Booked a W. Caribbean- got a Bahama cruise!

tgr1116

TGR,

DOn't forget to write your congressperson to ask them to let us go to Cuba! If we weren't still prohibiting our supposedly free citizens from travelling wherever we want, think how many other new ports we'd have to try! :)

Totally uncalled for:mad:

Totally uncalled for:mad:

Wow, sorry to have offended you! I didn't think there'd be any fans of the Cuba embargo on here. :confused:

Personally I can't wait till cruise ships can call at Cuba. I have spoken with people who have visited there and they say it's a lovely place.

Wow, sorry to have offended you! I didn't think there'd be any fans of the Cuba embargo on here. :confused:

Personally I can't wait till cruise ships can call at Cuba. I have spoken with people who have visited there and they say it's a lovely place.

Yeah, I was wondering why this would upset anyone. :confused:

Maybe it's insulting because it's rude and sarcastic.

I took it at face value because there are indeed many people who want to see the embargo ended. Cuba is known to be a wonderful tourist destination for many and there are a lot of people who truly want to have this as an option. I wouldn't be so quick to assume the poster was trying to be nasty.

I love RCCL. We are going on our 5th cruise with them (3rd on the Explorer) this month. I also enjoy this cruise forum. But it does get old when anyone who suggests that they are dissatisfied with any aspect of the cruise or how problems got handled is implied to be (pick one) a liar, a troll, a whiner, or stupid. Yes, I know perfectly well that the cruiseline can change its itinerary for any reason it wants. It could also serve food that isn't very good, or not keep its ships clean. None of these would violate its cruise contract, but none would be very smart for a company that wants to keep its customers happy and coming back so that it can continue to make money, which is what it is all about.

I can understand that a person who was looking forward to cruising the western Caribbean would be disappointed with CocoCay as a substitute in the winter. Of COURSE RCI has every right to do this, and may have very good reasons. The customer is still unhappy, and eventually, if RCCL or any cruiseline doesn't take care of customer satisfaction, they will lose a fair amount of business.

I enjoy reading positive reviews. But it is also informative to learn how RCCL handles the unexpected, (which they should EXPECT, after all :-).

I have learned a LOT from stories of how things were handled when things went wrong. And even in cases where it was OBVIOUS that RCCL had dropped the ball, some folks on this forum had to bash the poster.

I just hope that folks will continue to post their opinions and experiences, good, bad and in between.

Personal attacks aside, stating a contrary opinion, questioning the validity of claims, etc. is not bashing, it is part of the free exchange of views that this board is based on.

If all you want to do is vent, feel free, however, if all you're willing to accept in response is symphathetic posts you would be better off to vent elsewhere.

Maybe it's insulting because it's rude and sarcastic.

Ok, well, sorry to have offended anyone. It was 100% an earnest suggestion. I personally would love to have 3 or 4 more ports in the W. Carib. available to cruise ships instead of having 20,000 people tendering into Grand Cayman every Thursday.

I write my representatives every 6 months on topics that interest me, I had no idea my suggestion would be so offensive.

Racphoto,I'm sorry to be offended if you truly were suggesting Cuba as a port. I took it as a snide remark to people who were unhappy with Coco Cay. My apologies.

Yep, I was 100% serious but that's ok. :) I can't wait till we can visit there. I believe there are 6 or 7 ports that could handle cruise ships, whether or not there are attractions there that will draw passengers to all of them I don't know. Once ships start to visit, the tourist infrastructure will boom, just like Cozumel's did. As I said, people who have been there say the geography is stunning and the food, rum and music are fantastic.

To tgr's point, we too would be bummed out to miss coz. It is our favorite stop. We missed Grand Cayman on our last Mariner cruise due to a storm and did not find out until about 7:00 AM when Captain Johnny announced it. We had a nice day anyway.

Not that this will make you feel better, but back in the mid 1990's when we first went cruising in the western caribbean, Coco Cay was one of the standard ports on all WC itineraries. The first year, we went to Coz first, then GC, then Ocho Rios, then at sea, then Coco Cay. The next year they reversed direction and Coco Cay was the very first stop. Later, they developed Labadee and dropped Coco Cay from the western route. The point is that although it is a Bahama island, it has been on the Western Caribbean route before.

I am not trying to be defensive of RCL, just pointing out a fact. We are going on the Mariner next June and hope Coz is back to full strength by then.

I really do hope that you get a surprise visit to Cozumel instead of Coco Cay. I know that the people of Cozumel would be glad to have Mariner back as soon as possible.

Archived