Inside or Outside Cabin????

BermudaBell

My husband and I are looking into taking our first cruise in the next few months. I have started to try to figure out what line, ship and ports we would like to go to.

We will be going with our two children aged 5 and 11.

What I am wondering is if you think we will be okay in inside cabin? I am worried that I will get claustrophobic with an inside one. I really like the idea of having a window but will we really be in the cabin enough to realize we have a window? What is the average price difference between having an inside or outside cabin? Is the window view worth the money?

Also, what level of the ship should we try to get on? I have heard that being lower is worst than being up higher.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Do you get claustrophobic at home? If so, then yes, you should at least get an oceanview room. Or if you are looking at RCI's Voyager class, a promenade room.

The difference between and inside and outside will depend on the ship and the sailing.

As to whether a higher deck is better than a lower deck, if you are prone to motion sickness, or worried about motion sickness, the best place to be on the ship is on a LOWER deck midships. You will feel more movement the higher up you go.

We will be going with our two children aged 5 and 11.

What I am wondering is if you think we will be okay in inside cabin? I am worried that I will get claustrophobic with an inside one. I really like the idea of having a window but will we really be in the cabin enough to realize we have a window? What is the average price difference between having an inside or outside cabin? Is the window view worth the money?

Also, what level of the ship should we try to get on? I have heard that being lower is worst than being up higher.

Another thing to consider is where you will be sailing to.

If you are going thru the Panama Canal, a balcony would be super.

If you are doing a less picturesque cruise, an inside cabin would

probably be fine.

That is unless you are actually claustrophobic. Then, definitely get

at least a window on a lower deck. Lower, mid ship, is better

if you are concerned at all about sea-sickness.

The price difference can be substantial, but that depends upon your

selection of cruise, cabin, etc. There really is a lot of homework to

be done here.

Whether it is worth the money or not, must be your judgment. We all

are so different in what we need. With two small children, you may

need extra space, but only you can determine that.

We don't spend anymore time in a cabin than necessary to dress, sleep,

and get out of there onto the excitement of the ship and ports. So, we

opt for the least expensive way to go.

Good luck on your first cruise - it is a delightful vacation, and very

addictive!

Happy Cruising

SailAways :)

The other thing you should consider is the Children's programs. How late they run and what cost for extra babysitting while you and hubby enjoy one evening alone.

Inside is okay if you do not stay in your cabin and have no problem with claustophia. Low and mid-ship is best for less motion. (Hint if kid's get car sick they will get sea sick, ask doctor for recommendations plus bring ginger pills).

Since you are travelling with children, please explain that some pools and hot tubs are restricted but the kid's club is their area. (Bash me now if you wish). You should also consider their likes and dislikes ie do they like beaches and swimming. Boat rides, (tenders do go from the ship to the land sometimes). or are they the ones that like crawling around in Museums. My kids liked rock quarries but hated shopping.

I've had inside cabin only once - and I got extremely claustrophobic. Tried to change cabins, but all were full.

I like either OV or porthole cabins. Much less expensive than balcony cabins, and you're able to "see the sea", which I love!:)

I prefer OV, but never book one. I always book an inside guaranty & 99% of the time I am upgraded to OV. The time or 2 I have stayed in an inside it is NO problem at all. I would never pay a substantial amount of $$ for the difference. Perhaps if it is nominal (under $30 total, not PP).

One way I would compare an inside room is this, I absolutely love the sunshine in my home, windows open, being able to see the fantastic mountains outside my home. But I also find great relaxation in going into my bedroom, with the shades drawn, it is peaceful to me and not confining in any way. That is how you will feel in an inside cabin. If you just think of it as a bedroom with the blinds drawn, you will be fine, and you will save the extra money! ( We actually like the darkness factor in an inside cabin, then we can catch a nap at any time of the day) depending how much sleep we (didn't) get the night before! I am also clausterphobic (sp!) a little bit, but inside cabins have never bothered me. HTH!

• 3 weeks later...

we just came back from a majesty of the seas RCCL cruise. there were 4 adults in an inside quad room cabin and they hated it. they were squished, had no place to unpack their clothes and they were very claustraphobic. you can see a picture of it if you click under my signature to get to my pictures.

there are 2 beds and then above the beds are 2 beds that fold down above the 2 beds from the wall. as you can see there is not much walking room in the cabin. on the right of the cabin is a tiny closet and a tiny desk. on the left is the bathroom.

we were also on the 6th floor in the middle of the ship and there was a jogging track above us and it sounded like herds of elephants on our heads all times of the day and night.

I Had This Same Concern Before My Cruise And After So Many Plans And Having To Cancel A Cruise With A Window Due To The Hurricane. Last Minute I Booked An Interior Room (there Was Nothing Much Available) But In The 9th Floor.

I Was Very Worried And My Husband Is Kind Of Claustrophobic. But Honestly It Turned Out No Big Deal At All. I Think It Makes A Difference When You Book Interior But In The Higher Levels. And Also The Window Issue Was Not An "issue" At All.

The Room Attendants Made Our Room Daily So Comfortable That I Forgot About The Window Issue. I Went In Royal Ca. So I Guess Some Cruise Lines Are Different And Some Might Not Be Too Comfortable I Guess.

