So, I just priced out a 7 day Disney cruise for my kids next year and...

john91498

if DCL was cheaper, we'd all have to get in years-long lines!

Sorry, but I don't understand this statement. The ships each have a capacity which cannot be exceeded. Most of the time, they cruise at or near capacity....meaning that every cabin is booked except for the few that they keep empty for emergencies. Some cruises fill up within a few days of their opening day and remain that way until embarkation day while others have a lot of openings shortly before the PIF date. There are people waiting in line for 18 months for a DCL booking--we've done it! I've also booked a cruise that was filling so fast that the price increased $800 while I was on the phone waiting for a DCL agent--I had a couple question before I booked (ouch!) The 2018 Panama Canal is supposedly full and the trans-Atlantic is nearly full. Interestingly, there is space on most of the fall 2017 cruises, but those are some of the hardest to fill as traditional schools are in session. You can't wait in line much longer than 18 months because the available dates aren't announced until then.

When a typical DCL cruise was 1/2 the price it is now, I once booked on Thursday for a Saturday departure.

Yes, the parks supposedly have a capacity, but that capacity is totally packed. The ships are never like that, even when totally full. I agree that for some families, the question is "Parks or Cruise?" But for others, it is whether there are any new or different cruises this year or should we look at other cruise lines or venues.

Edited by moki'smommy

Sorry' date=' but I don't understand this statement. The ships each have a capacity which cannot be exceeded. Most of the time, they cruise at or near capacity....meaning that every cabin is booked except for the few that they keep empty for emergencies. Some cruises fill up within a few days of their opening day and remain that way until embarkation day while others have a lot of openings shortly before the PIF date. There are people waiting in line for 18 months for a DCL booking--we've done it! I've also booked a cruise that was filling so fast that the price increased $800 while I was on the phone waiting for a DCL agent--I had a couple question before I booked (ouch!) The 2018 Panama Canal is supposedly full and the trans-Atlantic is nearly full. Interestingly, there is space on most of the fall 2017 cruises, but those are some of the hardest to fill as traditional schools are in session. You can't wait in line much longer than 18 months because the available dates aren't announced until then.

When a typical DCL cruise was 1/2 the price it is now, I once booked on Thursday for a Saturday departure.

Yes, the parks supposedly have a capacity, but that capacity is totally packed. The ships are never like that, even when totally full. I agree that for some families, the question is "Parks or Cruise?" But for others, it is whether there are any new or different cruises this year or should we look at other cruise lines or venues.[/quote']

Hey Moki - I think you made my point even more strongly than I did - we both agree! For a family of five, with tickets, moderate resort and meals, I'm pretty sure a 4- or 5- night cruise at DCL's current prices is very similar. I just don't think this idea of "park-DCL" equivalency is known to or thought about by a lot of people (including those who get sticker shock at the current prices).

My main point is that essentially, DCL doesn't need to compete with other cruise lines on price - they have a very willing/loyal base to draw upon who are willing to open their wallet.

I really think the comparison is similar for Six Flags vs. WDW. Why would you go wait in lines in the high humidity at WDW and pay twice (or more) for that experience vs. going to your local Six Flags? Because it's Disney and the attention to detail and the Disney experience/touches/magic and the commitment to service. (Even though any sensible person would have to admit that the rides at Six Flags are MUCH more fun/intense than a head-to-head comparison with rides at Disney parks).

Here's an equivalent argument: Six Flags in Atlanta - $42.99 per ticket... why do people trek to Lake Buena Vista anyway?

https://www.sixflags.com/overgeorgia/store/tickets#dailytickets

Why would the OP fly to Atlanta to visit 6 Flags when there's one near where they live? And how does 6 Flags compare to a cruise .... which is what the OP wants for a family vacation. OR the OP's family wants the cruise. However you want to look at that.

Why would the OP fly to Atlanta to visit 6 Flags when there's one near where they live? And how does 6 Flags compare to a cruise .... which is what the OP wants for a family vacation. OR the OP's family wants the cruise. However you want to look at that.

It's an analogy to get OP thinking about why there might be a difference - I'm suggesting an apples and oranges comparison, even if DCL and other lines (RCCL, Princess in particular) seem like similar kinds of apples. There MUST be SOMETHING different to justify these price differences...

OK, I think I see where you are going.

As to Six Flags vs. WDW....the Six Flags near me is disgusting! It is filthy, the kids who work there are rude, crude, and obnoxious, and the customers are worse. I went once when a private group had bought out the park--that wasn't bad. Went back once on a "normal" day--never again.

But there really isn't that sort of difference between DCL and other cruise lines, except maybe Carnival. I know Carnival has worked hard to make their cruises more "family friendly," and somewhat succeeded with their longer cruises, but the short ones are still booze cruises. Each line has its own flavor and its own good and not so good points, but it isn't on the level of "Disney is wonderful and the others are horrible." And other lines go places that DCL doesn't!

