Overlord Tour

Ecuador

How long does it typically take Overlord to reply? Two people in our group have reached out and have not heard back. The first was about a week ago.

I have emailed them a few times and heard back within hours each time. When is your group going?

If you are going to be in Normandy during the 75th Anniversary he will have the C-47 their. I was told they expect to have over 25 of C47 flying that week. It should be the largest gathering of C47 since the invasion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If anyone on June 13 HA Zuiderdam cruise has space for 2 on a D-Day full day tour, Thurs, June 18, 2018, or from Cherbourg, June 19. please email us. Looks like many tour operators want payment in advance, which is risky. We would prefer to pay cash at time of tour.

smlanita@aol.com

Lanita (Cordelia)

If anyone on June 13 HA Zuiderdam cruise has space for 2 on a D-Day full day tour, Thurs, June 18, 2018, or from Cherbourg, June 19. please email us. Looks like many tour operators want payment in advance, which is risky. We would prefer to pay cash at time of tour.

smlanita@aol.com

Lanita (Cordelia)

You're better off asking in your roll call for this.

You're better off asking in your roll call for this.

On my first visit to Normandy I refused to pay up front and was forced to take the tour on my own. Big mistake!

I would suggest to pay the fee and get it over. They get lots of request from families to visit certain parts of Normandy and have no problem filling up the tours.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...

I also used Overlord to visit Normandy when we spent a few weeks in Paris about 8 years ago. Took the train for a day trip with my 2 teenagers ( son, 13 and daughter, 16 ). Our guide met us at the train station. The Normandy beaches and the American Cemetery are something every American should visit. My son ( 13 at the time) told me that the cemetery was " the most powerful place place he had ever been". This from a tech wizard who had not even wanted to go. My daughter (16) picked up a few pebbles from the beach, without my knowledge, because she "wanted to remember this place forever". Those 3 pebbles sit on my mantel to this day. Our guide was local and lived in Normandy and took us to many out of the way spots with back stories of what happened there during the war. He was absolutely phenomenal...years later when we look back at those weeks in Paris this day trip to Normandy was the highlight....and we were in Paris on Bastille Day! You will not be disappointed.

We were a group of 8 and 3 years ago we used Trevor Standefer of American D-Day tours. We were docked in Cherbourg, making the journey to St. Mere Eglese, Pont du Hoc and the Omaha beaches and the American Cemetery. He was so passionate in his narration, you felt as though you were there with the troops when they landed. We ordered a picnic lunch in advance in order to see as much as possible.

I believe the group leader sent him a check as a deposit which he returned to her when we all paid in cash at the end of the tour.

Check him out on trip adviser.

• 4 weeks later...
Interested in visiting the D Day beaches.Considering using Overlord tours who have a tour 9B which visits some of the sights.Anyone did this tour?

Another consideration is renting your own car and doing the WW2 sites on your own! I have done this twice, renting a car from Charles de Gaulle Airport and driving to Normandy. Time from airport to Omaha Beach area is about 3 and 1/2 hours. Great roads, great signage, and your car probably will have a GPS. Very easy to drive around and see the sites yourself. I have stayed at two places--Hotel Mercure (4 star on a golf course) in Port en Bessein and Hotel Ibis (3 star) right in the village of Port en Bessein, both in the middle of all the sites. Both hotels extremely clean and tourist friendly with parking. Figure at the very least 3 full days to tour Normandy--you could easily do 2 weeks! I went from St. Marie d'Elisge to Bayeux in seeing the sites. Just suggesting another idea--tours are great and preplanned for you, but sometimes you just want to do an area on your own. Lots of tourist maps and brochures and information throughout the area, so easy to get information and directions. Good luck!