Cancer Sticks - Well, sort of...

Cruise Monkey

Will be on the Carnival Paradise for a B2B in June and was wondering where I could purchase authentic Cuban cigars (for use on the ship only, of course) while in port in Ensenada. I don't mind paying a little more for authentic Cubans, as long as they are REAL and I don't get too screwed on the price. Any reputable establishments would be appreciated (preferably somewhere by the port if possible).

Thanks in advance.

Actualy, I'm pretty sure that the ship does not/cannot carry Cubans because they port in the US. I know that no Carnival ship I've ever been on has carried Cubans, so I can't imagine it would be different for the Paradise.

To the OP, you will probably have trouble finding authentic, low-priced Cubans in any cruise port ... but good luck. :)

Actualy, I'm pretty sure that the ship does not/cannot carry Cubans because they port in the US. I know that no Carnival ship I've ever been on has carried Cubans, so I can't imagine it would be different for the Paradise.

To the OP, you will probably have trouble finding authentic, low-priced Cubans in any cruise port ... but good luck. :)

Ok, maybe I didn't make myself clear, let me rephrase my post. Can anyone recommend any cigar store in Ensenada that carries authentic cubans. They DON'T have to be low-priced, just real.

Thanks.

Much to my displeasure :(

You can buy Cuban's at any foreign port...except for Cuba, ironically.

1600 post, I'm so proud of myself...sniff...snif...:rolleyes:

Actually, you can buy Cuban cigars in Cuba; after all, that is where they are made. But as a U.S. citizen, you cannot legally go to Cuba, nor can you legally buy/import any Cuban products (ie. cigars). So sad :(..

Ok, maybe I didn't make myself clear, let me rephrase my post. Can anyone recommend any cigar store in Ensenada that carries authentic cubans. They DON'T have to be low-priced, just real.

Thanks.

LOL, sorry I don't have an answer, but yeah this thread went off the rails real quick.

If you need help on the authentic go to this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=230118&highlight=cuban+cigars for links on how to spot fakes.

Yes that is really true, as a United State citizen you can not legally go to Cuba except for a few exceptions. The exceptions are for journalists and educational purposes. Until recently, the educational exception was carte blanche but the authorities have cracked down on that one. I am not sure what the penatlies are for visiting Cuba but I recall that they are fairly severe.

Yes that is really true, as a United State citizen you can not legally go to Cuba except for a few exceptions.

That's interesting. I have never wanted or needed to go, but for some reason it irks (sp?) me that I am not allowed to: freedoms blah blah. I searched and found a way around it: like I said, I don't intend to go, but I like the idea that there is a way to go if I really wanted to.

"People under U.S. jurisdiction sometimes take advantage of the fact that they can travel to and from Mexico using a government issued photo ID and proof of citizenship. They still need a passport to enter and leave Cuba. Returning to Mexico, they bury their passport and any evidence that they visited Cuba. When they re-enter the U.S. they use a photo ID (i.e. driver's license) and proof of citizenship (i.e. birth certificate, naturalization papers, green card)."

That's interesting. I have never wanted or needed to go, but for some reason it irks (sp?) me that I am not allowed to: freedoms blah blah. I searched and found a way around it: like I said, I don't intend to go, but I like the idea that there is a way to go if I really wanted to.

"People under U.S. jurisdiction sometimes take advantage of the fact that they can travel to and from Mexico using a government issued photo ID and proof of citizenship. They still need a passport to enter and leave Cuba. Returning to Mexico, they bury their passport and any evidence that they visited Cuba. When they re-enter the U.S. they use a photo ID (i.e. driver's license) and proof of citizenship (i.e. birth certificate, naturalization papers, green card)."

Actually, when I was in Key West, FL about 5 years ago (ahh, that was fun), I heard that people would get a fisherman/fisherwoman (to make everyone happy) to take them to Cuba - about 90 miles from Key West. Then they would have Cuba put their stamp on a sheet that the person had placed in their passport so they could dispose of it when they came back to the U.S. I don't know if this is true, but I could see people doing it. I suppose that if you go to another country first (after leaving the U.S.), then you could travel to Cuba and do the same.

Never been to Cuba, but after they open it up, it's going to be a big vacation island (guess we'll have to wait for Castro to step down (yea right) or die). I've heard that hotels are already buying/planning to buy land there when it happens. It's funny, if you look at a map and see where the cruise ships go, they basically go to the islands around Cuba, but not to Cuba itself. Just an observation....

I'm not a smoker myself, but the OP was interested in where to buy cuban cigars while in Ensenada - this is NOT illegal - you only can't purchase them in the US and can't bring them back into the US at the end of the cruise. I did a quick search and came up with this link -----

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/Mexico/Estado_de_Baja_California_Norte/Ensenada-950831/Shopping-Ensenada-BR-1.html

Scroll down to the one that says "La Habana Tabaqueria" and you should be able to find what you are looking for.

Hope this helps! Enjoy!

Let me preface this by saying that I really don't have any opinion about what people do out of the country...Heck, I'd like to see Cuba myself, but I think it is illegal for any American to buy anything that is from Cuba. No matter where you are. Unless it is a cigar that was in the US before the trade embargo...

So no, it's not illegal to look for where they are sold but it is illegal to buy them. Somebody came up with a good link from a government source on a thread I saw months ago talking about Cubans in Cozumel and that's where I read about it. There was something of a debate there...

"Cuba does still put out some good cigars. I hear very good things about the Trinidad Reyes Habana. being a patriotic law-abiding American, I won't be able to try one until Cuba goes back to capitalism "

One doesn't have to wonder too much about why the rest of the world hates us so much - since when do we think we have the right to tell other countries what the financial basis for their country should be? Why do we always think WE ARE THE CHOSEN RIGHT??? I love America, but Jeez, people we have no right to tell others what to do.

Let me preface this by saying that I really don't have any opinion about what people do out of the country...Heck, I'd like to see Cuba myself, but I think it is illegal for any American to buy anything that is from Cuba. No matter where you are. Unless it is a cigar that was in the US before the trade embargo...

That was informative. Thanks.

Actually, you can buy Cuban cigars in Cuba; after all, that is where they are made. But as a U.S. citizen, you cannot legally go to Cuba, nor can you legally buy/import any Cuban products (ie. cigars). So sad :(..

Actually, actually, you CAN legally go to Cuba, you just can't spend any money there ! !

So no, it's not illegal to look for where they are sold but it is illegal to buy them. Somebody came up with a good link from a government source on a thread I saw months ago talking about Cubans in Cozumel and that's where I read about it. There was something of a debate there...

Its not illegal to buy Cuban products, including cigars.....It is illegal to bring them into the country.

"Cuba does still put out some good cigars. I hear very good things about the Trinidad Reyes Habana. being a patriotic law-abiding American, I won't be able to try one until Cuba goes back to capitalism "

One doesn't have to wonder too much about why the rest of the world hates us so much - since when do we think we have the right to tell other countries what the financial basis for their country should be? Why do we always think WE ARE THE CHOSEN RIGHT??? I love America, but Jeez, people we have no right to tell others what to do.

Sure.

However, the American government does have the right to tell American citizens what to do, and that includes telling us not to purchase anything produced in Cuba.

That, and you quoted my message out of context, by cutting off the smiley at the end. :mad:

Archived