Escape Internet - better to purchase ahead of time or after boarding the ship?

kokopelli-az

We will be on the Escape exactly 60 days from today. I was already going to purchase the 250 minute Internet package ahead of time, but when I logged into my account today, this was the choice:

"Internet - 250 minutes. Save $3.95 USD activation fee when you book on-line. This time plan gives you 250 minutes of Internet connectivity. Price: $125.00"

This is the first time I've seen the activation fee.

But my real question is, are there Internet deals after boarding that offer more minutes, for example, for the same price? Or should I just go ahead and buy the Internet package now?

... This is the first time I've seen the activation fee. But my real question is, are there Internet deals after boarding that offer more minutes, for example, for the same price? ...

I would wait until embarkation ...

Do you have Latitude status as you can usually ask for & get a discount off that rate?

On Day 1, there's usually Internet Cafe manager's special, offering extra bonsus/sign-up minutes (no "discount off the $125 price) Recently on the Gem, it was extra 20 minutes, thus valued at $10 extra - even if you will be charged the activation fee (NCL always has that activation fee ... ask nicely at his/her deck, good chance of getting it "waived" at manager's discretion ;p) Even if not, you will still come out ahead - besides, you can do a connectivity check to see if the speed is sufficient and usable first (point your browser to ncl.com first - access to that site is always free while onboard).

Besides, Escape & Getaway are currently (still, AFAIK) the only 2 ships in NCL fleet offering the newest 3-tiered plan including (limited) social media access option, not sold or available for advanced online purchase.

Plus, if you have and will receive any non-refundable (use it or lose it) OBC during this cruise, it can be applied to offset the charges.

Do you have Latitude status as you can usually ask for & get a discount off that rate?

Plus, if you have and will receive any non-refundable (use it or lose it) OBC during this cruise, it can be applied to offset the charges.

Yes as to Latitude status. We are silver.

And yes as to having nonrefundable OBC.

That does it, I guess I'll wait until on-board. I was just hoping to avoid any crowds by getting it ahead of time but I'm all for getting more minutes, or whatever they'll be offering.

I assume I am going to have to go to the Internet Cafe upon boarding and sign up there to get any bonus Internet perks?

PS: Is the Internet Cafe the same as iConnect? I am looking at a Freestyle Daily someone posted from the end of May and it lists the iConnect Manager (Deck 6 forward) hours. Is this who I have to sign-up with for the Internet? Or are there kiosks around the ship for people to sign up?

how is the WIFI on Escape? Does NCL provide a decent enough service for music/video streaming? Only ask cause I do like to have my phone on my to stream music from pandora, youtube (hence video streaming) or whatever when I'm just sitting on the pool deck sipping a drink. Otherwise may just worry about using the cafe

... We are silver ... having nonrefundable OBC ... I was just hoping to avoid any crowds by getting it ahead of time but I'm all for getting more minutes, or whatever ... going to have to go to the Internet Cafe upon boarding and sign up there to get any bonus Internet perks?

PS: Is the Internet Cafe the same as iConnect? ... and it lists the iConnect Manager (Deck 6 forward) hours. Is this who I have to sign-up with for the Internet? Or are there kiosks around ...?

Latitude members get 30 extra minutes when signing up for the 250 plan :p - check the Freestyle Daily on Day 1 about the current offer (there are "Live" posts recently from those on the Escape - post a quick Q & see if they can help anwer) as 30+20 plus 250 would give you 300 minutes ... should be adequate for light & causal use while onboard.

Last time I went to the IC to get our extra minutes, wait for less than 5 minute, just one couple in front of us ... not going to be a long line to sign up. iConnect should be the same and one as IC - really no automatic kiosk for DIY with the bonus, has to be manually added or override.

Just download the free iConcierge App & install on your mobile device before going to the pier, along with the SpeedNet App (see the mini "guide" & links I posted under my SIGNature)

how is the WIFI on Escape? Does NCL provide a decent enough service for music/video streaming? ... Otherwise may just worry about using the cafe
Paid "WiFi" on the Escape is reported by most to be usable, not "fast" depending on your reference/benchmark (slow compared to RCI's "Voom") and even so, some complained about congestion & speed over the summer. We are speaking of satellite connection, basically at 3G ... not 4G/LTE or fiber optics / microwave signal while at sea; and, it is shared, metered & throttled, etc.

