Solo Cruising

Has anyone out there cruised by themselves ? I'm going on the Oasis Aug.27th. solo for the first time. Have read the solo cruiser info on here but still looking for more info from others. I have cruised for 35 years with family and friends but never solo. Most interested about the dinner time that worked best for those that have soloed . Thanks for any input in advance.

Joe from GA. :cool:

Has anyone out there cruised by themselves ? I'm going on the Oasis Aug.27th. solo for the first time. Have read the solo cruiser info on here but still looking for more info from others. I have cruised for 35 years with family and friends but never solo. Most interested about the dinner time that worked best for those that have soloed . Thanks for any input in advance.

Joe from GA. :cool:

I'd opt for traditional (fixed) dining at a large table.

I like My Time Dining. I'm able to dine with a group of friends I might make, or alone when I want, at a time of my choice. I might also choose specialty dining or just a hot dog. Of course the Windjammer is always an option, but usually not one I choose. The only disadvantage I see to MTD is having to wait a few minutes or not always getting my first choice of times.

I have been cruising solo for three years. Prefer traditional dining, large table, and have met many nice people by doing that. Also, if time permits, going to the MDR for lunch and breakfast - easier than trying to juggle food and a place to sit in the Windjammer. If I do go to the Windjammer, I usually ask someone to watch my food/drink while I go back to the buffet - otherwise find table gets cleared!

Join your meet and mingle - had great success meeting people staying at the same hotel the night before the cruise.

Participate in trivia (if you enjoy). Search out things to do both in the cruise compass and often posted on the board by fellow passengers near guest services.

I've cruised solo 21 times now and have tried all sorts of dining combinations. I usually asked to be seated at a table of 6 or 8 but usually end up at something larger. The good part about that is that you'll normally be seated with people from different parts of the world and it makes for good conversation. The bad part is if you're the only one seated in a large party of family or friends, then you can feel left out (I change my table right away).

A couple of times I was seated at a large table of only solo cruisers and that was great. That hasn't happened for a while though.

Once I was seated at a table for 4 and the couple I was with were honeymooners and preferred to be alone. I sat alone for the rest of the cruise (no big deal - I read a book). I had a number of other tables feel sorry for me and ask me to join them, but I was pretty content by myself.

I did mytime dining on the last one and sat by myself for 9 days. Again, that was fine as I read, and I was usually able to be in and out of the dining room in 30-40 minutes, as compared to the hour and a half when you sit at a large table.

One thing about a large table is that not everyone shows every night as they're off at a specialty restaurant, so it's usually a lot more intimate than it might seem. I've been on cruises where you didn't see most of the other dinners at the table until day 5 of the 7 nights.

The thing is, you can have it any way you like. If you don't like something, just speak up and you'll be changed to something you like better.

I've cruised twice by myself. The first time, I sat at a table for 4, and we were all single ladies. We had a blast. The second time, I was at a table for 4 with a very young couple. After day 1 they left to sit with another couple. I felt bad at first, but decided to ask another table if I could join them, and we had a lovely time. I've never eaten at a large table. That might be a good idea too. If you're not happy, definitely make a change.

I have taken 30 cruises and 24 are solo. I love not having anyone to wait for, to answer to, spend time coordinating schedules, etc.

I always do MDR, the earliest time. I ask for a large table. I have met several couples and solos who we have scheduled cruises together again.

You can get a table where you just don't fit in, you can change your table.

I usually eat at a specialty restaurant 1 or 2 nights and very seldom eat at the buffet.

Same with the shows, most of the time I am invited to go with a couple from the MDR.

Candie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk