Port Canaveral-Radisson or Country Inn/Suites

dcruisers

We are 4 couples trying to chose between Radisson at the Port or Country Inn abs Suites. We are flying in so no need for Park and cruise package. Radisson offers shuttle from airport for a fee-no problem- and to port.

Country Inn offers free breakfast but nothing about offering airport shuttle for a fee. We would also be interested in info on a private shuttle service for our group of 8.

So-I am looking to fellow cruisers for input on their experience with either hotel and shuttle services.

We will be sailing in January on the Carnival Magic.

As always.....Appreciate the help.

I think the Country Inn has newer, nicer rooms. Radisson has a very nice pool area.

Thank you ...

We were leaning towards Country Inn with free breakfast but Radisson has a restaurant / lounge- for dinner.

Are there restaurants within walking distance to Country Inn?

I appreiate it!

It is about 1/2 mile to Kelsey's and Preacher's. There is a sidewalk. I would recommend going to the port about a mile away... lots of good choices there. Grills and Fishlips are at the top of my list. There is really no good way to walk so either taxi or rent a car or two. If you are flying in you should consider doing that. Many times it doesn't cost more than a shuttle from the airport and you have flexibility and all the rent a car companies will shuttle you to the ship. I wouldn't want to eat in the restaurant at the Radisson. Very average hotel food.

opps.. forgot Zarrellas. We order their pizza delivered. That is a bit closer. You'll be missing out if you don't go to the port to eat though. Good food, good music. Fun to eat on the water.

Just up the road in the port there's Grills and Fishlips. The other way down the street there is Thai Thai (great thai and sushi). You'd probably need to Uber or taxi to get to these, but in Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach there's Papa Vito's for pizza, Coaster's Taphouse, and we really love Longdoggers.

Closer to you as mentioned is Preacher Bar and Kelsey's which are ok.

Thank you for the info!

One more question please.. Are there restaurants close to the Radisson- if we chose it- so we wouldn't have to eat there?

I've been researching hotels in this area also, for our cruise in December. According to google maps, the Radisson is directly behind Preachers and kelseys, as well as close to a McDonalds and a Subway.

That is correct. The Country Inn and Suites is 9009 Astronaut Blvd... The Radisson is 8701. Three blocks from each other with Country Inn being the closest to the port and Radisson being closest to restaurants. So the same restaurants are all within walking distance.

Have you considered renting cars rather than using shuttle to get you to Cape Canaveral? It is an easy drive.. all limited access. Four couples.. two cars and then your choices are unlimited. Plus then you can easily shop for those things you forgot to bring with you and check out the area. Rental cars are usually very affordable and all agencies shuttle you to the port when you drop off the car. I hate to see you have dinner anyplace other than the Cove area at the Port. All the other restaurants mentioned are good but they are not unique to this area. This is Grills in the Cove at the port which will be right on top of where Oasis docks.

http://www.grillsseafood.com/new-waterfront-deck-grills-seafood-restaurant-port-canaveral-florida/

That first picture you see on that link has a ship in the background. That is where Oasis will be docked. If you do stick with shuttles to the Cape it is worth the small amount of money to take a taxi to the cove a mile away. I grew up here and I'm back now I'm retired, living here again, and I never get tired of the special places to eat at the port.

Edited by hithere
left something out

That is correct. The Country Inn and Suites is 9009 Astronaut Blvd... The Radisson is 8701. Three blocks from each other with Country Inn being the closest to the port and Radisson being closest to restaurants. So the same restaurants are all within walking distance.

Have you considered renting cars rather than using shuttle to get you to Cape Canaveral? It is an easy drive.. all limited access. Four couples.. two cars and then your choices are unlimited. Plus then you can easily shop for those things you forgot to bring with you and check out the area. Rental cars are usually very affordable and all agencies shuttle you to the port when you drop off the car. I hate to see you have dinner anyplace other than the Cove area at the Port. All the other restaurants mentioned are good but they are not unique to this area. This is Grills in the Cove at the port which will be right on top of where Oasis docks.

http://www.grillsseafood.com/new-waterfront-deck-grills-seafood-restaurant-port-canaveral-florida/

That first picture you see on that link has a ship in the background. That is where Oasis will be docked. If you do stick with shuttles to the Cape it is worth the small amount of money to take a taxi to the cove a mile away. I grew up here and I'm back now I'm retired, living here again, and I never get tired of the special places to eat at the port.

Thank you so much for the great information and pictures.

We will definitely have to all 8 of us together and decide what to do.

Grills look like a great place to eat and would be worth taking a taxi.

We have stayed at the Radisson many times over many years. I think we stayed down in Cocoa Beach once when we booked late and most everything near the port was sold out. We have never been disappointed with our room at the Radisson and we like the pool area and the bar (serves food as well). We like Grills a lot but many prefer Fishlips. You can go the day before you cruise in the early evening and watch that day's ships leave. Lots of fun and always a band or two for entertainment. Our tradition had always been to walk across the street to McDonald's on cruise morning for a quick and cheap breakfast but now that Grills is serving breakfast (excellent) we go over there. Radisson does have a shuttle but even though it is free we have never used it. They take reservations and it is tough to get the time you want and we just don't like the hustle/bustle. We call a local cab company the evening before and schedule a pick up at around 10:00 or so. With a large group it is is really economical - they will send a van which will have plenty of room. You will be on your own schedule and get private service. As others have posted, a car rental is worth checking out. Last cruise we rented a car for under $30 total, picked up at the airport and returned in Port Canaveral. You are then able to go down to Cocoa and do the obligatory Ron Jon visit, go to Grills, and generally do as you please. When you turn the car in you will get a free shuttle to the port. You can, of course, do this from either hotel but we cast our vote for Raddison.