I Would Not Worry At All And Go For It. I Was So Pleased With My Cruise That Now Im Planning Another One Very Soon And The Dates Are Kind Of Expensive (june) So I Would Probably Go With The Interior Again. Oh, And My Husband Loved It! :d

I WENT WITH 2 TODDLERS. AND I THINK THE INTERIOR ROOM WORKS FINE WHEN THE ADDITIONAL BED IS A SOFA BED. SOME ROOMS HAVE THOSE BEDS AS DESCRIBED BY ANOTHER PERSON HERE ON TOP OF THE OTHER BED

THAT MUST BE UNCOMFORTABLE ESPECIALLY WITH 4 ADULTS.:rolleyes:

We sailed to Alaska with an inside cabin and LOVED it.

Of course we were on a budget, and all things being equal I'd take a balcony. But that was more expensive.

We were 4 in a cabin. Me, my wife, my 16-year old son and my 12-year old daughter. No problems. Instead of a window, we simply kept the TV on the webcam channel. We could then see whatever was in front of the ship. At night, the screen gets dark and gradually gets lighter as the sun rises.

We spent very littel time in the cabin. We spent a lot of time on deck and could easily move from one side of the ship to other to see whatever was on either side --- smething you can't do in most cabins.

Cruising Alaska on a Budget

Detailed information to assist you in preparing for an Alaska cruise on a budget.

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/alaska.html

I'm claustrophobic and will never book an inside. A TV is still a TV, it's not a window. If you don't have claustraphobia, its very hard to imagine what it's like, but to me I actually feel like I am sufficating(breathing literally becomes a problem, very much like a panic attack). It's not a view thing, it's a closed in feeling and watching TV does not help.

Also, many people will say "how much time do you spend in your cabin anyway". Well if I have an inside I won't spend ANY there!!! :eek: Truthfully, I enjoy having the cabin as a bit of a retreat every now and then. I paid for it, so why shouldn't I use it?

Seriously though, if you have a fear of feeling claustraphobic, I'd just watch for a deal and get at least an ocean view.

Hi,:) I have sailed inside, window and balcony.

The balcony was on a special so I took it. But I am one of those

folks who has never been bothered by being inside.

I always (ALWAYS) go for the cheapest;) I sail solo 90% of the time

so the prices are more for me. Being on my own, I really only use

the cabin for sleeping, showering and changing clothes.

I have had a balcony twice....and to be totally honest I never used it.

That is just me. I am always out and about....sitting at the bar at

the pool....the martini bar, the lounge somewhere....do you see a pattern

here?:D

Anyway, enjoy your cruise......whatever cabin you decide to book!

WHO SAYS that caps means yelling? My god........... Ill pretend I did not read that.:confused: :cool:

Anyways..:rolleyes: . My husband is claustrophobic, he gets those symptoms described aboved in elevators if they are taking too long etc. etc. And that was my concern with the interior room. But its not like your going into a closet, its an actual "bedroom" decorated and made comfortable daily so this is why we had no trouble whatsoever and my husband enjoyed the cruise to the fullest. My sister just went on NCL america to Hawaii and she told me that her room was never made and the rooms were tight. So maybe in such situations anyone could feel as if they were trapped in a closet.

Some people can sail an Inside cabin; others can't. If the choice is between IV & staying home, IV is fine. If you can afford the OV, that would be my preference. Especially with 4 people in a room; it will be tight & the window /extra light will help. The cost savings on the 3rd & 4th passangers may enable you to get a more expensive cabin than you think.

To summarize the best suggestions:

1. If you get IV, turn on the TV to the port cam to at least know what's going on outside.

2. Don't spend too much time in your cabin.

3. Book a IV guarentee & keep your fingers crossed. The upgrade fairy does exist. :)

As for the deck, conventional wisdom says mid ship has the least amount of motion. It's the fulcrum so it's not as effected by the waves as much. Barring that, I couldn't really tell the difference. Some people say stay away from the engine room. Others tell you to avoid being under or next to bars / nighclubs. Others will never again stay on or below the promonade deck b/c they were disturned by the walkers.

Enjoy.

WHO SAYS that caps means yelling? My god........... Ill pretend I did not read that.:confused: :cool:

Hi Julie, and welcome to the boards. Since you're a newbie here, maybe you're also new to computer language? Not putting you down, BUT just for your info:

Typing is all caps IS considered shouting in computer-ese.

Just turn your caps lock off and stay and play with us. :)

You really want a cabin that has, at minimum, 170 square feet. Much smaller than that, you will not have a good time, you will be battling for standing room. That's about the size of a small secondary bedroom in many homes built today and it includes the closet and bathroom. If you think the 4 of you can tolerate that for a week, go for it! The cabins are small, but very well laid out, after the first day or so, you're really more comfortable than you thought you would be when you first entered the cabin. The first sight is always a shock!

Probably the best family cabin we have shared with our 2 kids was the one on Disney Magic. There was a bath and a half in that cabin and it made a huge difference while getting ready in the morning, or for dinner in the evening.

Our kids are older now, so we book two cabins when we can. It does make the difference in a great cruise or one where we are bickering at each other.

While we prefer outside cabins, if all we can afford is an inside (or the kids inside, us out) we still have a great time.

with the kodak gallery. i pulled itup and then cut and pasted the weblink into my signature block.

Thanks!

I thought that people would be able to access my personal settings that way. Guess not!

I will try one here.

Costa Maya

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?&mode=fromsite&collid=27363280207.33885024407.1135356502043&conn_speed=1

Would someone let me know if it works?

Thanks!

Archived