Looking for Roatan recommendations

jmoak

Hello, we are planning to hire a driver for the day, either Rony or Bodden, both seem to get good reviews.

What I'd like to do is go to a beach, eat at a local restaurant, visit a local market for souvenirs and anything else anyone would recommend.

So any advice you may have on these are appreciated.

I do have a specific question. What is the difference in West bay and West end beach? Is there an entry fee to each? Can you snorkel and rent equipment?

Is there a particular restaurant and market I should ask our driver totaled us to? Thanks. Jmoak

West Bay is at the southwestern end of the island. with lots of resorts and beach clubs. The beach is called Tabayana, but that's also a specific area where cruise ship excursions go. West End is a little further up the coast and while there are shops and hotels, there are also dive shops and sports fishermen there.

I'm sure Rony and Victor both have spots where they go.to on the West Bay. For a short time there, these will be good. Beaches themselves are free. You pay the establishment for lounger rentals and any other amenities used. Most places will have snorkel equipment for rental. But not a bad idea to bring your own mask and if not the snorkel, wipes to clean the mouth piece.

Plenty of local places to eat too. Some of Victor's drivers will drop you at a club that serves food. But a couple can take you to a local place their families own. Rony has intimate knowledge of just about every type of food served on the island and he can direct you or the driver to what ever you'd like to eat.

Shops in West End have local souvenirs, but can be expensive and you can buy the same stuff at the cruise ports. Made-In-Roatan in Coxen Hole, a short walk from that port area, is a great place to find unique stuff, not labeled "Hecho en Chine".

There's a thread for Bodden drivers. I might check there ours was Ron and he was fantastic!! Can't answer directly that question because I'm not sure on West End stuff. But our tour guide Ron told us that all the beaches are public and free (we even drove on one at one point). The clubs you pay for are for food, loungers, security, showers, bathrooms, etc. It was nice to pay and have access to those, especially because as Ron said, the water is super salty. And Ron would have the hookup on your other activities. You can even taste or eat iguana!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We went with Rony's. The driver took us to a local "outdoor market" to get souvenirs for about a third of the cost that you'll find close to port. And it's up on the highest point of Roatan, so you can get a couple good pictures. We stopped along the road for some local fruit that I've never seen before. Then they took us to a beautiful beach right by some cliffs at West Bay. See attachment for pics:

Just tell them what you want to do on your tour and they will deliver. I would highly recommend Rony's.

Rony's pdf.pdf

• 3 weeks later...