Sitmar Cruise Lines/Florence & Howard Gellman

Guest debbiejohncruise

My first cruise was on Fairsea when I was 8. This was the last family vacation before the divorce-maybe they planned it to soften the blow;) . It worked-I have such great memories of that trip! Our waiter (Giovanni I think) would always say to me, " I'm a watchin' you!" He was so kind-I looked forward to seeing him at dinner (maybe I had a little crush!) The horse races were a blast, our room steward always put my stuffed animals on my bunk for me at bed time, my older brother and I being able to go off by ourselves and have pizza and ice cream, and see a movie-I felt so grown up!! The memories are so clear it's like it was yesterday! I am so glad I stumbled upon this thread-it's great to think about those times-what a great ship! I wish it were around to take my kids on (no pre divorce trip:D ) The cruises just don't seem as personal anymore-still always fun though!! Anyway, thanks again for the memories.

was in the movie Beaches, co starred in the Karen Valentine show, wrote for Mork n Mindy...is still alive..for all I can find out..Best ship ever..6 with 13 glasses, 1 ashtray,2 scarves that staff wore, 1 workers tshirt, b4 t's were even thought of! and a passport book..used to drive to Ft Laud to visit on board..also visited a purser in Naples in 77/78..back to cruising..5 since Nov 06, one nxt week, and one in Apr..looking at Sept..Holiday reminds me of FW, so I think that's why I love her! cozy and some outside deck to walk..yep she ruined me..did BOS 10 day in Jan...nevah agin!..Potenzoni married a pax n rtd in Fla i think..judi

Speaking of movies. If you've ever seen "Never Say Never Again" with Sean Connery as an older James Bond. Well it was filmed partially in the Bahamas and in one of the scenes you can see the Fairwind off in the distance.

Just a touch of movie trivia and a means to see the Fairwind. Shame both her and the Fairsea are long gone and are just wonderful fond memories. Sailed on both of them twice.

Ron

• 1 month later...

I havent visited this particular board in a while..tho now have over 700 posts (325, in another name) since last aug. I found your name and CC on the Alan Kent ..I have started back cruising, since 18 trips abroad , and land trips to Ak.these past years. I've been re-infected w/cruise-a-holics disease. & in 6 mos. 3..poss a 4th by years end. I booked 8 more this week, for next year. In my heart they are all still with the TSS Fairwind !..That's why I still prefer small boats. ie: The Holiday/Mobile..I'm only 100 miles away, price is fab, and I hv to pay single supp..I still have Circolo Book, 13 rock Glasses in the banded box/gray flanel bag, Circolo (lg rd) ashtray, a small one from the cabin, key chain,menues, pix w/captains, pg were free! Red Buttons and Henny Youngman autographs..remember when "STARS" were the entertainment as the usual thing?..Steve Cassel CD on Holiday now worked Sitmar in Calif. Roger Blums mom, Ethel(travel writer) son was Jr purser, in the later 70's, is now head of ent for CCL. Small world. So glad I chkd bk in on this board Ron...thanks for the extra Alan Kent info...judi..gosh I shudda read my prev post bk..sorry for the repeat..j

I havent visited this particular board in a while..tho now have over 700 posts (325, in another name) since last aug. I found your name and CC on the Alan Kent ..I have started back cruising, since 18 trips abroad , and land trips to Ak.these past years. I've been re-infected w/cruise-a-holics disease. & in 6 mos. 3..poss a 4th by years end. I booked 8 more this week, for next year. In my heart they are all still with the TSS Fairwind !..That's why I still prefer small boats. ie: The Holiday/Mobile..I'm only 100 miles away, price is fab, and I hv to pay single supp..I still have Circolo Book, 13 rock Glasses in the banded box/gray flanel bag, Circolo (lg rd) ashtray, a small one from the cabin, key chain,menues, pix w/captains, pg were free! Red Buttons and Henny Youngman autographs..remember when "STARS" were the entertainment as the usual thing?..Steve Cassel CD on Holiday now worked Sitmar in Calif. Roger Blums mom, Ethel(travel writer) son was Jr purser, in the later 70's, is now head of ent for CCL. Small world. So glad I chkd bk in on this board Ron...thanks for the extra Alan Kent info...judi..gosh I shudda read my prev post bk..sorry for the repeat..j

nice to meet you. i truly wished that saitmar was still around for i'd still be sailing with them instead or RCCI. When Princess bought them should have let it run independently just as carnival now does with princess. problem was all princess wanted from sitmar was their ships.

Ron

nice to meet you. i truly wished that saitmar was still around for i'd still be sailing with them instead or RCCI. When Princess bought them should have let it run independently just as carnival now does with princess. problem was all princess wanted from sitmar was their ships.