Those on the paid unlimited plan typically were able to do most things. Haven't been on the Escape, the Breakaway has a fairly "good" inTRAnet and inTERnet dual band signal ... some of the burst upload speed were good at random "off-peak" time - the servers do and will detect inactivity & drop your connection after a timed out period.

IC's computer connection are not any faster or better, I much prefer to use our own secured devices & configuration over a "public terminal".

And, bring along an external usb battery pack, data/charging cable & thumb drives ... it always come in handy.

I am on onboard currently and on the WiFi Basic which we had as one of our free packages - specifically the 250 minute/1GB one. On Sunday i was offered an upgrade to Basic Ulimited for $55 one off fee. Normally $180 I was told. I did upgrade, using OBC, and now have unlimited Basic until the end of the cruise (Saturday). It would appear the 1GB cap is also removed and not applicable as we have bust that already. Basic is pitched as non-streaming, for use for email, browsing, general use, etc. Posting pictures on WhatsApp works fine. Premium is sold as the streaming Internet service. Believe there is a social media option too, as noted above, but not on my radar. Basic is working fine - sometimes a wee bit laggy, but nothing of any concern, in fact pretty good I reckon. Only one user/device per session. You are notified if someone else in your family is already logged on and are given the option to end their session. Good overall service IMHO.

Latitude members get 30 extra minutes when signing up for the 250 plan :p - check the Freestyle Daily on Day 1 about the current offer (there are "Live" posts recently from those on the Escape - post a quick Q & see if they can help anwer) as 30+20 plus 250 would give you 300 minutes ... should be adequate for light & causal use while onboard.

----------------------------

I am on onboard currently and on the WiFi Basic which we had as one of our free packages - specifically the 250 minute/1GB one. On Sunday i was offered an upgrade to Basic Ulimited for $55 one off fee. Normally $180 I was told. I did upgrade, using OBC, and now have unlimited Basic until the end of the cruise (Saturday). It would appear the 1GB cap is also removed and not applicable as we have bust that already. Basic is pitched as non-streaming, for use for email, browsing, general use, etc.

I checked the Freestyle Daily (from May) for both Day One and Day Two and there is no mention of any upgrades or anything about even purchasing an Internet package. Is the Internet package offer on board a separate flyer?

I'd love the unlimited plan offer but I guess I wouldn't get that offer since I wouldn't already have an Internet package (until I purchase it on board). BTW, on MyNCL the price for the Unlimited plan is $209.93.

I checked the Freestyle Daily (from May) for both Day One and Day Two and there is no mention of any upgrades or anything ... Is the Internet package offer on board a separate flyer?

I'd love the unlimited plan offer but I guess ...on MyNCL the price for the Unlimited plan is $209.93.

The offer was on the extra infomercial sheets in the stateroom.

Had01 (thanks for the update) above just posted, $55 to upgrade isn't bad if you want, need & willing to pay ... and you have OBC to use. The unlimited plan is typically sold on Day 1 or Day 2 of the entire duration of the cruise only @ $29.95 per day - thus about $210 for 7 days or $180 for 6 days, seen reports that it's been raised to $35 per day.

Now, this is first time I see 250 minutes as 1GB equivalent used for describing plans on the Escape. If this is like the Breakaway, that's same as - really - getting 1,000 minutes to use. Spread that over 6 or 7 days, for 2.5 to 3 hours at one device at a time.

It comes down to what's important and "needed" to you based on how to plan to use it. Last year on the BA, we used about 1.6 GB worth of satellite WiFi data - while in ports, we use our own cellular 3G (now 4G) connections @ just $10 per 1GB <<same as our home rates - in 135+ countries>>

via Nexus 5X on Nougat 7.1.2 using Tapatalk, VPN secured.

Edited by mking8288