About to book - current status on gratuities?

skudy

a good place to start is to read the norwegian cruise line , Guest ticket contract chapter 3a and c https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Guest_Ticket_Contract_04-2017_2.pdf

You also need to read the language in Chapter 2, that indicates that the GTC is the sole agreement between the guest and the cruise line and it supersedes anything that the guest may/may not have previously read or have been told. IOW, you agree that NCL can be held to nothing that may/may not appear on the web site or anywhere else for that matter. Only the contract can be considered.

Where is the half right part? It is 100% right that the DSC is optional and can be removed.

Re-read the OP's comment. He was asking if SINCE there was nothing on the website about gratuities (service charges) would THAT enable him or her to remove the gratuities (service charges)? I was pointing out that he DID have the ability to remove the service charge but it had nothing to do with the website omission. He has that ability because NCL gives it to every cruiser, website omissions or not.

Perhaps you disagree. Do you need to prove that the website is in error to get gratuities removed?

Just thought I would mention, I paid the balance on our upcoming NCL cruise today. We live in Canada as well and booked in Canadian funds. It was booked back when the gratuity rate was $13.50 US per person, but has gone up to $13.99 US per person now. I had the option when paying the balance today, to pre-pay the gratuities at the lower rate since the cruise was booked prior to April 1st. Only problem came when I looked at the amount that NCL wanted, it was in Canadian funds and even though they were offering me the lower $13.50 rate, the exchange rate was horrendous, about 35%, thus coming out to over $18+ per day Canadian. It will be cheaper to pay the new higher rate when we sail in US funds on our credit card and let the credit card do the exchange for us (plus we can use our OBC to put towards the gratuities).

Gratuities may not be much for some people, but when you pay for a family of 6 on a 10 day cruise, it turns out to be over $1100 for us.

Just thought I would mention, I paid the balance on our upcoming NCL cruise today. We live in Canada as well and booked in Canadian funds. It was booked back when the gratuity rate was $13.50 US per person, but has gone up to $13.99 US per person now. I had the option when paying the balance today, to pre-pay the gratuities at the lower rate since the cruise was booked prior to April 1st. Only problem came when I looked at the amount that NCL wanted, it was in Canadian funds and even though they were offering me the lower $13.50 rate, the exchange rate was horrendous, about 35%, thus coming out to over $18+ per day Canadian. It will be cheaper to pay the new higher rate when we sail in US funds on our credit card and let the credit card do the exchange for us (plus we can use our OBC to put towards the gratuities).

Gratuities may not be much for some people, but when you pay for a family of 6 on a 10 day cruise, it turns out to be over $1100 for us.

That's a significant chunk of money. I wonder if you can keep an eye on the NCL exchange rate vs the CAD / USD exchange rate and go ahead and prepay anytime prior to the cruise starting. The rates have been pretty volatile over the past year.

-Jy9Aqb0_bUZGlDqSkJM98QEiSiDv4jZIyMH8UKVOnu103nwCQm7Eb9NuAVHZ3OGQFpBnYnmsTz74gkqEM_GJy9lk9TwJb8oOTzhTL-L8UkgrZALRi07WDG3JlcCVm_CypDtp9FjCIvN1nWiJxGRcavxDa6Gelgofe-wsuaV3JeeGGUV8tld9UhKYGoemANB1GEok8yQR-peqLJLiRcEfWdHhbfZiG1coH4VENkxsU829U2kDeQa1fGFYZ72TSpE_NDgRw6k5Ayi-If-WLEDP6sqA3MB1IN_9SZqlO9a_BSHXC1g3deJm7KyrZbn31l5SP5efw-uhgFyIimmrXXU6BmdmOMYs7eyxGslIvCWJxdc9E4OScPMLw6aozE7jdpH8CtcQqRrxyQkg_9vCqNHWuUICniFg7cf2KuTBhmOjMO768BNF4WBjQ4Gcevvj9r0ptJv8FfNokYsCkTPrtBfbMVZOHC1yFhT-qmmswDwP2FCT0pBMP7Fl0HmGmxfuCf3jTUJjNqF_p4YRjATQYXES7tpTFvCzs1p3Nc4O_lobfM0sYfjeFT1dEe31LXugTBcADjJDYksI-CT6WfH_thISCF5GOAHF9VlMpEQHOjjdSOyH41MF1St=w462-h250-no