Celebrity Credit Card- worth it?

octoberdana

I really wanted to like the Celebrity Card, but they have some really weird points redemption rules.

I tried to redeem points for OBC on an Azamara cruise but they told me I couldn't because I was on a "special fare". Worse, they never actually told me this. I found out once I was onboard. Worst yet, they didn't have a way to get the points back to me. It was kind of crazy.

When I finally got the points back, they told me I could not redeem them for a Celebrity Cruise (even though I was in a suite for which I paid almost $10k) because, AGAIN, it was a "special fare".

I think the card is a big scam, and not worth the money.

Were you trying to redeem the points for OBC? There should be no restriction on this use no matter what great special fare you might have.

That is a 12.5% discount, not 25%.

:confused: duh... you are correct. Let me fix that.

The chase points are worth 25% more if booking on chase's website. I just double checked what we booked yesterday. Have to fly down to FL for a funeral later this week. Booked a room nearby listed for $131. With our points, used $98 worth. Same as lowest price guarantee thru hotel's program and what I saw on a discount site.

So my initial statement should have said, the $200 hotel would run us more like $150 in point value.;)

Remember that if you use their travel site, you use 25% fewer points. A $200 hotel will use 175 in earned points. Check too which airlines programs let you transfer points from Chase to theirs. We use Southwest when we can.

Chase's car rentals are way lower than anywhere else. I always shop around with discounts in hand. We rent for our two week FL stay in Feb. each year and save at minimum $200...this year a lot more.

Using Chases site so far for us has not been cheaper, or even the same price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Using Chases site so far for us has not been cheaper, or even the same price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I use their site when I have the points accrued. But use other sites if better priced, to book travel when building up my account. The sapphire works well for us because we travel so often in our retirement years.;)

I never get a card in which the rewards are tied to one product. (Except Southwest, mainly for the 50,000 points I received when signing up.) My current cards I use -

Chase Freedom ( yes, the old one that gives you 5pts/dollar on rotating categories.) No fee

Barclay World card - 2 points per dollar on anything - I use this for purchases that I don't get extra for (ex. Doctor or hospital bills)

Amazon Signature Reward Visa - since we are prime members, we get five points per dollar on Amazon, 2 points on drug stores, and gas (these rewards can be redeemed on the Chase site)

Chase Sapphire -my go to card for 2 points in restaurants, travel

I have looked at redeeming for travel on the Chase site, however usually do better price wise by booking hotels directly, since we have AAA, HIlton honors, SPG, etc. Currently saving all of my points to pay down my next cruise, plan on having at least 2000.00 or more.

Also get additional points by online shopping thru the Chase website

Edited by jabrown40
mistake

I never get a card in which the rewards are tied to one product. (Except Southwest, mainly for the 50,000 points I received when signing up.) My current cards I use -

Chase Freedom ( yes, the old one that gives you 5pts/dollar on rotating categories.) No fee

Barclay World card - 2 points per dollar on anything - I use this for purchases that I don't get extra for (ex. Doctor or hospital bills)

Amazon Signature Reward Visa - since we are prime members, we get five points per dollar on Amazon, 2 points on drug stores, and gas (these rewards can be redeemed on the Chase site)

Chase Sapphire -my go to card for 2 points in restaurants, travel

I have looked at redeeming for travel on the Chase site, however usually do better price wise by booking hotels directly, since we have AAA, HIlton honors, SPG, etc. Currently saving all of my points to pay down my next cruise, plan on having at least 2000.00 or more.

Also get additional points by online shopping thru the Chase website

Yes combining Sapphire points with that Freedom card and if shopping online at one of their preferred stores are big plusses for Chase. I agree, if one limits to one card, sometimes you miss out on some bonuses.;)

• 6 months later...
Were you trying to redeem the points for OBC? There should be no restriction on this use no matter what great special fare you might have.

I know this was a million years ago but just seeing it now.

Yes, it was for OBC. I won’t go into the details, but dealing with these people (at Celebrity) was a nightmare. I was definitely not allowed to use it for OBC on an Azamara cruise. Then, they didn’t even want to let me use it on Celebrity when I had paid $9k for a suite. They were truly unbelievable. There rationale on denying it for the Suite was that I had received prepaid gratuities (sourced by my TA in conjunction with Celebrity). Give the card a miss!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums