Anyone Try A Pompeii Excursion On Their Own? (Naples)

GQAntigua

Hi,

Based on what I've read it seems one can take the commuter train to Pompeii and back from Naples pretty easily but I might be reading with rose colored glasses. Anyone try it? Just don't want to risk being late for the ship. I believe we are in Naples from noon to 7 PM.

Thanks,

At the last minute (and with little fanfare) our cruise offered a bus only option to Pompeii that guaranteed an on time return to the ship at a cost much less than a taxi and easier than the train. This was option was only announced the night before our stop at Pompeii.

You might plan for a taxi but watch for another last minute bus-only option from your cruise. They don't offer this option early for obvious reasons given the competition it would create for their full tour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We took the train, easy as could be. You will have plenty of time to see the sights and return to the ship.

Outside the port gate, there is a bus you take to the train station. You will need to research the bus/time, etc. It has been a few years and I can't remember the details. It is great because you can get there before the ships tours and the tons of people.

The train drops you off right at the entrance. Just be careful on the train and keep good care of your belonging, lots of pick pockets on the train and bus as well.

When we returned from Pompeii, we walked around Naples and back to the ship, so I don't know how you return via public transit.

We walked from the terminal to the train station, about 25 minute walk. Trains run quite frequently and the staff all know you are going to Herculaneum or Pompeii and usher you towards the right train. Cost about 2.5 euros return

We also walked (me and my 9 & 11 year old daughters) to the train station, took the train, took a tour with one of the local guides at the gates, finished at Pompeii took the train to Sorrento, explored a bit and took the hovercraft type boat back to Naples walked back to the ship. it was a lot of walking hot day but it was awesome.

the train stops at pompeii were right by the gates. in Sorrento it was uptown and it was about a 15 min walk through town down to the water (but the views were so worth it).

Getting the train to Pompeii is very straight forward. The train line is called Circumvesuviana.

You can buy the combined tram/bus/Circumvesuviana ticket from the newspaper kiosk on the corner of Piazza Municipio and Via Cristoforo Columbo. As you leave the cruise terminal walk straight across the parking/drop off area to the road and the kiosk is in front of you. The tram stop is in the middle of the road close to the kiosk.

You can see it all on Google street view.

Just one other point, we found it better to get on the train at the Circumvesuviana terminus rather than the first stop (main train station) as it was virtually full as it left and folk getting on at the main station struggled to get a seat.