Palma de Mallorca

ljandgb

Roger

We will be in Palma de Mallorca on Thursday, Nov 29 2018 from 9AM till 9PM.

What type of weather (temp) should we expect around that time?

About what time does it get dark at that time of the year?

Looking quickly at a guide, it says about 5:30PM, so what might one do after dark if we are there until 9PM.

Are many tour companies and other places closed that late in the season. I tried a couple I found on Trip Advisor and they show nothing after mid November. Is that the norm then?

Cheers

Len

we used Mallorca Private Tour Guides last October with guide Ana

Mallorca is a popular winter sun destination for Europeans-should be warm but not hot although I suppose depends where you come from what you consider warm

I was in a sundress whereas tourmates were wearing jackets!

Valdermossa definitely worth visiting as very beautiful

after dark I would be looking out for a café to people watch either sea front or in town

Roger

We will be in Palma de Mallorca on Thursday, Nov 29 2018 from 9AM till 9PM.

What type of weather (temp) should we expect around that time?

About what time does it get dark at that time of the year?

Looking quickly at a guide, it says about 5:30PM, so what might one do after dark if we are there until 9PM.

Are many tour companies and other places closed that late in the season. I tried a couple I found on Trip Advisor and they show nothing after mid November. Is that the norm then?

Cheers

Len

Weather in November is changeable last year was warm and sunny,but who knows today when it should be warm and sunny it chilly and cloudy, over the last month I think we have only 5 good days .

A nice day out would be the train to Soller see my ideas with this on :

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2369657

Thanks for the responses. We are from the NYC area and LOVE the cool to colder weather. In fact we are looking to relocate to Vermont or New Hampshire. I like a nice nylon waterproof jacket even in the coldest months, so 50ish is still warm for me. :D:D:D

Since we have never been to this area ever, we would like to concentrate on the main areas and probably forgo any train trips. Saving them when we return. :cool:

A tour of Valdermossa and Palma de Mallorca would probably suffice for this time. Looking at this, it really sounds wonderful and our anticipation is growing.

Cheers

Len

We just got back from a cruise that stopped at Palma Majorca from 1-8 PM. We hired a taxi for a day from port to the center of Palma and then to Soller, Port de Soller and finally Valdermossa. Valdermossa was my favorite. If I was to do it over, I’d only include Valdermossa and then Palma De Mallorca. I noticed that Valdermossa was a bit cooler than other places.

On the way from Port De Soller to Valdermossa, we stopped at the checkpoint to take pictures of Port De Soller and my purse got stolen. I set my purse down to take pictures since there were only a few other people besides our group. Less than 5 minutes later, and the purse was gone! I only read about pickpockets and thefts at the city center or crowded places. I let my guard down since it was a remote place with only a few other people who appeared to be tourists like us. Lesson learned. Hope my experience will help others not to let their guard down under any other circumstances.

We just got back from a cruise that stopped at Palma Majorca from 1-8 PM. We hired a taxi for a day from port to the center of Palma and then to Soller, Port de Soller and finally Valdermossa. Valdermossa was my favorite. If I was to do it over, I’d only include Valdermossa and then Palma De Mallorca. I noticed that Valdermossa was a bit cooler than other places.

On the way from Port De Soller to Valdermossa, we stopped at the checkpoint to take pictures of Port De Soller and my purse got stolen. I set my purse down to take pictures since there were only a few other people besides our group. Less than 5 minutes later, and the purse was gone! I only read about pickpockets and thefts at the city center or crowded places. I let my guard down since it was a remote place with only a few other people who appeared to be tourists like us. Lesson learned. Hope my experience will help others not to let their guard down under any other circumstances.

This also happen to me I was walking in Palma and suddenly felt a hand in my pocket ,I grabbed his hand and he ran !!! ,just be careful

Roger

I just finished reading the other thread about DIY. It does sound intriguing.

So a few more questions.

If we were to rent a car for the day just to do Valdermossa and then Palma De Mallorca, how are the roads between the two areas.? Is this highway, or other type of roads? Is the signage pretty good, so it would be hard to get lost? Also, if driving around Palma, is there parking at the main venues. Myself, I am slightly handicapped and have a handicapped tag that I bring when I travel if I want to rent a car. Does that give me any special parking privileges?

Part 2--If we decide not to rent the car and just wanted to do this on our own, is that a good thing, and where would I start? I read about public buses, is that the way to get to Valdermossa ?

Part 3 I also read about several places where our ship may dock. We are on the MSC Sinfonia, docking on Nov 29, 2018. Is there a place or link where we can find out exactly where the ship docks?

Again, thanks for your time and advice on these matters.

Cheers

Len

It is a very easy drive from the port abòut 40 mins ,see google maps .

Straight on to the motoway from the port direction to the airport cjome off at the junction marked Valldermosa then follow that road about 20 mjns from juction.

There is parking in large car park near the cathedral with disabled bays, you can also park in the street as there are plenty of free disabled bays if you use your badge.

There is no way of knowing where your ship will dock .

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

Thanks again Roger.

If we were to forgo the auto and just want to do

Valldermosa and Palma on our own, thru whatever public transportation there is (if there is), is this a doable thing and fairly easy. If it gets complicated, I'd rather go with the auto, but driving in strange areas isn't my forte.

What do you think?

Cheers

Len

Thanks again Roger.

If we were to forgo the auto and just want to do

Valldermosa and Palma on our own, thru whatever public transportation there is (if there is), is this a doable thing and fairly easy. If it gets complicated, I'd rather go with the auto, but driving in strange areas isn't my forte.

What do you think?

Cheers

Len

Easy enough I would get a taxi to the main bus station the bus runs every hour and is a half hour journey . you should be back in Palma by lunch time and then you can spend the rest of the day in Palma.

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Palma/Valldemossa

Easy enough I would get a taxi to the main bus station the bus runs every hour and is a half hour journey . you should be back in Palma by lunch time and then you can spend the rest of the day in Palma.

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Palma/Valldemossa

Thanks again Roger. We'll have to let this sit for a bit and we will decide which way to go.

If we do decide to do the train, how do we buy tickets--by a machine? ca we use a credit card? and which train would we take?

Cheers

Len

Thanks again Roger. We'll have to let this sit for a bit and we will decide which way to go.

If we do decide to do the train, how do we buy tickets--by a machine? ca we use a credit card? and which train would we take?

Cheers

Len

Look on Majorca diy on how to get the train ,timetables and fares.You can only buy tickets on the day from the station.It is a whole day out and you won't be able to see much od Palma

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app