Sitting for Children under 3

OrlEngr

Besides the private in-cabin babysitting, RCI offers Aquatots (ages 18mos.-36mos.). This is a 45 min. program held in one of the lounges (not sure if every day or not). It is sponsored by Fisher-Price and one of kids' program counselors brings out a bunch of Fisher-Price toys for the little ones to play with. Not really much of a baby-sitting service since a parent or other care-giver must stay with the child. I went with my 22mo. old grand-daughter and she had a great time! They also have Aquababies for kids 6mos.-18mos..

Besides the private in-cabin babysitting, RCI offers Aquatots (ages 18mos.-36mos.). This is a 45 min. program held in one of the lounges (not sure if every day or not). It is sponsored by Fisher-Price and one of kids' program counselors brings out a bunch of Fisher-Price toys for the little ones to play with. Not really much of a baby-sitting service since a parent or other care-giver must stay with the child. I went with my 22mo. old grand-daughter and she had a great time! They also have Aquababies for kids 6mos.-18mos..

Do they really "throw" you out after the 45 minutes is up or will they let the kids stay and play with the toys without employees being there? Is there anywhere else that tots can be amused?

My daughter was in the Aquababies program and yes, it was every morning, at the same time. It had a different theme to each day and the 'class' started and ended with a song and had directional play in the middle. She loved it. Definately a parent-participation activity though. At the end of the sessions, the toys were packed up and you couldn't stay any longer. Unless your child is fully potty trained, they won't even allow the child inside the normal kids program or facilities. Although, if your under 3 year old is fully trained I believe that you can take him/her to the kids center as long as a parent is with him/her.

There's information about the program on RCCL's website.

Jenn

Celebrity Bride is correct, although our session was almost an hour,not that it makes much difference.

There really is nothing else for children under 3. I think this is why some say that a cruise can be hard for those who bring "babies" and still want some free time to themselves. You can always bring Grandma and /or Grandpa along for some extra help--hence my time at Aquatots as mentioned in my previous post. Good Luck!!

My daughter was in the Aquababies program and yes, it was every morning, at the same time. It had a different theme to each day and the 'class' started and ended with a song and had directional play in the middle. She loved it. Definately a parent-participation activity though. At the end of the sessions, the toys were packed up and you couldn't stay any longer. Unless your child is fully potty trained, they won't even allow the child inside the normal kids program or facilities. Although, if your under 3 year old is fully trained I believe that you can take him/her to the kids center as long as a parent is with him/her.

There's information about the program on RCCL's website.

Jenn

Sorry, but the age minimum for Adventure Ocean (the regular kid's club) is 3 years old (and fully potty trained, as you mention). There are no exceptions, regardless of whether the parents are willing to stay or not. (I should say, that's how it's been on every cruise we've done and what's been reported for years. It's possible that certain cruises or ships may have exceptions with mom and dad staying, but that is absolutely not the norm.)

beachchick

There really is nothing else for children under 3. I think this is why some say that a cruise can be hard for those who bring "babies" and still want some free time to themselves. You can always bring Grandma and /or Grandpa along for some extra help--hence my time at Aquatots as mentioned in my previous post. Good Luck!!

Perish that thought. Grandpa! & Grandma!

However beachchick - the Aquatots program is relatively new - maybe just this year, so it does at least give them some playtime under 3.

Right about the Aquatots and how it allows the little ones some "parent and me" play time. However, I was responding specifically to a post that mentioned parents taking their younger than 3 year old child to AO and then staying with the child. This is not allowed. They are very strict about the age minimum, regardless of whether a parent volunteers to stay. Even if a child is fully potty trained, he or she must be a minimum of 3 years old to participate in AO. I didn't want cruisers to think that they could take children younger than that to AO and then have them be disappointed when they were turned away while on the ship.

beachchick

Hello,

My travel agent advised me that when she went on a Voyager class that they let them take their 2-year old to the night-time babysitting but they had to come up and change their diapers (RCL will not change diapers). Has anyone heard of this before?

I would prefer not to take a 2-yr old on a cruise and wait til he is older but our in-laws are paying for a Christmas trip for the whole family. I really hope there is some sort of babysitting other than in-room. My son will not stay with a stranger in our room.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Just wanted to toss in an interesting note regarding AO.

When we were on the VOS last week, the first day we toured the ship and walked both kids through AO, while in there I was talking to one of the Counselors and she asked if my DS would be participating. I told her no because he was not 100% potty trained. She told me I could bring him anyway (he is three), they have a 2 strike rule, so if I just came every hour or so and took him to the bathroom he probably wouldn't have an accident and then could stay. I thought this was really odd. We didn't do it, my DD couldn't go anyway....so it didn't make much difference.

