Are you prevented from boarding if you arrive too early?

tampadee

First & Ten is just fishing for someone to argue with. They're here merely to start trouble because they hate FTTF and get their kicks from making fun of people who enjoy getting on board as soon as possible. Except for diamond/platinum cruisers who like to get on board first. For some reason, their desire to get on early is somehow different from everyone else's and they don't get attacked. Probably because F&T knows that wouldn't go over well on these boards. Next thing you know, havingfun2010 will be here to tag in. F&T has always said they board late. That way, the lines for check-in are gone and by the time they get to the Lido buffet, the crowds are gone. But in other threads, they claim that they always experience the madhouse of the Lido buffet on embarkation day with luggage piled everywhere and getting ran over by luggage. Their story changes to fit their intended argument.

Wrong again!!!! I never said I ALWAYS HAVE boarded late. I mostly board late now, due to the chaos and herd mentality of the early birds and Firsties....bingo was spot on, I wasn't starting an argument with her, I was agreeing with her as what she describes is a good way to start your vacation. Helps minimize stress. There you go stalking my posts again....As a blue card newbie, I realize you haven't cruised that much and your expertise hasnt yet been developed. Don't fret, you may get there one day....it takes time noob [emoji16]

Edited by First and Ten

Well yeah, but it won't offer the OP a time slot any earlier than what the terminal allows, will it? So they can pick the first one or one equal to their friends and board together.

What I was responding to was where you said their Platinum friends could check in earlier than their 11-11:30 time slot. If there isn't an earlier one, then that's not correct. Meaning if you have the first time slot no matter if it's 10AM you can't show up at 9AM. If it's 11AM, you can't show up at 10AM.

Even if they pick the same earliest time slot for check in, they will still not board together unless the friends want to forgo their Priority Boarding.

They're here merely to start trouble because they hate FTTF and get their kicks from making fun of people who enjoy getting on board as soon as possible. Except for diamond/platinum cruisers who like to get on board first. For some reason, their desire to get on early is somehow different from everyone else's and they don't get attacked.
Another good reason to change the elite passenger system.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Because in a perfect society, everyone is equal.

Aaahhhhhh, that's right. Everyone gets a trophy. We wouldn't want to reward people for loyalty or for whatever a company decides to do for it's customers for fear it might offend or upset others. I forgot. My bad :rolleyes:. Maybe the government should step in and create some more laws to prevent such discrimination.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Wrong again!!!! I never said I ALWAYS HAVE boarded late. I mostly board late now, due to the chaos and herd mentality of the early birds and Firsties....bingo was spot on, I wasn't starting an argument with her, I was agreeing with her as what she describes is a good way to start your vacation. Helps minimize stress. There you go stalking my posts again....As a blue card newbie, I realize you haven't cruised that much and your expertise hasnt yet been developed. Don't fret, you may get there one day....it takes time noob [emoji16]

"Herd mentality?!" I would do anything in my power to board as early as possible. I have the earliest time slot reserved for my next cruise - and it was no accident. On my last cruise, with another line without staggered check-in, I arrived before they started letting anyone in. It is NOT because I have a "herd mentality." It's because I like to get the maximum value out of my trip. More time on the ship = greater value. I would see getting on late as forfeiting some of the value of my trip because of the hours I am losing. I think about what I get paid per hour... time has value. Go ahead and call me "cheap," but saying I have a "herd mentality" is not accurate. What other people do has zero impact on my decision to arrive early. If someone else wants to arrive late, I say, more power to them - it helps those of us that want to get on early, and I would not criticize them. I don't agree with their reasoning but I respect that they are certainly entitled to it, and to act on it. Likewise, others should not criticize people wanting to arrive early or claiming that their only rationale is "herd mentality" when there are so many viable arguments for arriving early (e.g. increasing trip value, hitting the buffet before it gets crowded, coincidental timing because of when their flight arrives, etc.). I doubt very many of the people who arrive early do it just because "everyone else does." As for "noobs" expressing opinions - no one has a monopoly on the right to express opinions and anyone who has cruised has probably learned some things from their experience that could help someone else, and everyone should be encouraged to share.

Aaahhhhhh, that's right. Everyone gets a trophy. We wouldn't want to reward people for loyalty or for whatever a company decides to do for it's customers for fear it might offend or upset others. I forgot. My bad :rolleyes:. Maybe the government should step in and create some more laws to prevent such discrimination.

You are right, but unfortunately it probably won't happen for 3.5 years. Unless, of course, something else happens before that.