Ron

Ron, that last Sitmar ship is about to leave as well...the Regal.:(

I found my yellow T.S.S Fairsea sweatshirt today in an old trunk.:) I washed it....and I'm taking it with me next month. A couple of old Sitmar people still work on the Caribbean Princess. I want to see if I get a comment.;)

• 1 month later...

Just came off of the Caribbean Princess and were thrilled to have the chance to share some memories about when I worked with Captain Romano for Sitmar. At the time we were both 20+ years younger and he was a safety officer. I had some photos with me and he remembered everyone in the photos names. What a hoot. The I found a waiter who also worked on Sitmar though I didn't know him at the time. We arranged it so we would have his table every night even though we had the "anytime dining". Just like the old days when service was awesome, he simply overheard me say to my husband "oh, I remember 'swan chantillys'" and in two seconds I had some swan chantillys sitting in front of me in addition to my regular desert! He got such a kick out of my photos....he was showing the other waiters and maitre 'd the photos and saying look at all those lobsters on the buffet and that was when we used real linens ...he was so proud!

I have lots of Sitmar stuff from wallets, game show t-shirts to the scarves we wore, our uniforms (though I would never be able to fit into them now:eek: )! Most importantly I still have my name tags, my ID (though it is fading) and all of my wonderful memories. Our waiter used to "goof" and make too much caesar salad at a passenger table or have one too many chocolate souffles and then sneak them to me. YUM! While cruise staff ate in the main dining room we were not allowed to order thing to be prepared table side. But our waiter always found a way to let us have some! I miss Sitmar, but my recent Princess trip sure brought back memories. You do all know that Princess will count your past Sitmar cruises towards their Captains Circle levels, don't you? Definitely something you should have them do for you...all you have to do is tell them when and where you sailed. It helps if you have something in writing...but if you simply write it out the loyalty person on board will usually (not always) input it into the computer for you even without any verification.

Nice Memories! Our first cruise was a 10 day carribean on Fairwind with on 18 month old. Linda it was Aug. 1985 so you may have been on board. What a great job you did too. They provided everything. Our room steward brought everything for our son on silver trays and cloth napkins. The ship even suggested people leave the young children on board during shore excursions, for safety too. Sure wouldn't happen these days. I was a contestant during the game show, very fun . Our cruise director wanted to be a game show host after he left Sitmar. We were on board the week Rock Hudson died. Our table mates were bumped from Ph suite for Rock Hudsons boyfriend. He was a TV star too and we saw him in St. Thomas. It's late and I can't remember his name. Gomer Pyle was his TV name I think.

Wave Songs

• 1 month later...

I'm very lucky to have taken 5 cruises with Sitmar before I graduated high school. Cruised on the Fairwind (Caribbean) 4 times and one wonderful 14-day cruise to Alaska on the Fairsea.

My sister and I looooved those Italian waiters and crew -- and boy could they flirt. Probably wouldn't be allowed these days! The food was so good, but we girls didn't care for the heavy alcohol-laden Italian desserts, so our waiter would always bring us ice cream and the big tiered platter of bon bons every night.

I still have a picture of me at the Captain's cocktail party, aged 10 with my hair up for the first time and shaking Captain Potenzoni's hand. I think my parents have about 20 Circolo glasses in the cabinet.

Anyone remember the tea they used to served in the Mediterranean lounge daily? With someone tinkling the ivories, all very classy. And the real cinema?

I miss those ships!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Fellow Sitmar Lovers!

Ahhh, the good old days! I have enjoyed reading all your posts! My first Sitmar Cruise was on the TSS Fairwind 1979. 10 day Caribbean. I was 10 and remember every minute. Waiters name was Joe from Italy (of course) and he was the best! I remember the children's area. The names of the ladies down there... was, Charlotte and Roxanne. Don't ask how I remember this stuff. I remember doing messages in a bottle and throwing them off the back of the ship... do that now and the environmentalists would have our heads! I remember the costume parties, the race horse games, bingo when the cost didn't put you in the poor house!

Remember how they would come to your table at dinner with the big divided white tray and had all sorts of antipasti and you would tell them what you would like?

I sail Princess mostly now, I guess because my Sitmar cruises count toward the past passenger benefits. I have sailed with Capt Nicola DiStephani on Princess, he was with Sitmar (he is now retired) and also I believe the head Chef for Princess was originally with Sitmar... I can't remember his name.

