Venice Airport and the new EU security rules

swanmark

Hi guys, we are cruising on the Star out of Venice on the 10th September, and I have been reading a lot of reports about the chaos at EU airports due to the new EU security rules. has anyone experienced any problems at Venice due to this ?

We flew in and out last month from the star. Ok here goes, coming in was easy, the line was longer than expected but we were lining up 1 uk flight and 2 USA ones in the same area, they put the USA left to face to face checks and uk right to e-passport gates but everyone was through in 15 minutes. Coming out is another story. Get yourself to the airport with plenty of time to spare. If you're international you need to be there 3 hours before anyway. We checked in and it took about 35 minutes to get to the front. The line for security said 40 minutes and we were through in 45 but the line for passport control was ridiculous. It snaked the full terminal with at least 500 to 800 people in it. Then we discovered if you were uk you ignored that line and walked to the left of it and we're through in 10 minutes, but our flight was boarding by this time and we'd only had 5 minutes to grab water. So if you're not uk, get yourself there in plenty of time and get in that line. They did start shouting for flights to bring people forward and there was no signage but there are staff in tshirts to ask for assistance who all speak English and get you through

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi guys, we are cruising on the Star out of Venice on the 10th September, and I have been reading a lot of reports about the chaos at EU airports due to the new EU security rules. has anyone experienced any problems at Venice due to this ?

I think it also depends where you are going. We flew out of Rome today, after our Epic cruise, and I was expecting similar chaos and was shocked to find that if you're flying to another Schengen nation you don't have to go through Passport control. With that said though, walking to our section of our terminal, we walked past an absolute insane line for what I believe was passport control immediately after security, and it was crawling heading into the section of the terminal where international flights were departing. If you're going to a non-EU/Schengen nation I would give yourself more time than you think you need.

Just spotted another post that says you're uk. So when you get through security there are shops left and right. Go straight forward and if there is a long line, cut through it to the other side (so you're to the left of them) and look at passport control, you'll see uk use e gates.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What are new rules and when did they pass? I flew to Rome and bAck in April and it seemed similiar to summer 2015.

Thanks

Kerri

The EU is attempting to toughen up border control after recent terrorist activity, anyone outside the EU travel area will be subject to enhanced security. Coupled with this there has been some industrial action ... bottom line is nightmare delays for travellers.

Interestingly, the travel area includes countries outside the EU, Iceland for instance! Many in the UK think there is a political motive too.

IMO security and clearing customs has always been a lot fo trouble coming from Europe to the US. I have not seen any reports that it is any worse than before, just be prepared to take things out of your carry ons and put them in bins.

IMO security and clearing customs has always been a lot fo trouble coming from Europe to the US. I have not seen any reports that it is any worse than before, just be prepared to take things out of your carry ons and put them in bins.

Agreed, sure the situation is no different from arrival border control at many US airports. .... in the past have had bad delays at Kennedy, Newark, LAX and Las Vegas! However the current situation is affecting departures too.