Beverage Package Service Charge? (Pre-Cruise)

So either my memory is bad - or Royal Caribbean has added a new charge - before I even get on board!

I logged on to purchase a Coffee Card (listed as $31). Go to checkout and the price is now $36.58 including a Service charge of $5.58.

Is this new?

And why would I pay that? I'll wait for on board if this is their newest nickel and dime scheme..

Interesting...

Thanks for the info.

So then my beef is why is it not listed as gratuity?

I guess my initial reaction was this was like a Ticketmaster fee supposedly added so they can provide the convenience of online sales.

Interesting...

Thanks for the info.

So then my beef is why is it not listed as gratuity?

What's the difference, you have to pay no matter what it's called. I probably used the wrong term, so let's call it a service charge.

It matters because a gratuity is pretty self explanatory - a service charge means "we raised our rates via a form of bait and switch."

You will pay 18% gratuity on most of the things on board. Why do you care what the label is?

If you object so much, don't buy the coffee card. Don't buy drinks. Don't buy ice cream. Don't buy anything. Then you won't pay it.

Good grief - testy folks here (and yeah - I've been on CC long enough I guess I should expect it).

I am asking because I don't recall paying a service charge on previous online orders (that's the "maybe I've forgotten part").

A gratuity I have no issue with. This makes sense.

But a service charge is an innocuous label that could mean anything (including an end around to a price hike). Given the prices are listed as $31 then you add the fee - it's a bit misleading.

As I mentioned earlier, my mind initially went to a Ticketmaster type fee. A fee they throw in that loads up the cost of your purchase because they are doing you the favor of allowing you to buy tickets online (really - that's how they explain it). Given how wonderful the RCI website works, an added service charge for online purchases would be one I'd choose not to pay.

Good grief - testy folks here (and yeah - I've been on CC long enough I guess I should expect it).

I am asking because I don't recall paying a service charge on previous online orders (that's the "maybe I've forgotten part").

But a service charge is an innocuous label that could mean anything (including an end around to a price hike). Given the prices are listed as $31 then you add the fee - it's a bit misleading.

As I mentioned earlier, my mind initially went to a Ticketmaster type fee. A fee they throw in that loads up the cost of your purchase because they are doing you the favor of allowing you to buy tickets online (really - that's how they explain it). Given how wonderful the RCI website works, an added service charge for online purchases would be one I'd choose not to pay.

It will still be labeled as service charge if u buy coffee card physically onboard. I would rather bitch and moan when the coffee I buy with that card is not made to order.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

You didn't seem to like the correct answers given to you.

You didn't seem to like the correct answers given to you.

I never had a problem with anyone's answers. My only problem was with Royal not labeling the fee accurately. How many of us have been dinged with the phantom "service fee" at the end of cruises? I want to be aware of what I am paying.

I never had a problem with anyone's answers. My only problem was with Royal not labeling the fee accurately. How many of us have been dinged with the phantom "service fee" at the end of cruises? I want to be aware of what I am paying.

I have never heard of that happening. What are you talking about?

If you read the additional term and conditions you would have been informed that the 18% gratuity is not included in the listed price. I have learned to always read the additional terms and conditions. :)

Yeah, I missed that. Although I did briefly look for something of that sort.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

I have to agree with

euphscott. I wanted to purchase the deluxe + Voom for myself only & then refreshment package for my wife as she doesn't drink much. Online I couldn't do that so I called and they accommodated very well. On the phone they said what the cost would be but didn't mention service charge. When I went out to cruise planner, I saw the 'service charge' and blood pressure rose. Realized after looking at posts here that it wasn't service charge but prepaid 18% gratuity and blood pressure dropped. Totally understood prepaid gratuity. Heck I give minimum 25% at the bars (not rich but I know how tips are important). Means I'll probably flip a buck on each drink I get.

Anyway, I understand totally where euphscott(and others) are coming from.

I am wondering if all the automatic gratuities, including the daily tips, are going to be changed to a service charge and that it would be non-removable. This could be the beginning of that as a service charge indicates you are paying for a service, not tipping for it.

I'd love to see all the gratuities become service charges and as such, have everyone pay instead of allowing the removal of the tips by those with the excuses.

These are just my opinion, but it works for me.

I am wondering if all the automatic gratuities, including the daily tips, are going to be changed to a service charge and that it would be non-removable. This could be the beginning of that as a service charge indicates you are paying for a service, not tipping for it.

I'd love to see all the gratuities become service charges and as such, have everyone pay instead of allowing the removal of the tips by those with the excuses.

These are just my opinion, but it works for me.

I agree for the most part with what you wrote.

I also think that it will prompt many (angry) discussions about this being a way to get people to tip on top of the "service charge."