I do agree that a WDW trip was basically in the same price range as a cruise the last time I checked. That was before the big price increase on DCL, but I know that WDW has also raised prices. I used to consider DCL a good value when compared with other vacations. Not sure about that now! I'd do it if there were grandchildren involved...as an all adult group, I'd have to find the perfect cruise that we really wanted to do.

was just reading an article about their loyal fan base..

Disney Cruises Have Big Fans Who Don't Bring Along Children

A lot of their "loyal fan base" have at least explored other lines due to price increases. I'd love to do another Magic cruise...but it would have to be a "just the right one" kind of cruise. I'm not going to pay those rates to sail around the Caribbean again. And my pet peeve is that they don't do a good enough job of keeping kids out of SOME of the adult areas (mostly around the Quiet Cove Pool and Cafe). But I'm firm about it. IMHO, "adults only" means no kids. That's also what the signs say..."This area reserved for guests 18 and over." Pretty clear to me, but parents still bring in kids in strollers, walk thru with their kids, and have their kids come over to the adult pool to "check in" or "talk" to them. It is strict in the nightclub area in the evenings. I've seen the CD stop a performance when someone brought a young child in.

I can't justify the prices they charge, either. I've been on 2 disney cruises and loved them. First one was a treat for the family, second one was actually a good deal for 3 adults having a "ladies weekend", but I looked on the day bookings opened at the price of a 4 night Thanksgiving 2018 cruise on either the Fantasy or Dream. $4500 for an inside cabin for 2. I love Disney, but not nearly that much. Ships are nice, entertainment is great, food is good (I've had better in other cruise lines dining rooms, and I think their pizza tastes like cardboard), but I found a 5 night Celebrity Thanksgiving 2018 cruise for less than $1000 for an inside. Guess which one I booked? Yep, longer cruise on a nice line at less than 1/4 of the cost. No contest.

Edited by Knighton
more info

It's $6,700 for the four of us and that's cruise only. We still have to fly out to Florida.

This cruise has Star Wars characters on it and my son loves Star Wars. So, my wife asked me to price out a cruise and see if's it's feasible. For $6,7000 and probably another $1,400 for flights...I think not...

I don't know if you've ever been, but in St. Maarten there is a place called "Planet Paradise/Yoda Guy Exhibit". It is owned by a man named Nick Malley I think, and its a jam packed little museum with lots of Star Wars stuff. The owner worked on Star Wars and other movies and answers questions. We took our two boys there a few years back and we all really enjoyed it. You can look it up and read reviews and see photos. Its right on Front St. in St. Maarten. Just a suggestion if you take a cruise that stops there.

I don't know if you've ever been, but in St. Maarten there is a place called "Planet Paradise/Yoda Guy Exhibit". It is owned by a man named Nick Malley I think, and its a jam packed little museum with lots of Star Wars stuff. The owner worked on Star Wars and other movies and answers questions. We took our two boys there a few years back and we all really enjoyed it. You can look it up and read reviews and see photos. Its right on Front St. in St. Maarten. Just a suggestion if you take a cruise that stops there.

And it is a great place to visit. It was a shop that he basically turned into a museum.

I'll probably regret this but,

4 people, 7 days and unless my math is wrong that works out to about $240 per head per day; lodging, meals, entertainment included.

Disney usually delivers a quality product and I'm not sure comparing Disney with Carnival is an apples to apples comparison.

I'm always willing to pay for quality, so I filter things differently. But just out of curiousity, what would you consider a reasonable cost per day per head to be on a Disney boat?

It's $6,700 for the four of us and that's cruise only. We still have to fly out to Florida.

This cruise has Star Wars characters on it and my son loves Star Wars. So, my wife asked me to price out a cruise and see if's it's feasible. For $6,7000 and probably another $1,400 for flights...I think not...

Get a ship that goes to St Martin. There is the Yoda Guy/Stars Wars museum in downtown. Google it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure what time of the year you are looking at but when kids are out of school is always highest. I booked when the dates first came out for January 2018- 2 inside cabins for 5 night cruise for 5 people and total is $4300.00. I applied for the Disney credit card and received the $200 credit so new cruise total $4100. I purchased 41 $100 Disney Gift cards at BJ's for 94.99 each so my new cruise total was $3894.00. Since I used credit cards that offered 5% cash back I earned $194.00 with that so I cashed that in--new cruise total $3700.00. Using my Disney credit card over the past 8 months I will have enough Disney dollars to pay all onboard gratuities and extra dollars for whatever else!

