Invest 91L

tyeomans

Our cruise is finally less than 2 weeks out. (Only 13 more days!) We are sailing out of Galveston on Aug. 26, and here comes peak hurricane season! I've just now started keeping an eye on the weather, and I've read rumblings about Invest 91L. Any weather/hurricane gurus out there have any more info? I pray that it doesn't reach Galveston on the 26th... What kind of luck would that be?! Hoping it steers back out east like Gert!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

We sailed on the Dream last August and were rerouted due to a hurricane. So instead of the Bahamas route, we visited Costa Maya, Roatan, and Cozumel. Not ideal, but we were still on a ship and had a great time! In fact, it ranks as one of our favorites due to the people we met and the staff. So, worst case scenario, you'll get an itinerary change. But, hey, you're still on a cruise! :DHave a great time! :)

Our cruise is finally less than 2 weeks out. (Only 13 more days!) We are sailing out of Galveston on Aug. 26, and here comes peak hurricane season! I've just now started keeping an eye on the weather, and I've read rumblings about Invest 91L. Any weather/hurricane gurus out there have any more info? I pray that it doesn't reach Galveston on the 26th... What kind of luck would that be?! Hoping it steers back out east like Gert!

http://www.weather.com

I copied this from today's weather.com report:

The good news is that we have plenty of time to monitor the progress of Invest 91L since it's not expected to reach the longitude of the Lesser Antilles until next weekend. It's far too early to determine any impacts on those islands or any other location farther down road since there is uncertainty surrounding this system's exact future track and strength.

(MORE: Hurricane Central)

Myself, I'd rather bet on a slot machine than the weather report.

Your only real issue is if it or any storms head to the upper Texas coast or Galveston in particular. The ship can go around a storm or re-route it's port of calls but as the port area around the Galveston terminal especially Harborside floods. So just keep that in mind when you park.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I'm seriously going to cry if this thing ends up in or by Galveston on the 26th and closes the port. I've been anxiously waiting for this day since Christmas, and how much more unlucky can this get......

It's just the chance you take when booking this time of year!

Please, try not to panic now ... too early to tell.

I'm sailing out of Mobile on the 26th as well, I'm also in a slight panic... It looks like if it does the gulf, it'll be a day or two before (if my math is correct looking at the different models).

What do you mean a day or two before? A day or two before it reaches the Gulf?

What do you mean a day or two before? A day or two before it reaches the Gulf?

Meaning it looks like in the models were it does reach the coast it would be the 24th or 25th so hopefully before we sail out.

That being said, the models are all over the place and none seem very reliable, I'm going to try not to pay attention to it for a few days lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here's a link that I use all through the Hurricane Season, both for cruising and home.

http://spaghettimodels.com/

We live on the East Coast of FL, so up to date info is very useful. I also NHC, ( http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ ) as that is the "Official" info site.

As for cruising, unless a storm is approaching your port of departure at the time you are scheduled to embark, there should be only a change to the itinerary. It is still a cruise, so enjoy.

On our first cruise, we had a HC bearing down on St. Thomas as we departed there for Miami. The Captain took us on a very Southern route near PR, DR, and Cuba, as the storm moved North. We missed any bad weather or seas.

Edited by jwjax

We sailed on the Dream last August and were rerouted due to a hurricane. So instead of the Bahamas route, we visited Costa Maya, Roatan, and Cozumel. Not ideal, but we were still on a ship and had a great time! In fact, it ranks as one of our favorites due to the people we met and the staff. So, worst case scenario, you'll get an itinerary change. But, hey, you're still on a cruise! :DHave a great time! :)

That's not a bad switch! Two good ports and one that's pretty decent!