"Herd mentality?!" I would do anything in my power to board as early as possible. I have the earliest time slot reserved for my next cruise - and it was no accident. On my last cruise, with another line without staggered check-in, I arrived before they started letting anyone in. It is NOT because I have a "herd mentality." It's because I like to get the maximum value out of my trip. More time on the ship = greater value. I would see getting on late as forfeiting some of the value of my trip because of the hours I am losing. I think about what I get paid per hour... time has value. Go ahead and call me "cheap," but saying I have a "herd mentality" is not accurate. What other people do has zero impact on my decision to arrive early. If someone else wants to arrive late, I say, more power to them - it helps those of us that want to get on early, and I would not criticize them. I don't agree with their reasoning but I respect that they are certainly entitled to it, and to act on it. Likewise, others should not criticize people wanting to arrive early or claiming that their only rationale is "herd mentality" when there are so many viable arguments for arriving early (e.g. increasing trip value, hitting the buffet before it gets crowded, coincidental timing because of when their flight arrives, etc.). I doubt very many of the people who arrive early do it just because "everyone else does." As for "noobs" expressing opinions - no one has a monopoly on the right to express opinions and anyone who has cruised has probably learned some things from their experience that could help someone else, and everyone should be encouraged to share.

Herd mentality are the people lining up in the terminal, stacked like cattle. I agree they have the same outlook of....GOTTA GET ON THE SHIP FIRST....I AM A FIRSTIE!!!! I wasn't being critical, just making an observation. As far as being cheap, I never used the word cheap in regards to this thread. I never said Firsties were cheap. I don't know if you are cheap or not. I have called people who remove their tips "cheap". Now I am sure there are cheapskate Firsties out there, but I don't know if that is you or not. I never said a noob can't express an opinion. I personally place more emphasis on the opinion of the cruiser who has 21 or 22 cruises than someone who has 1 or 2 when it pertains to cruising, but a noob can express here, I never said they couldn't. Don't attribute to me what you "think" I typed. Try to focus, if you can, on what I actually type.

You are right, but unfortunately it probably won't happen for 3.5 years. Unless, of course, something else happens before that.

Just to clear up any confusion, my post was 100% sarcastic. Government has no place in this nor do I think a company should pander to the victim mentality so many seem to have.

You must arrive at or after your check in time unless you are Diamond/Platinum/FTTF/Suite/Take a Carnival transfer or you will be denied entry into the terminal for check in. Boarding is in zones as it has always been.

We always arrive earlier than the appointed time and have never had a problem.

What I was responding to was where you said their Platinum friends could check in earlier than their 11-11:30 time slot. If there isn't an earlier one, then that's not correct. Meaning if you have the first time slot no matter if it's 10AM you can't show up at 9AM. If it's 11AM, you can't show up at 10AM.

Even if they pick the same earliest time slot for check in, they will still not board together unless the friends want to forgo their Priority Boarding.

When I said their friends can check in earlier than the time they have, I thought it was understood that that's only if the terminal is open, only if there's actually a time available before the one they have. I simply meant that if a time opens up for the OP that happens to be earlier than their friends, their friends can check in early.

I also noted in my previous post (#18) that their friends could go on ahead of them or wait until the OP's zone number is called.

Because in a perfect society, everyone is equal.
I wasn't insinuating that the system should be changed. I was merely pointing out that the people who come on here to put down cruisers who like to get on board as early as they can only attack FTTF passengers. There are plenty of diamond/platinum cruisers who also want to be on as early as they can, yet they are never accused of having this so-called "firstie" mentality. Internet bullies don't go after the groups they know they can't win against. Edited by Organized Chaos

Well yeah, but it won't offer the OP a time slot any earlier than what the terminal allows, will it? So they can pick the first one or one equal to their friends and board together.

The friends of OP, who are Platinum and clearly know the ropes, didn't update them on an embark process that has been around for quite some time. Not saying that makes them bad friends, just the kind of friends you meet on board.

If they're planning to share Inbound/outbound transit, suggest the friends print a couple of extra luggage tags for OP if they are staying nearby. Same at debark.

In a similar situation, with a party of 12, we were the only Ps. We double piggy backed the rental car. We had one person who was not boarding with us drive us to the pier, then he went back got, his family and plus one from the 3rd group, who went went back a third time and dropped the car.

All had our tags with their name on it and we used our extra time on board to move their bags one or two doors down to their rooms. Then we hung out at the atrium bar by the gangway until all arrived.

On the way back, we used our early debark to secure the rental car and get the first group back to DS's house. And did the process in reverse.

It was good to travel with family, but everyone has their own pace and anxiety levels with embark and debark. We were glad everyone got to do it they way they wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We always arrive earlier than the appointed time and have never had a problem.

With staggered check in, you will be turned away and will have to stand outside. We always used to arrive earlier than the 1PM that used to show on the boarding passes too, but since they went to staggered check in, it's a totally different animal.

When I said their friends can check in earlier than the time they have, I thought it was understood that that's only if the terminal is open, only if there's actually a time available before the one they have. I simply meant that if a time opens up for the OP that happens to be earlier than their friends, their friends can check in early.

I also noted in my previous post (#18) that their friends could go on ahead of them or wait until the OP's zone number is called.

I get it. I was simply clarifying where you said Keep in mind, your platinum friends can check in anytime they want, even before their 11-11:30 time. Which is true IF there is a time slot earlier than 11-11:30. For some ships like Vista, that is the earliest slot. I was just trying to make it clear (and not necessarily directed at you) that it's not like the old days where you could show up at like 10AM and be let in. It will all depend on the ship and what time they start check in.