We have stayed at the Radisson many times over many years. I think we stayed down in Cocoa Beach once when we booked late and most everything near the port was sold out. We have never been disappointed with our room at the Radisson and we like the pool area and the bar (serves food as well). We like Grills a lot but many prefer Fishlips. You can go the day before you cruise in the early evening and watch that day's ships leave. Lots of fun and always a band or two for entertainment. Our tradition had always been to walk across the street to McDonald's on cruise morning for a quick and cheap breakfast but now that Grills is serving breakfast (excellent) we go over there. Radisson does have a shuttle but even though it is free we have never used it. They take reservations and it is tough to get the time you want and we just don't like the hustle/bustle. We call a local cab company the evening before and schedule a pick up at around 10:00 or so. With a large group it is is really economical - they will send a van which will have plenty of room. You will be on your own schedule and get private service. As others have posted, a car rental is worth checking out. Last cruise we rented a car for under $30 total, picked up at the airport and returned in Port Canaveral. You are then able to go down to Cocoa and do the obligatory Ron Jon visit, go to Grills, and generally do as you please. When you turn the car in you will get a free shuttle to the port. You can, of course, do this from either hotel but we cast our vote for Raddison.

I totally agree about the Radisson. It was great and the free breakfast was awesome.

Carnival Liberty December 2017

Carnival Liberty December 2016

We've stayed at both - pool and tiki bar definitely a plus at the Radisson. Country Inn is a great location - nice smaller pool area - we did BYOB at the fire pit after dinner! Both have decent rooms and breakfast - I think Radisson charged for breakfast where Country Inn did not.

We usually rent a car and we definitely have dinner at the port... Don't forget Baja Chowder & Seafood - great oysters, drinks & staff :) Country Inn front desk will give you discount coupons for dinner to all the waterfront restaurants. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last cruise we rented a car for under $30 total, picked up at the airport and returned in Port Canaveral.

We are looking to rent a car and haven't seen anything close to $30. Did this include some type of discount, frequent mileage points, etc? Curious if I'm searching for something rare to find.

Thanks

We are looking to rent a car and haven't seen anything close to $30. Did this include some type of discount, frequent mileage points, etc? Curious if I'm searching for something rare to find.

Thanks

We booked with Thrifty one way to PC from Orlando last August. We used the guarantee "economy or larger". I have done this a lot on business trips with Thrifty and Dollar and have always gotten an intermediate or mid sized car. Once I got a Cherokee in NJ. If you need a specific size, the price will be higher depending on what you need. Once we had a party of 8 and it was cheaper to get 2 cars than one big one. We currently have Thrifty booked in Galveston in two weeks for pick up and return to Hobby for $24 for one day. I start shopping early and check often. I usually use the travel sites to browse and then go to the vendor site to compare. Sometimes the "add a car" on the airline sites have good deals. I love to save a $.

IMO, it's six of one , half a dozen of the other. Go with the best room rate.

Biggest difference I see is that CI&S is all indoors with indoor entrances to rooms while the Radission has several buildings and outside entrances.

As others have stated, lots of restaurants around. Zachary's and Kelsey are good and popular. Zachary's ahs breakfast if you find the free ones not to your liking. Preachers is more of a bar with bar food but good hamburgers and an interesting motif. We like Thai Thai Sushi, across from the Radisson, for something different than grouper. The restaurants up by the ship channel offer a variety of choices too with nice views if you sit outside. And Florida Brewing is across the main drag from the hotels with a good craft beer bar.

Is Ron Jon's store still there? I know the resort changed hands.

Well- with our TA we have now actually decided on the Hilton Cocoa Beach- so much cheaper!

We also have booked Ace Luxury Transportation from airport to hotel and return from ship back to airport for our group of 8 for cheaper than ship transfers and it's a private van.

I appreciate all the information and input.

If anyone has any experience with this Hilton property, please pass Ali g any information.

Thank you

Encountering one way drop fees a lot more than we used to for pre and post cruise rentals - what starts out as $30 goes up quick with all the fees and taxes!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Margie, you are correct in that you have to watch out for the extra fees. We found that in Orlando, there were no extra one way fees for our rental. I suppose this is because they have a high demand for one way rentals both to and from the port so they do not have to shuttle the cars. In Galveston this was not the case so we are dropping of at the airport and using a shuttle. Again, timing is everything and there are not always to low priced deals. It looks like the OP has decided on a hotel and shuttle but maybe the info will help someone. We learned a lot over the years (and still do) from these posts.

Congratulations on being and Air Force Mom. As you can see in our signature, we are proud Army parents.

Well- with our TA we have now actually decided on the Hilton Cocoa Beach- so much cheaper!

We also have booked Ace Luxury Transportation from airport to hotel and return from ship back to airport for our group of 8 for cheaper than ship transfers and it's a private van.

I appreciate all the information and input.

If anyone has any experience with this Hilton property, please pass Ali g any information.

Thank you

Have you confirmed your transfer to the port time? We are the type of people who get on the ship at the first possible moment. In 2015 people in our roll call stayed at that Hilton and loved it, but what ever transportation company they used couldn't get them till 12:30. We had eaten lunch and were in the pool with drinks by then!

Have you confirmed your transfer to the port time? We are the type of people who get on the ship at the first possible moment. In 2015 people in our roll call stayed at that Hilton and loved it, but what ever transportation company they used couldn't get them till 12:30. We had eaten lunch and were in the pool with drinks by then!

There are 2 shuttle times 10:30 and 12:30. Our TA who booked it through a company she uses for hotels will call to pre arrange the 10:30 shuttle. We don't have FTTF because it's sold out so our selected time on board is 11:30.