I don't think there will ever be another line like Sitmar. It was very intimate and the costumer service was just outstanding. We all are so lucky to have our memories... :)

over my 1st coffee. A loyal Fairwind 6x cruzer here. 13 Circolo glasses, 1 ashtray, 1 Circolo dish. I still have my scarves too, back then they didnt sell them, it was a gift from a Purser. Tee shirts hadnt hit the big time, but I had a Crew one(the one painters etc wore) I oft speak of the good ole days, as I now cruze about every 4 to 6 weeks, after Labor Day, and by Spring Break. Younger pax now dont know what is missing in service, DR food, and special request/no problem. Several scrap books in storage, a few less wrinkles, and not so much silver hair!. Last Week I spent w/ mom, and she has a 5x7 photo of me from lat 70's..It cost $3. Still hardly any wrinkles, hair is all white, but that old cruise smile still dominates the camera lens! Benn on 9, with b2b comnig up in 19 days..in a year..gotta get those numbers up!..and 11 booked..all CCL, 'cept 1 in Dec w/ K'garten pal on RCCL..gotta love 'em all. please bury me at sea!..Lucky

Thanks Ginnie - It's good to know Captain Potenzoni stayed with Princess for awhile. I wonder if any of the officers went to Silversea since it is owned by the family that owned Sitmar befire it was sold to Princess. It's out of my price range...but it sure seems wonderful!:)

I worked On the Fairsky and The Sky Princess ( Stage Manager) Under Cpt. Potenzoni and Cpt. Deetle. I had 3 cruise Directors (*Janet Edwards, Frank Castileoni and Rodger Lundblade) Janet being My favorite of course.

She sail uner the name of Pacific Sky..LAst I heard For P&O out of Australia.

Sitmar was a very fine line...I am glad I had the chance to be with them.

Richard Shetley

• 4 weeks later...
I worked on Sitmar in the Teen and Youth Centers in 1985 and 1986. It was a wonderful cruise line with superb service. I mostly sailed out of San Pedro doing the Mexico route but did a few Alaska, Caribbean and Panama Canal Cruises, too. I would love to hear from any passengers or staffers about your memories. Has anyone ever run into any Sitmar staff on Princess or any other line?

My first cruise was on Fair Sky in April of 1986 over Easter when I was 13. I did spend alot of time in the kids club. I remember we made a banner for when we stopped in Accopulco and met up with another Sitmar ship

• 2 weeks later...

I found this site by accident, but what a fabulous accident it is! I worked on Sitmar ships from 1983 to 1989 (and then Princess). I worked in the Youth Activities Department first, then the Cruise Staff. I recognize most of the names mentioned in your entries, and in fact remain in touch with many of my former friends from Sitmar days. Mark Iannazzo is one of them, as is Alan Scott, Maureen Ricker, Frank Castiglione, Janet Edwards, Matt Miller, Roger Lundblade, Ruth Lowell and more. Last year we held a Sitmar reunion in Los Angeles which unfortunately I couldn't attend. I still have several pieces of memorabilia from Sitmar days. Alan Kent was mentioned in several entries - he was living in Ft Lauderdale for a while but has returned to California. I believe Capt Nicola DeStefano has returned to Italy after living in Ft Lauderdale for several years. Someone mentioned Roger Blum, and I remember first meeting him years ago when he worked in the Purser's office and couldn't have been more than 20 years old at most. I first worked on Sitmar as a Youth Counselor in 1972, so my memories go way back! I'd love to read more of your entries as I don't believe I've ever loved any ships as I did the Sitmar ships. I continue to cruise but the mega ships will never hold the charm and allure of the Sitmar ships. You can have the rock-climbing walls and ice rinks, but give me the Italians and their unmatched flair for service! Ciao, Bella!

• 2 weeks later...
I remember just sticking my head out the door and calling my cabin steward's name and he'd answer. They were always close by to attend you. That went out the porthole along with so many other wonderful parts of cruising.

I too have my Circolo booklet. I brought it with me when I sailed on the Crown Princess last October...and wore my Circolo pin at the Captain's Club party. So many people, mostly crew, came over to see it. They had heard so much about them and wanted to see the book especially for themselves. I got lots of positive feedback.

I love, and still use, many of the things I "lifted" off of my Sitmar ships over the years. They always make me smile.

Did anyone else "collect" any Sitmar items when you sailed? Still have the items? :D

I went on two cruises with my parents and grandparents. First New Year's Panama Canal '81/'82 - Fairsea? then on the Fairwind? to Alaska in July/August 1984.

The second one I was in high school and hung out in the teen center with about a dozen other high schoolers. We had such a great time. I had an onboard romance (mostly innocent high school stuff).

When this group was leaving, and we were all crying, we all took one of the silver hammers that were attached to the fire alarms. I still have mine.

We had a couple of the Circolo glasses and my mom bought a set of the menus.

I see these ads for the mega cruises and I don't think they would compare with the Sitmar experience.