As far as airfare-- I applied for the Southwest credit card, met the criteria for the bonus 40,000 points and as soon as those dates came out I booked all 5 plane tickets with points so my total was $11 per person. Point of post-- where there is a will there is a way- hope it works out for you and your family. I personally don't feel there is any comparison between Disney and Carnival-I would sail Royal Caribbean or Norwegian before them.

We have cruised 12 times on all of DCL ships.

We did a 7 night of Magic on the week before Christmas in 2014 for under $7,000. That same week is now well over $9,000 on the Fantasy.

We did 2 Fantasy 7 nights for a family of 4 in balcony in 2011-2012 and spent $5,000 and these were at peak times in the summer.

We did a 7 night on Fantasy May 2016 and got a GTY rate of $6500.

Since that May cruise we have not seen a week on Fantasy for any of the weeks we sailed before for less than $9,000 for a family of 4 in a balcony. Even oceanview rooms are well over $9,000.

Rates have risen dramatically since 2011 when we first started sailing Disney.

Our kids are getting older so we have tried both NCL and Princess. In fact, we have done a 10 night Caribbean and a 7 night Bermuda trip this year and both of those trips still do not add up to one DCL 7 night.

We would love to get back on a Disney ship because they are magical and the entertainment is fabulous.

Although the rates skyrocketing these past 2 yrs we just can't wrap our heads on why we would pay 3-4 times more than a Princess/NCL cruise. Princess is just as good service wise and better in food options than Disney but lacks the amazeballs entertainment and magic as DCL but for $4000-$5,000 grand less we are booking with Princess.

We have cruised 12 times on all of DCL ships.

Our kids are getting older so we have tried both NCL and Princess. In fact, we have done a 10 night Caribbean and a 7 night Bermuda trip this year and both of those trips still do not add up to one DCL 7 night.

We would love to get back on a Disney ship because they are magical and the entertainment is fabulous.

Although the rates skyrocketing these past 2 yrs we just can't wrap our heads on why we would pay 3-4 times more than a Princess/NCL cruise. Princess is just as good service wise and better in food options than Disney but lacks the amazeballs entertainment and magic as DCL but for $4000-$5,000 grand less we are booking with Princess.

We've Sailed on Disney 8 times and are looking to try other lines. Would you mind providing a short comparison between Disney and NCL and Princess? (besides the $$ savings). Please compare: food, crowds, staff, entertainment, kids activities, ship condition, etc. Thanks

I've done 30 DCL cruises--many categories, locations, and ships as well as embarkation ports and itineraries. I did a long Princess to DCL review after our first Princess cruise about 18 months ago. With luck, you might find the link..... We have also cruised Celebrity. Our other line experiences were too long ago to be valid now.

Short version, we have since done 2 more Princess cruises on a different ship. There is much more variation between ships on Princess than on DCL, and some of the features that are available on one are not offered on another.

DCL wins for main stage entertainment. We preferred the "around the ship" entertainment on Princess and Celebrity to DCL's. However, a lot of DCL's "around the ship" involves meet and greet sessions with characters, and we're not into that.

Food is subjective. We found the MDR food on Princess to be the best, Celebrity second (although I've read that they have decreased quality in the MDR and emphasized their Blu, concierge only restaurant), and DCL third. Dining atmosphere was best/most adult on Princess. We were able to be seated at a "just our party" table with other tables so close that it was our choice whether to interact with those families or not (we did). It was a great compromise between being seated with others and having to interact and not meeting anyone else. Normally on DCL, we request "just us" seating. The dining rooms on other lines don't have dinner "entertainment" in the way that DCL does, and are MUCH more quiet. The servers are more friendly and interactive on DCL. Service on Princess was good, nothing wrong with it at all, just not as much "we are your best friends" sort of feeling. On Celebrity, the service was just adequate, not good. The upcharge dining was best on DCL. I loved the "International Cafe" on Princess where you can get salads, sandwiches, and desserts as well as upcharge coffees and teas. This was better than the Cove Cafe. Celebrity also had two great areas, one focusing on healthy lunch (freshly grilled salmon, prepared while you stood there) and a munchies area with amazing almond croissants. Princess pizza on the Caribbean Princess was amazing. On the Diamond Princess it was "just OK," On DCL, it is cardboard! The buffets were best on Celebrity, next Princess, last DCL. Ice cream on Celebrity was real (not soft serve), and served by a crew member, so no messes like on DCL.

Princess had the best adult activities. I like the way that DCL does wifi--by mb rather than time. There are obviously fewer kids on lines other than DCL. The times for the kid activities were more limited, but did include evening hours. The teen area on Princess was great. I made a point of talking to parents with kids--heard only glowing reports on both lines. Celebrity had a daily theme and most of the activities related in some way to that theme. Both lines are strict that adult only locations/activities are just that. NO kids. Princess does allow supervised kids in their fitness center and locker room. A parent is required to be at their side at all times in the fitness center. The party of 10 year olds in the locker room was a huge turn off.

