Italy - Cruise - Help

Dear Lovely People,

We are planning a cruise trip for the first time ever and quite excited .(A couple with 9 yr old girl).

We want to see Italy (Mainly ..Rome , Venice , Florence/Pisa) . which Royal Caribbean do you suggest ? Port wise we are ok to board from anywhere .

Majority of the cruise I saw either going to Barcelona or Greece. But we have done both of these places already .

Thanks,

Sp

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I cannot find one RC cruise that visits all the cities you mentioned.

Jewel starts in Rome and has some cruises visit Naples.

Freedom starts in Barcelona and has some cruises visit Rome and Naples.

Rhapsody starts in Venice and has no other stops in italy.

Navigator starts in Southampton and visits Rome, Florence, and Genoa.

Independence starts in Southampton and visits Rome and Florence.

Not sure you'll find a single cruise itinerary with those stops on RCI. Celebrity Constellation has a few 11 night sailings every summer that go from Barcelona to Venice that hits of your desired stops. Not sure that you 9 year old would like a Celebrity sailing though. You might want to explore some MSC itineraries. They have a lot of new ships coming out in the next 18 months.

Edited by Tommy3putts

Royal Caribbean has two slightly different itineraries that cover the ports you want on various dates.

12 Night Mediterranean Venice Cruise

Leaving from: Barcelona, Spain

Onboard: Vision of the Seas

This cruise visits 8 ports

• Barcelona, Spain
  • Nice (Villefranche), France
  • Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy
  • Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy
  • Naples (Salerno), Italy
  • Venice, Italy
  • Ravenna, Italy
  • Kotor, Montenegro

• Barcelona, Spain
  • Provence (Marseilles), France
  • Monte Carlo (Cannes), France
  • Split, Croatia
  • Venice, Italy
  • Kotor, Montenegro

Royal Caribbean has two slightly different itineraries that cover the ports you want on various dates.

• Barcelona, Spain
  • Venice, Italy
  • Ravenna, Italy
  • Kotor, Montenegro

• Barcelona, Spain
  • Split, Croatia
  • Venice, Italy
  • Kotor, Montenegro

Good find, I had limited the search to 2017.

Thanks you so much for your replies. I have seen a cruise - RC - 'SYMPHONY OF THE SEAS" which starts at Rome and goes to Capri, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Florence/Pisa and again Back to Rome .

I just want to know if we want to leave the cruise at Florence - are we allowed to do so ? In that case do they charge us the same or less ?

(Friends we are first timer - so may be this is a silly question. Sorry for that)

Thanks,

SP

Thanks you so much for your replies. I have seen a cruise - RC - 'SYMPHONY OF THE SEAS" which starts at Rome and goes to Capri, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Florence/Pisa and again Back to Rome .

I just want to know if we want to leave the cruise at Florence - are we allowed to do so ? In that case do they charge us the same or less ?

(Friends we are first timer - so may be this is a silly question. Sorry for that)

Thanks,

SP

You can leave the ship early if you like. You must arrange that in advance with the cruise line. You will be charged full fare.

Thank you so much for quick replies .

So far we have short listed few which has a stop at "Livorno (Pisa and Florence)" . I just want to know do they have enough time to go and see Leaning tower and back to ship on time ?

How long is the stop there?

Depending on how long you are in port. We did the Barcelona around trip with stops in Rome, Livorno and Venice. We arranged a private tour in Livorno and were able to spend time in both Pisa/Leaning Tower and Florence. The Port of Call boards are full of information on these ports. It may be helpful in planning your cruise.

Happy sailing!

• Barcelona, Spain
  • Venice, Italy
  • Ravenna, Italy
  • Kotor, Montenegro

• Barcelona, Spain
  • Split, Croatia
  • Venice, Italy
  • Kotor, Montenegro

We did a 12 day cruise last September on Brilliance that had 9 stops Barcelona, Spain

Nice (Villefranche), France

Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy

Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Naples (Salerno), Italy

Venice, Italy

Ravenna, Italy

also Croatia / Dubrovnik

the 5 stops in Italy sold me on this

My 2 cents? If you really want to see Italy do a land-based trip, not a cruise. When you try to see places like Rome, Florence and Venice during a one day port call, you really aren't doing it justice. You end up on very long tours, with brief stops to see the highlights. Take your time and spend a few days in each and really enjoy them. I'd add a few days in Naples too, though. See Pompeii (allowing far more than the 2 hours most combo tours will give you there), hire a driver and spend a day seeing the Amalfi Coast, take the ferry to Capri one day, etc.

So far we have short listed few which has a stop at "Livorno (Pisa and Florence)" . I just want to know do they have enough time to go and see Leaning tower and back to ship on time ?

Port time in Livorno is generally 12hrs. Going to Pisa from Livorno is not a problem at all as that is only a 40mins drive so even half a day you can see Pisa. Florence is a little distance away but it is still very possibly to see both Florence and Pisa on a same port day provided it is the 12hrs stay. There is coach tour that do Pisa on its own or both Florence and Pisa, take at a look at Tuscany Bus.

My 2 cents? If you really want to see Italy do a land-based trip, not a cruise. When you try to see places like Rome, Florence and Venice during a one day port call, you really aren't doing it justice. You end up on very long tours, with brief stops to see the highlights. Take your time and spend a few days in each and really enjoy them. I'd add a few days in Naples too, though. See Pompeii (allowing far more than the 2 hours most combo tours will give you there), hire a driver and spend a day seeing the Amalfi Coast, take the ferry to Capri one day, etc.

Pretty close to my opinion Rome and other ports on a cruse ship are OK but you never really get to experience the country unless you do it on your own or small group "at leisure" land tour with no less than 3 days in each city.

Thank you so much for quick replies .

Pisa was about 30 min drive from Livorno, we did a great trip by Papillion that included Pisa ( spent about 90 min there) then Florence where we went to museum with David, had time to walk around and have lunch and shop then a wine tasting in a vineyard , all this was in about 10 or 11 hours, we were on Brilliance, note seems like RCCL has changed port from Livorno to another port in the area on some ships

Friends... Thank you once again for all the replies.. After getting so many feedbacks and suggestions for not to do Italy on cruise (but from land to see the cities properly) we are now thinking to do the cruise trip from Copenhagen. Somehow we are fixed on RC Only. So started all the research all over again and your feedbacks are important to us. We are evaluating "7 NIGHT NORWEGIAN FJORDS CRUISE" and "7 NIGHT SCANDINAVIA AND RUSSIA CRUISE". Basically we are fixed on a cruise trip in Europe - which should be max 7/8 days types and which can give us a good opportunity to see some nice places as well (historic/beautiful)

Search for Genoa sailings we did that a few years ago and went counter clock wise around the Med. It hit most of those ports you mentioned. You do not want to miss Pompey it's amazing.

We have done the Baltic leaving out of Harwich going to Oslo, Copenhagen, Gibraltar, Cork, and Barcelona. Not sure how a nine year old would like that itinerary.