Although I do laugh when I remember having to stand in the laundry room to dry my hair on the first cruise. By the second one they had those little rooms with vanities to get ready in. At the time, I was young and was travelling with my favorite cousins so I thought it was a blast to talk and get ready at the same time. I can't imagine that happening today.

What current cruise line offers a Sitmar type experience? By this I mean, cabin stewards, formal night, etc...

Another memory...my grandma was older and starting to slip a little. Every night when it came time for dessert she would ask for peppermint icecream, which they didn't have. The people at the table next to us overheard this exchange several nights in a row so on the next port of call they found a Baskin Robbins and bought a quart of peppermint icecream for her. The staff kept in the kitchen freezer and our waiter brought her a dish every night thereafter.

• 1 month later...
I worked on Sitmar in the Teen and Youth Centers in 1985 and 1986. It was a wonderful cruise line with superb service. I mostly sailed out of San Pedro doing the Mexico route but did a few Alaska, Caribbean and Panama Canal Cruises, too. I would love to hear from any passengers or staffers about your memories. Has anyone ever run into any Sitmar staff on Princess or any other line?

Linda....

were you on the Fairwind to the Caribbean in 86?? I remember a Linda and want to go dig out my pictures.

Our Captain was Nicola DiStephani. I have loved reading all these posts from people that were teenagers on the ship then. I was 12 when I went and the waiters always so nice to the kids. Davide.... he was sooooo tall!! He told us he was the person that had to change all the light bulbs.

I so miss Sitmar, I'm going on my first Princess cruise in 71 days andI hope it's similar.....

I have enjoyed reading all these posts.

• 3 weeks later...

I sailed on the Fairsea to Mexico in December 1986 when I was 24. I went with my parents, sister and her boyfriend.

There was a contest where they appointed someone to be Mr. Fairsea and the passengers were supposed to try to figure out who it was by the end of the cruise. We were all surprised to find out on the last night that it was my dad, as he didn't say a word to any of us!

Two members of the cruise director staff were twins who seemed familiar to me. A couple of days into the cruise I realized they were the twins Trevor and Tracey from the TV show "Please Don't Eat the Daisies." They were Jeff and Joe Fithian, I think. They used it as a trivia question in a game later in the cruise.

I still have a Fairsea key chain. Fond memories...

Speaking of movies. If you've ever seen "Never Say Never Again" with Sean Connery as an older James Bond. Well it was filmed partially in the Bahamas and in one of the scenes you can see the Fairwind off in the distance.

Just a touch of movie trivia and a means to see the Fairwind. Shame both her and the Fairsea are long gone and are just wonderful fond memories. Sailed on both of them twice.

Ron

Hi Ron,

My name is Paul Nice and I was the English DJ who worked in the Fairwind Lounge from June till August 1977.

It's interesting to see how revered Allan Kent was in his capacity as cruise director. We had some great times and worked together along with Ken Nelson, Steve Weber who had been a writer with Saturday Night Live, and others.

Do you or anyone else reading this have any copies of the "Fairwind News" that was put under your door each night?

It would be great to get hold of even copies as unlike alot of other folk I have few momentos.....

• 4 weeks later...

I've just discovered this thread also. Being from Australia, I tend to spend most of my time in the P & O Australia thread, but decided to have a wander around the other boards. Imagine my delight when I saw this thread!! I have seen a few posters cruised on my favourite ship, Fairstar. I'm not sure if any of you are aware but there is a website dedicated to the Fairstar (http://www.tssfairstar.com) that has a lot of history and, in particular, some memorabilia from Sitmar and also Fairstar. Like some of you, the Captain on my last cruise on her was Augusto Lagomarsini. I also remember they used to silver serve you at the table, as well as cook at the table, particularly one of my favourite desserts - Crepe Suzette!! Another memory was their cooking demonstrations I used to love attending with my mum and dad.

I also cruised on Fairsky but was too young to remember.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I sailed the Fairsea twice. Was my first cruisees, took my 14 year old daughter. It is so different now than it was then. Besides the ship being a lot larger there isn't the personal service now as there was then. But I still love cruising. I also have a glass and the menus. I still have my photo album somewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

Lino was my room steward. Somehow my girlfriend Veronica and I lucked out and had him as our steward for two different cruises. He was the best room steward I ever had.

The head waiter remembered when I came back with my new husband on the Fairsky several years later that I liked Caesar salad, and every night he would make a fresh Caesar salad for our table. He remembered what type of tea I liked to drink as well.

My husband was so impressed when we got back rather late from the tour to Chichen Itza (sp?) how we left our room a disaster and came back after dinner and all the towels had been changed and our room completely freshened up. We were quite sorry when the line was sold to Princess. Never have had the same service since. Sitmar spoiled its passengers for any other cruise line.

Archived