And yes, I know what you said in post #18. I was responding to your comment of So they can pick the first one or one equal to their friends and board together.

I didn't say you were starting an argument with bingomamma. I said you came here to start an argument, period. Just as you go to every thread related to something you disagree with just to start an argument. But if it makes you feel better, you can spin it any way you like.

Actually, according to Carnival's loyalty system, I'm a red card. ;) I'm new to cruising and not ashamed of it. Whether it's now or in 10 years, I don't think cruising more somehow makes me better than those who have cruised less. But if that's what you need to convince yourself of to feel better, so be it. I take pride in the fact that, even as a newcomer to cruising, I've contributed a lot of meaningful and helpful content to this forum in the short time I've been here so far. What is it you do here, besides gripe about other cruisers, call people childish names, and put down anyone who doesn't agree with what you say or how you cruise?

We've always arrived early for cruises.

I just saw in a review of Magic that he saw passengers stopped because they arrived earlier at Port Canaveral than they were supposed to. Will we actually be prevented from boarding if we arrive early? I wanted to be eating by 12 p.m. not just starting to board!!

We have gotten on earlier than our boarding time every cruise we've been on. Which is 6 cruises, 4 last 4 years. Carnival and Royal C.

Been on by noon on all of them.

Hypothetical question....Carnival opens up a checkin time of 4-430 am....it's only a group of 50 people and you have to arrive between 4-430 am....if you come out 431, no dice....you can't get on the ship until it's has cleared customs and has been disembarked from previous cruise, etc and that should be around 1130 am, but you are the first group to board and your room is ready....do you do it? Wait in the terminal 7+ hours but you get on the ship first?

I assume you meant 4pm. Get on as soon as you can and start enjoying the fun. We have never got on when our pass said. Always by noon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I didn't say you were starting an argument with bingomamma. I said you came here to start an argument, period. Just as you go to every thread related to something you disagree with just to start an argument. But if it makes you feel better, you can spin it any way you like.

Actually, according to Carnival's loyalty system, I'm a red card. ;) I'm new to cruising and not ashamed of it. Whether it's now or in 10 years, I don't think cruising more somehow makes me better than those who have cruised less. But if that's what you need to convince yourself of, so be it. And I take pride in the fact that, even as a newcomer to cruising, I've contributed a lot of meaningful and helpful content to this forum in the short time I've been here so far. What is it you do here, besides gripe about other cruisers, call people childish names, and put down anyone who doesn't agree with what you say or how you cruise?

Noob, you stalk my posts and look to stir the pot up with me. Didn't realize you got to red. I will not call you Noob anymore....you you are now dubbed "Semi-Noob"

Again, comprehension seems to be an issue with you, along with exaggeration. I never said a person who has cruised more is "better" than someone who has cruised less. What I said was I personally value the opinion of a cruiser that has cruised significantly more than someone who hasnt....stay with me now and read and try to comprehend....as it pertains to cruising. A bit conceited of you to post that you have brought a lot of meaningful and helpful content....toot your own horn much? [emoji16]

Going back to the post in question, I agreed with bingo's assessment. To you that somehow means I was starting an argument or putting someone down. Quite a reach, but somehow you try to justify it

We have gotten on earlier than our boarding time every cruise we've been on. Which is 6 cruises, 4 last 4 years. Carnival and Royal C.

Been on by noon on all of them.

Carnival no longer offers "Boarding Times" they are "Check In Times" or "Arrival Appointments" and just recently started it at all of the ports. You more than likely didn't have to choose a check in time as those are now strictly enforced.

You are so condescending. Why can't you just admit that it is OK to get on at 1:30 or 11:30. The reason it is so crowded at first is because there are a lot of people that love to get on early. Why do you care about the time anyone gets on the ship other than the time you get on.

We've always arrived early for cruises.

I just saw in a review of Magic that he saw passengers stopped because they arrived earlier at Port Canaveral than they were supposed to. Will we actually be prevented from boarding if we arrive early? I wanted to be eating by 12 p.m. not just starting to board!!

You are confusing boarding and checking in , they stop you from checking in.

You are so condescending. Why can't you just admit that it is OK to get on at 1:30 or 11:30. The reason it is so crowded at first is because there are a lot of people that love to get on early. Why do you care about the time anyone gets on the ship other than the time you get on.

By the same respect, what does it matter to you what I think. I don't care what time anyone gets on the ship. I do think it's humorous when supposedly grown mature adults lose their minds and act like 8 yr olds. They will post things like "I cruise in 3 months and I can't get FTTF, I check multiple times a day and still can't get it. I don't know if I can cruise without it, what should I do"? These are apparently grown adults posting stuff like this [emoji849] I just try to reassure people that without FTTF, while it may be inconceivable, you can still have a great cruise without it

Want to discuss the dress code for the MDR next? [emoji57]