Venice

Csardas

Has anyone used the People Mover? I was thinking about it and a day vaporetto ticket so we can cruise up and down the Grand Canal again, rather than the Cunard transfer boat.

You'll get a much better response on the Italy ports forum, and a search on there will give all the answers!

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=595#

Stuart

Thanks!

We've never visited Venice from a cruise ship before so the people mover will be a new experience. I suppose distance to it will depend on berth and that could change every time Cunard is there!

We plan to make the most of our day and cherry pick our favourites to re-visit and thought a day vaporetto ticket would allow the feet a rest and the joy of up and down the Grand Canal - something we always do.The combination of the two works out a whole 2 euros each cheaper than the Cunard transfer- at least that's a contribution to Florian's music charge!

When we were in Venice about 4 weeks ago now we were going to use the People Mover. I'd looked it up before we went and it looked ideal. You could see it from our cabin but it was about a 10-15 minute walk (same as the walk to the Cunard transfer). However, I just decided to pay for the Cunard transfer instead as I could not be bothered to use the People Mover and wanted the simplest option.

Now I've returned and read more about it, it's seems pretty much useless to me. It only takes you about 1.5km and then, as you say (which I did not know at the time), you then need to get a ticket for the bus.

It seems pretty poor to me and the Cunard transfer seems by far the best option. And if you say it's only 2 Euros cheaper, I know which option I'd be selecting !

The Cunard transfer is useful if all you want to do is get to St Mark's Square but the People Mover gets to Piazzale Roma where there is a much greater choice of boat routes.

We used it to get the Murano vaporetto.

We have also used the Cunard transfer one way and then walked back to the ship.

A 24hr vaparetto ticket is usually the same price as the return transfer so it's much better value if you are going to see several areas.

Of course the vaparetto is the most economical way to see the full length of the Grand Canal so I do that trip on every visit if I can.

Edited by Host Hattie

The Cunard transfer is useful if all you want to do is get to St Mark's Square but the People Mover gets to Piazzale Roma where there is a much greater choice of boat routes.

We used it to get the Murano vaporetto.

We have also used the Cunard transfer one way and then walked back to the ship.

A 24hr vaparetto ticket is usually the same price as the return transfer so it's much better value if you are going to see several areas.

Of course the vaparetto is the most economical way to see the full length of the Grand Canal so I do that trip on every visit if I can.

As you say Hattie the Cunard transfer simply drops you off near to San Marco, which is not somewhere I would want to stay very long at. You either love being in massed crowds, or like me take one look and head back to the Vaporetto stop. The People Mover gives access to Piazzale Roma where you can get the Vaporetto to anywhere. In our case, once, Burrano, an island of calm indeed.

David

As you say Hattie the Cunard transfer simply drops you off near to San Marco, which is not somewhere I would want to stay very long at. You either love being in massed crowds, or like me take one look and head back to the Vaporetto stop. The People Mover gives access to Piazzale Roma where you can get the Vaporetto to anywhere. In our case, once, Burrano, an island of calm indeed.

David

Agree. Do not let St. Marco be your "destination" to go see and return to the ship. What a huge wasted opportunity that would be. I vote for the people mover and Vaporetto to explore all of Venice. Not sure of your walking abilities, but another option is to walk one of the ways, from St. Marco to Pl. Roma or visa versa. Very enjoyable to see the back canals of Venice. I recall it takes about an hour but plan on a couple.