, etc. Yes, some folks were decked out to the nines, but most simply looked nice, and some just barely decent. We will take far fewer items this time around, as dragging luggage around before and after cruise was not a pleasant experience. I guess it depends whether you are doing any more travelling before or after.

When you are in the stair/elevator area there will be a diagram on the wall of the ship. Whatever way the ship is "heading" is the front of the ship. Entertainment is usually forward, food is aft. Have a great time and don't sweat the small stuff.

1. You can be on the ship in most ports by 11am or so. Arrive around 10 or 10:30 to get on as early as possible.

2. If you have traditional dining, (applies to first night only) wait at least 5-10 minutes after your dinner time starts to head down there. The first night is a MAD house. They direct folks to their seats so just waiting 5 minutes after doors open, it's less crazy.

3. Room service is $7.95 but you can order anything you want for $7.95. There's a bit of a debate on tips because some folks feel it's already included, but if you want to order room service and give a little extra to the delivery person, have dollar bills available. Along the lines of tipping, I didn't know it was customary to tip your shore excursion guide and drivers so we always bring extra cash for that too.

quote]

I thought OP said she was in OS. Would your answers apply to her?

The medical facility on the ship has a free supply of sea sick pills and band-aids etc.

You are allowed 2 bottle of wine per cabin to be brought onboard. Pack these in your carry-on luggage.

Most luggage will fit under the bed to save space in your cabin.

Bring your patience.

quote]

I thought OP said she was in OS. Would your answers apply to her?

I believe so EXCEPT for room service. Is an owner suite considered a grand suite? If so, free room service. Thanks for catching that about the OS.

As for #1, they will have priority boarding, but my point was on my first cruise, I didn't think I could arrive until later so as a first timer, it would be awesome to know I can arrive and board as early as 11am.

We love the wrist sea bands and were surprised to see they really do work. Ditto to what others said on the packing. We find we end up wearing the same stuff around the pool and I never wear the jewelry I bring. Most important is research, research research. Find those nooks and cool spots in the ship you can retreat to for some relaxation time. We do a top to bottom ship tour the first day. Definitely use a credit card for your onboard account, it is so much easier! Another must do is the Chef's Table if you enjoy food and wine. It was an amazing dining experience! I find that after several cruises we stopped trying to "do everything" and take the time for the simple things like a bottle of champagne on the balcony watching the sunset.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

4.Don't use the ship's ATM machine...half the time they don't work or they have very expensive fees.

5. Muster drill...there is a drill right before you depart. You have to be there.

Those were things I did not know.

Many thanks

Since this is your first trip on a ship, you are not sure whether you get seasick or not, plan to bring some over-counter seasick stuffs. One of them is called Bonine, you can get them at most local stores and pharmacy. Better to have them and not need it rather than need it and don't have it.

When I took my wife for the first cruise, didn't know she is prone to motion sickness and she did not know that either, wish that we brought some. Ever since after that first cruise, she always pack them Bonine.

Thanks for that, I am prone to motion sickness so thats a great bit of advice

Thanks for all the tips, I will keep checking and doing my research. Cruise is a bit off, but I am OCD when it comes to arranging things and like as much time as possible to sort myself out. I will not get stressed .

If your doctor will give you nausea medicine, it works great.

You get to have breakfast in one of the restaurants, usually Chops.

If you get Nadja for your concierge, she was wonderful. She treated everyone in the CL the same. She was attentive to all.

Remember if you have any issues at all, she is the one to speak with.

She handled one small issue for me and was surprised and appreciative of my tip to her.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for that, I am prone to motion sickness so thats a great bit of advice

If you want a more natural help so you don't feel drugged, I've heard Ginger is good. Ginger Ale, ginger snaps, ginger pills.

Also, people are rude.... just let that sort of stuff roll off your back...

ENJOY!!!

re: rude. so thats universal eh? that sucks. besides one total AH i didnt really see much of that last cruise thankfully. i did see lotta weird. one burly guy we saw at least 3 x in the elevator and he would be riding up and down saying is this my floor? i think ill just keep riding.

but definitely keep on your guard at elevators. you will have people dive bomb into them before a soul gets out. it's super bad after shows and muster.

Regarding the muster drill, the bars close down before the drill and don't open for a while after. get a drink before the drill. We couldn't even get a bottle of water and I was so thirsty. I would have paid $30 for a bottle of water, lol. Next time, I'm getting a bottle of water before the muster drill. It was torture seeing every one else drinking various drinks while my throat was so parched ( in part a reaction to my seasickness meds).

The medical facility on the ship has a free supply of sea sick pills and band-aids etc.

You are allowed 2 bottle of wine per cabin to be brought onboard. Pack these in your carry-on luggage.

Most luggage will fit under the bed to save space in your cabin.

Bring your patience.

You can get sea sickness tablets at guest services as well.

I believe so EXCEPT for room service. Is an owner suite considered a grand suite? If so, free room service. Thanks for catching that about the OS.

As for #1, they will have priority boarding, but my point was on my first cruise, I didn't think I could arrive until later so as a first timer, it would be awesome to know I can arrive and board as early as 11am.

Owners suite is above a grand suite.