I guess plenty of people were taking swim diapered toddlers into the whale pool too, we only saw that pool once (the day we toured the ship). We were told they could go in as long as their bottoms stayed out of the water (same counselor), which I guess makes sense, but could you imagine me explaining this to a 17 month old and 3 YO? We didn't go swimming on board the ship. The kids did enjoy the ocean in St. Thomas and Luc's Splash Bash, both without accidents! :)

Thanks for the input. I am very concerned about what we will do for a whole week if there is no babysitting in the camp. We have taken him on Carnival and on Disney but was able to leave him in the daycare and pay by the hour. He had a lot of fun and I was hoping RCCL would do the same.

Again, any input from anyone that has gone on RCCL with a non-potty trained 24-mth old is appreciated!!

We took our 2 year for Thanksgiving on Mariner. They had day and night babysitting. We reserved a sitter for every night from 8-11 PM. As soon as I got on the boat I requested the service. It was great. By day 2 my son was used to his new baby sitter. We left her his key and an umbrella stroller and she would take for ice cream. She would also change him and put him to sleep by the time we got back. I think in order to get someone consistently it is best to book them for the whole cruise. RCCL also gave us her room number and asked if she could come an hour earlier and she was very good at accomodating us. We paid her in cash every night and the last night I gave her tip as well.

I hope this helps. My two year hung out all day with us. But at night we were gone.

Thanks for the tip! I am not sure if my son will stay with a stranger or not, he is very shy. I may attempt to reserve someone for a few nights and just have to pay I suppose if it doesn't pan out.

Thanks!

Thanks for the tip! I am not sure if my son will stay with a stranger or not, he is very shy. I may attempt to reserve someone for a few nights and just have to pay I suppose if it doesn't pan out.

Thanks!

Just make sure you book early. We booked all the sitting we wanted the minute we got on board. You have to request the same sitter each night, and then be sure to discuss it with the sitter when they get there. We brought our laptop and some travel speakers and the kids would just watch DVD's while we were gone and were fast asleep by the time we got back.

Graycliff--

Do you remember the name of your sitter? Would you recommend her? We may use this service if they let us (DD will be turing 1 the day we get back from the cruise so technically won't yet be 1 yrs old for the in room babysitting...) and I would like a woman and the same person each night if we decide to use it. We are leaving on the Mariner on Sunday. Any advice would be great!

Sara

I just got back from the Vision Dec 4-11/05. I went with husband, parents, siblings and my 15 month old daughter. We did the Aquatos and Aquababies program but it was horrible. There was no singing, no music, no stories etc. A youth staff member broguht out some toys to play with but that's all. I t was NOT what I expected nor what I had read about the program. THe staff member was not qualified to work with toddlers either, he simply sat there and did not talk nor interact with my daughter. THe first morning of the program there were about 5 kids there after that it was only my daughter. I guess it was so bad noone wanted to return. The only reason we went back was because I was running out of things to do with her and at least it was different toys and a different room. Be prepared to spend alot of time running after your child, my daughter is interested in everything and we went all over the ship. I brought some toys that we played with in the cabin or by the pool but we mostly walked around, lots to look at. I also took her in the pool although it said "no children in swim diapers allowed" we were not the only ones in the pool with babies/toddlers either. She loved it. SHe had fun at the beaches (Mexican Riviera) and was fairly well behaved at all times during the cruise, we just had to kinda follow her lead with meals/naps/bed etc. We did book a babysitter fr every night from 9pm to midnight, while she was asleep. I would recommend doing this ASAP when you get on board, go to the purser's desk. I requested the same sitter each night and they booked me one on the spot. I talked to another mom who had a hard time getting a sitter later in the cruise. Also, bring lots of diapers, wipes etc, whatever you need. There was nowhere to buy these things on board (on our ship anyway). Bring some laundry soap to hand wash clothing in your cabin, laundry can ass up and get to be expensive. THe staff were all excellent with my daughter, bring her her meals and drinks right away, remembering what she ate the night before, talking to her, all remembered her name, etc. It was great. They only have pack and plays to sleep in and the one they brought us had no mattess on the bottom, not sure if that is normal or if it was missing. WE had not planned to put her in it anyway, we brough a bed rail and had the pullman made up in our room so Daddy slept up in the pullman and my daughter and I slept down in the twin beds, her with the rail on it. It worked very well. They also had lots of highcharis and booster seats on board, something I had been concerned baout prior to the cruise. Tht's all I can think of for now. Le me know if you have anymore questions.

Archived