DCL ships are the prettiest, best maintained, and friendliest. Princess normal cabins are tiny--you need to go to a "mini'suite" to have the space of a standard DCL cabin. The HA cabins are comparable to DCL's, and since we now need the HA facilities, the small cabins are not an issue to us. Biggest difference there is that the DCL HAs are far forward and far aft. This gives them amazing layouts, but also means you need to traverse a lot of hallway to get to the elevator, and those hallways can be full of host carts, strollers, etc. On Princess, the HA cabins are closest to the elevators. This makes them cost a little more as this is considered a preferred location, but it makes elevator access much easier. Princess maintenance is good, DCL is excellent. Honestly, my only complaint about Princess ships was that they are all beige...everywhere! IT gets boring.

Princess allows you to cancel excursions up to 72 hours before the event; DCL allows up to 72 hours before embarkation--big difference on long cruises!

I like DCL for the quality of the service and the friendliness of the staff as well as the beauty of the ship and the main stage entertainment. I do not like it for the crowds and the many unsupervised tweens running around. And of course, the cost is a negative.

I like Princess for the variety of the itineraries, the food, and the "around the ship" entertainment as well as the frequent guest return program and various ways to get onboard credit (stockholder, military, rebooking on board, etc) I loved the friendliness of some of the bartenders and around the ship staff. And, of course the prices are great.

I liked Celebrity for the food and the "around the ship" entertainment.

Bottom line--DCL's huge price increases prompted us to explore other lines. We've learned that each line has areas where they outshine the others, and we now choose cruises based on many factors, not just what DCL is offering. Prior to the price increases, I looked at DCL cruises and decided what looked good. Now I look around the world and the industry to see what's out there.

Not sure what time of the year you are looking at but when kids are out of school is always highest. I booked when the dates first came out for January 2018- 2 inside cabins for 5 night cruise for 5 people and total is $4300.00. I applied for the Disney credit card and received the $200 credit so new cruise total $4100. I purchased 41 $100 Disney Gift cards at BJ's for 94.99 each so my new cruise total was $3894.00. Since I used credit cards that offered 5% cash back I earned $194.00 with that so I cashed that in--new cruise total $3700.00. Using my Disney credit card over the past 8 months I will have enough Disney dollars to pay all onboard gratuities and extra dollars for whatever else!

As far as airfare-- I applied for the Southwest credit card, met the criteria for the bonus 40,000 points and as soon as those dates came out I booked all 5 plane tickets with points so my total was $11 per person. Point of post-- where there is a will there is a way- hope it works out for you and your family. I personally don't feel there is any comparison between Disney and Carnival-I would sail Royal Caribbean or Norwegian before them.

WOW! Smart, smart, smart!!! And a good deal! About $750 per night. That's a good target. Our first cruise was that price, and our more recent ones on DCL have been around $900 per night.

To Moki'smommy:

Thank you for your extensive review. I agree on most of the points you brought up about Disney. I have to add that Disney's menu seems to have not changed for at least the past 6 years. Also, it seems the cost of a Disney cruise is a major consideration as to why some people prefer other lines. We have tried Celebrity (X) recently, and have also found the menu's do not change over the years. FYI the X Suite restaurant is Luminae. We found the Luminae menu choices somewhat limited which forced us to order off the main restaurant menu or dine in their specialty restaurant several times during our cruise.

Still, we seem to gravitate back to Disney. As they say when you board, "Welcome home"

If anyone can comment/compare NCL to Disney, this would be greatly appreciated.

I have a cruise booked for late October, with a 4 night stay at Animal Kingdom. Total price for two people 3081.10. That's a 10 night cruise, RT air, Hotel for 4 nights and two day theme park tickets for two people. That's a 16 day vacation. Luckily that's all prepaid, so all we need is spending money.

moki'smommy - (didn't want to quote the whole post). we haven't tried Celebrity yet, but it's on our To Do list. We did sail Princess in Alaska and I agree with you . I'll add that we loved Princess' anytime dining. The Dining Room host quickly learned what time we liked to eat and would reserve a table for us.

Princess' adult entertainment was better, but their main shows were amateurish. I walked out of the first show and never went back the whole cruise. I was that disappointed. Maybe Disney has really spoiled me in that regard.

Celebrity's shows were very disappointing recently. Last month, were were on a "special" Independence day cruise on Celebrity (X). In ten days, there was only one show we considered decent (a production show). The other nights, there was a comedian, a singer, a piano player, a combo of the same singer and piano player, a repeat of a magic show from the last X cruise we were on (two years earlier). Very disappointing, since the prices were higher for the cruise they were passing off as "unique". You can't beat Disney shows. RCCL, had a fabulous show (We will rock you) (on the Anthem) and other shows that were pretty decent.