To bring or not bring collapsable wagon to the Dream? | Advice on going to the beach

Topheriscruisin

I know this is a crazy question, but I was wondering if anyone has brought or seen people bring one of those collapsable wagons you can get from Costco?

My parents, sister, husband, and 2 year old will be taking our first cruise ever with the Dream. Because my son is not potty-trained and we have a big party, I wondered if it would make sense to bring our wagon. Would it be too much of a hassle?

Can anyone give me any insight as to navigating around Nassau and Castaway Cay? Is there a lot of walking between shops and restaurants? Does it feel crowded? Would bringing a wagon rude?

Some other facts: we're driving to the port, we have two staterooms so we have some extra room, we'll probably going to hang out by the beach for the most part -- not too many excursions.

Any insight would help! Thank you in advance!

- Topheriscruisin

There are wagons available as you exit the ship--first come, first serve. There are LOTS of them, but there are lots of people on the Dream too. There are also strollers that can be borrowed from Guest Services--they put a charge on your KTTW card and remove the charge when you return the stroller. Not sure how DCL would handle the wagon as technically wagons are on the list of things not allowed on the ship.

Walking around Castaway--as little or much as you wish. You can ride the tram to the beach area, making it a much shorter walk....or you can get a wagon and it is about a 15 minute walk to the beach. Nassau--I'd stay on board and enjoy the ship, but that's me...and I've been to Nassau. The shops are all along one main street and extend for a couple blocks. Keep your kids close! You'll be accosted by people wanting to braid hair, reaching out and touching them, etc. if they possibly can. If you are doing hair braiding, do it on the ship where it is safe, sanitary, and not a total rip off.

if there's a flight... I think a collapsible stroller is more practical and lighter than a wagon.

OP said that they are driving. However, I'm not sure of your logic. A stroller flies free. I've never seen an airline statement that a wagon flies free.

The list of prohibited items includes the below. Whether DCL would consider a wagon to be a "transport device" is not clear. Personally, I think you'd find it rather cumbersome in the narrow hallways and on the small elevators. And on Castaway Cay I would think the skinny tires would tend to bog down in the sand.

• Wheeled transport devices other than those required by Guests with disabilities

You said you have a large party...simply have everyone carry something! The sun is so intense, you probably won't need THAT much stuff for a few hours...you'll be burnt to a crisp if you are in the sun too long!

This is from the current DCL web site. As you can see, it specifically says "Wagons." The above quoted line about wheeled transportation is there also, but they failed to not a few lines above where it does say "wagons." Thus, it is moot whether a wagon is considered a "wheeled transport." As you can see, many of the items that guests are not permitted to bring on board can be obtained from DCL or tour vendors, either complimentary or for a fee.

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment for all Guests and crew, the following items are prohibited on board Disney Cruise Line ships. If found, the items listed, and anything similar, will be held in storage for the duration of the cruise. We thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Items prohibited on board ship and on Castaway Cay.

• Firearms, ammunition, knives (including dive knives), swords, daggers and any other types of weapons
  • Toy guns or other replicas of firearms and weapons
  • Highly flammable liquids and combustible substances
  • Liquid oxygen
  • Non-prescribed controlled substances, illegal drugs, medically prescribed and synthetic marijuana
  • Hookah pipes
  • Power tools and toolboxes (except those utilized by vendors providing services)
  • Potentially dangerous sporting equipment, including baseball and cricket bats, hockey and lacrosse sticks, pool cues, ski poles, fishing gear and archery equipment. (Golf clubs are permitted as long as they are stored inside your stateroom.)
  • Scuba equipment such as tanks, spears, spear guns, slings, dive knives, pry bars, and underwater scooters. (Masks and snorkels are allowed)
  • Remote-controlled helicopters, airplanes, drones or similar devices
  • Kites, balloons, surfboards, wave boards, inflatable floats, pool noodles, inflatable pools and wagons
  • Bicycles, scooters, skateboards, hoverboards, inline & roller skates, any footwear with wheels (i.e. Heely’s type shoes) and Segways, or other wheeled mobility devices with less than 3 wheels and devices that cannot maintain stability and balance when stopped, unpowered or unoccupied. Training wheels or similar modifications are not permitted.
  • Wheeled transport devices other than those required by Guests with disabilities
  • Electrical appliances such as rice cookers, hot plates, coffee makers, blenders, electric irons, electric blankets, heating pads, bottle sterilizers and warmers
    • Please note: A limited number of approved bottle warmers and bottle sterilizers are available upon request through Guest Services
    • All ships offer self-service laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Portable fans are permitted in your stateroom. However, you must contact Guest Services to have the Chief Electrician approve your fan.

[*]Candles and incense

[*]DVD, VCR, and Blu-ray players

[*]Gaming systems such as Playstation®, Xbox and Nintendo Wii (due to compatibility issues with the stateroom TVs)

[*]Musical instruments

[*]Ice chests and coolers, except for those permitted for storing medications, baby food and items related to dietary restrictions

[*]Homemade, precooked or perishable foods or open food containers. Also, please refer to our guidelines on restricted food and beverages

[*]Over-the-door hanging organizers

[*]Metal detectors

[*]Fireworks or pyrotechnics

[*]Seasonal and/or celebratory light bulb strings

[*]Extension cords or surge protectors

[*]Ham radios