Solar Eclipse Viewing Glasses

I am on the Oasis for the total eclipse on 8/21/17. Do you think that Royal will provide the viewing glasses on board or should I order from Amazon before I go?:cool:

I would take my own that way you won't be disappointed if they don't have. Walmarts and Lowes have in stock as well and I have seen a commemorative book that comes with glasses as well.

Unless you have a very STRONG sun filter, you should NOT look directly at the sun, even during the eclipse!

Uh, they are talking about specific glasses to look at the eclipse. So you know that they exist.

So it's safe.

During full totality, and only during full totality, it is completely safe to look at the eclipse without filters. In fact, if you don't you would be missing a truly spectacular sight.

Where one needs to be particularly careful is if any kind of optical equipment is being used such as binoculars. With the naked eye a brief glance at the sun isn't going to cause serious harm, after all, who hasn't taken a brief glance at the sun. Such is not the case if binoculars or a telescope is being used, even a brief exposure to the bright sun can cause serious damage.

To summarize, during the partial phases before and after totality always use a filter when viewing the sun whether naked eye or with an optical device. During the two plus minutes of full totality no filter is necessary in either case, but be careful to have filters in place as totality ends. Also, make sure the filters are specifically designed for solar viewing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are on the previous sailing (8/13) but will be viewing the eclipse on the day after we get back to PC and so just ordered some solar eclipse glasses. I was going to just order some off Amazon that were highly rated, but then it occurred to me to do a little more research - after all, how do you know that the glasses advertised on there are actually certified to be safe and not cheaply made junk from China?

I found that, according to the American Astronomical Society (a partner of NASA), there are only 5 companies who have certified that their eclipse glasses meet the international standard:

https://eclipse.aas.org/eye-safety/iso-certification

I ordered ours from one of the 5 on the list. Not sure if it'll make any difference or not, but I'm not about to take chances with my family's eyesight.

For anyone interested, NASA has a page on eclipse viewing safety, including things to watch out for w/eclipse glasses:

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

• 4 weeks later...