River tubing in Jamaica...

ZIPBAGS

My wife and I went in 11/03. Had a great time - highly recommended. Alot depends on the weather. If it is warm, you'll have a better time because the water will cool you off.

I think you're kids would enjoy it. There were lots of kids on our trip.

Starts with a 45 minute drive up a mountain where you start the tubing. They prepare you by fitting you with a life vest and paddle then asking what you'd like to drink for the break (water, soda, Red Stripe, etc). Leave whatever you don't want getting wet in the van - it will be there waiting for you at the end. Also put on sunscreen. Then you go over to where they help you into your tube and your journey begins.

They have several guides that travel with you, helping you when/if you get stuck on the sides or in low water (that's what the paddles are for).

I think the trip is roughly an hour or so - plus a short break where they unload the coolers and pass you the drink of your choice.

No real "rapids" that I remember. I few faster moving portions but you need no previous experience.

At the end of the trip you get out of the tubes and there is a place to buy BBQ jerk chicken, beer and sodas. They also have a rope swing which you can use to take the "Nestea Plunge" - if you're so inclined. The vans pick you up and back to the ship.

We booked independently. There were only 8 of us. The RCCL group came behind us (about 30 min) and they did not get the personal attention we did. There group was about 30 ppl.

We had Rumble as a guide. He was wonderful! He even took us to a "cliff" (really it was the edge of the river, about 15 ft up) for us to jump off of. It was probably our favorite excursion on the Western Caribbean.

Kids were 7 and 12. We did this in August. Very gentle, nothing too fast. Kids LOVED IT!!!

we did this excursion a couple of years ago through RCCL and we all really enjoyed it! The drive there was an experience--the kids got to see a jamaican school and homes. The water was very calm and we did stop at a place with a rope swing and we all tried it out. Our kids were 8 and 11 at the time. you will definitely enjoy it! have fun! lilli

outrageous!!! I wanted to do it again.... except that my tube got punctured on a rock and deflated...i was given the guides tube which had no bottom---and my bottom got scratched up!!! but it was an incredible experience..my kids loved it..and my friends 4 kids loved it too....the guides were great....enjoy and let us know how it was

River tubing was the best excursion we took on our Mariner cruise this spring. We booked independently through Chukka tours, and only had 6 people (our family) and 2 guides in our group instead of the huge RCCL group that came about 45 minutes after us. Our tour guides had taken lunch and Red Stripe orders for us before we departed, and when we got off the river, we had lunch waiting for us.

A great time!

• 4 weeks later...

We just did the river tubing a couple of weeks ago thru Princess, I would imagine that it is the same tour. Very fun. The water is a little cold at first, but, we would definitely do it again! You have life jackets on and the tour guides are there to pull you out of the trees and the sides of the banks. It was very safe. Make sure that you buy your water shoes at home before you leave (Wal-Mart, Target, etc).

I've done it both ways, once through RCI with adults and once independently through Peat Taylor with two small children. Both were very good, but if I were to do it again, I'd book privately. It cost less (about half), was much more informative, a completely different part of the river, and much more attentive with only our group of 4. IMO it's one of the better excursions in the Caribbean.

LNF

Archived