Ship Library

Can anyone tell me how the library works on the ship? Do you check books out for a period of time or the duration of the cruise or is it a leave books and take books type of situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm bringing a book from home that I've only gotten half way through so far. I'm hoping to just swap out books. Just do the leave on and take one way. Is this allowable?

I'm bringing a book from home that I've only gotten half way through so far. I'm hoping to just swap out books. Just do the leave on and take one way. Is this allowable?

I don't think anyone cares.

On some ships there is a box for book return. I prefer, and hope others leave the books on the shelf, even in the wrong place, so others passengers have a chance to get a book. I've never seen any royal Caribbean staff assigned to over see the library, or even sitting there. I don't know how long the books stay in the return box. Some ship "libraries" are simply a shelf of a few books.

The library on Oasis is a large enclosed room with nice seating, but it is also the office of the loyalty ambassador. If you sit down to read a book, you can experience the flow of passengers visiting the loyalty ambassador to complain about something. Makes for a fun/comical few minutes.

From what I can tell - I think folks take a book out and use it too save their pool chair.

Off topic, but recently I've seen "libraries" pop up in hotel lobbies. There is usually a simple sign to take a book or leave a book.

M

On some ships there is a box for book return. I prefer, and hope others leave the books on the shelf, even in the wrong place, so others passengers have a chance to get a book. I've never seen any royal Caribbean staff assigned to over see the library, or even sitting there. I don't know how long the books stay in the return box. Some ship "libraries" are simply a shelf of a few books.

*grin* I think Majesty's was your choice of Parcheesi, checkers, and "The Holy Bible" in either English or Spanish. I don't think it was ever used for anything other than people playing bridge and AA meetings.

The libraries seem to operate differently on every ship; some have librarians with posted hours and some are DIY. Books owned by the library (few and far between these days) have large labels identifying them as such. Pax owned books left for recycling are usually just left on a shelf and disappear quickly. I have been told that after a bad outbreak of Noro Virus, all books are destroyed.:o Also have been told that about 300 books owned by the "library" disappear each cruise. Draw your own conclusions.

Just off Adventure, and the Library was always packed! No librarian, and there was an honor system in place. Always a lot of ppl reading and relaxing... Our cabins were just off the hallway, so pass through there at least 4 times a day!

There was a good library on Mariner in May, with a sign out book, but using it was optional. The library on Anthem, well hidden in the upper deck of Two70, was very sparse and had only one book that held my interest.

Can anyone tell me how the library works on the ship? Do you check books out for a period of time or the duration of the cruise or is it a leave books and take books type of situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some libraries have a book that you use to sign out books. Most people seem to leave the books that they have finished(that they brought from home) for others to enjoy.

The libraries seem to operate differently on every ship; some have librarians with posted hours and some are DIY. Books owned by the library (few and far between these days) have large labels identifying them as such. Pax owned books left for recycling are usually just left on a shelf and disappear quickly. I have been told that after a bad outbreak of Noro Virus, all books are destroyed.:o Also have been told that about 300 books owned by the "library" disappear each cruise. Draw your own conclusions.

Yes, and reason I never touch magazines in Dr's office... Royal Ships 20-30 years had a dedicated space/room with stocked Library and an attendant. Now usually just some donated books in corner. Anymore everyone(almost) reads on a tablet, though I bring my Laptop, my cruises are usually 21-43 nites long and I still bring 2-3 good books when I cruise...